QB commits are the key | Syracusefan.com

QB commits are the key

kcsu

Living Legend
Its obviously a theory and i haven't researched this at all but my hunch is that landing a highly regarded QB early helps land better players especially skill players. I think that losing the kid to Miami and not landing the QB from Canada is hurting us this cycle.

Those QB’s wouldn’t even be playing for another 3 years. These WR’s will be catching passes from TD till then and he is a stud. It may not help but I don’t think it is hurting us.

Again — do we really know what recruits we’re getting? We have all three stars most with at least a couple P5 offers. Where are we supposed to be? We became a southern football factory overnight?

Honestly, it will be exciting to get big name kids at some point but the idea that people think they actually know what these recruits are or aren’t is laughable. Let it play out.

Syracuse landed Tommy DeVito in April of 2016 for the 2017 class who was a 4* Elite 11 Underarmour All American and we didn't exactly light up the recruiting in skill positions for that cycle. You have to trust in Coach Babers, Coach Wittke, Coach Lynch, Coach Martin and the very capable Recruiting Staff. They will find the next guy to lead Syracuse University at quarterback. Yes having a very highly rated quarterback verbally committed may help, but it does not hurt you if you don't. These days it does not matter because today's young players if they don't see the field when they think they should, will just enter the portal and move on. Everything about this staff and how they view recruiting is about fit and how the recruit will mesh with this program. Van Dyke may regret going to Miami because he may get recruited over in the next cycle. Veilleux still may end up here, just a year later but also may be trying to land a spot at a program he views to be better than Syracuse. We will find out. Keep the faith, this very able staff will find the next great one. Go Orange!!!!!

Landing QB's early, especially highly rated QB's absolutely helps in recruiting. For the current situation, If TVD had committed there would have been two or three highly ranked Wr's committed or trying to commit by now. Kids want to play with other good players and they want to do it with guys in the same class as them. Players they will be with for the next 4 or 5 years.

Last edited:
Syracuse landed Tommy DeVito in April of 2016 for the 2017 class who was a 4* Elite 11 Underarmour All American and we didn't exactly light up the recruiting in skill positions for that cycle. You have to trust in Coach Babers, Coach Wittke, Coach Lynch, Coach Martin and the very capable Recruiting Staff. They will find the next guy to lead Syracuse University at quarterback. Yes having a very highly rated quarterback verbally committed may help, but it does not hurt you if you don't. These days it does not matter because today's young players if they don't see the field when they think they should, will just enter the portal and move on. Everything about this staff and how they view recruiting is about fit and how the recruit will mesh with this program. Van Dyke may regret going to Miami because he may get recruited over in the next cycle. Veilleux still may end up here, just a year later but also may be trying to land a spot at a program he views to be better than Syracuse. We will find out. Keep the faith, this very able staff will find the next great one. Go Orange!!!!!
The Garcia kid from Narbonne is the real deal. All the analysts think he's heading to Miami in 2021. TVD will have to battle him every day, every year.

Any thoughts about the Garcia to Miami talk affecting TVD’s commitment

Edit: Money is on it. Curse my bad signal.

Obviously quarterback recruiting has been the most important thing for the past 20 or so years, at the very least, but the transfer portal and the sheer quantity of high rated quarterbacks that transfer seemingly every semester has made it a little less important as talent can be snagged from elsewhere. The big boys take 1 to 3 strong quarterback recruits every cycle and those guys want to play so even if we strike out on a few big names recruits, I think it's very possible we could be an attractive landing place for disgruntled quarterbacks in the future. Dana Holgerson at WVU utilized this in a major way between Clint Trickett and Will Grier (albeit, who left Florida for other reasons). Oklahoma has also been a major beneficiary of this, as well. Would I rather have a high-rated quarterback commit here, yes, but there is another avenue to boosting the talent at the position. It's not guaranteed, as Drew Allen and Greg Paulus showed us, but there has been success. Trust Dino until he gives you reason to stop.