QB depth chart | Syracusefan.com

QB depth chart

dollarbill44

Hall of Fame
I know that a lot of you will call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind seeing Mahoney get a start with this offense. I like Dungey physically (that deep ball to ET throwing back across his body was a great, great throw), but I don't know that he's mentally where he needs to be right now. He hasn't shown patience in the pocket and seems too quick to abandon his reads - he rarely looks to the right. There were several plays Friday where he took off as soon as he felt the slightest buckle in the OL.

I am intrigued by Mahoney. We saw last year that he doesn't get rattled even against top competition and I think he's got very good arm strength. Obviously, there is a reason that the coaches aren't starting him over ED, maybe it's ball security, short pass accuracy, or something else.

I would just like to see what he can do with the first team offense - maybe throw him a series every now and then.

For the record, the staff LOVES Dungey.

With all due respect to Mahoney, I hope we don't see him start this year because that will mean that Dungey is injured.

Dungey is their QB and it's not close.

I know that a lot of you will call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind seeing Mahoney get a start with this offense. I like Dungey physically (that deep ball to ET throwing back across his body was a great, great throw), but I don't know that he's mentally where he needs to be right now. He hasn't shown patience in the pocket and seems too quick to abandon his reads - he rarely looks to the right. There were several plays Friday where he took off as soon as he felt the slightest buckle in the OL.

I am intrigued by Mahoney. We saw last year that he doesn't get rattled even against top competition and I think he's got very good arm strength. Obviously, there is a reason that the coaches aren't starting him over ED, maybe it's ball security, short pass accuracy, or something else.

I would just like to see what he can do with the first team offense - maybe throw him a series every now and then.

I think you're going to get your wish, but not the way we all hope. Dungey has little time, and we're realizing we probably need to run him a little more than Dino would like. And when he does run, his instinct takes over (another hurdle and dumped on his head). I don't think he's going to hold up.

As far as Dungey's play, I think he's fine, good grasp of the offense. But as OrangePa said, we tried a lot of double moves by the WRs and they couldn't separate at all. Plus Dungey's clock is ticking quickly back there given the protection. Having any other QB isn't going to make that better.

You're crazy. :bat:
But seriously, I'm not sure Mahoney is better than Dungey in any skill set. If SU is to make a bowl it will be because of ED.

Mahoney has a stronger arm and runs smarter than Dungey.

I don't completely disagree with you but I just like Mahoney, his accuracy will always be an issue. I agree with Chip though I don't see Dungey going the season without missing at least a game. Don't get me wrong I think Dungey is clearly a better overall talent but his arm talent is average at best, at best. I am not seeing a ton of growth from last year yet either

Police-Academy-1-Guttenberg.jpg

there were times Friday night I wanted to see Mahoney. I don't believe for a second there should be a QB controversy, I just wanted a different look.

Changing a QB two games into a season with a drastically new offense that the QB did really well with in one game and pretty okay in the next game is an extreme overreaction.

Dungey has the 51st best QBR rating in D1, tied for 15th in passing yards, 41st in completion %, and that's with one game against a top 15 defense. I doubt Mahoney would do any better.

Agreed, like I said Dungey is the better overall QB, but like Mahoney if he needs to go in at some point.
Agreed I think we are all comfortable with Mahoney at this point if he is pressed into service.

Changing a QB two games into a season with a drastically new offense that the QB did really well with in one game and pretty okay in the next game is an extreme overreaction.
I wasn't calling for a total change. I said, I'd like to see a series or two with the first team.

Maybe just to give the defense a different look from time to time. It's not unheard of in football.

As Dungey goes, our season goes. It's easy to forget how young he really is. Upside is, he's not a finished product. Down is... he's not a finished product.

I wasn't calling for a total change. I said, I'd like to see a series or two with the first team.

Maybe just to give the defense a different look from time to time. It's not unheard of in football.
It would be kind of fun. Have him run something completely different for a series.

Still with the hurry up, of course.

Mahoney has a stronger arm and runs smarter than Dungey.

I don't completely disagree with you but I just like Mahoney, his accuracy will always be an issue. I agree with Chip though I don't see Dungey going the season without missing at least a game. Don't get me wrong I think Dungey is clearly a better overall talent but his arm talent is average at best, at best. I am not seeing a ton of growth from last year yet either
Mahoney is way too inaccurate to even consider. I agree about dungey - his per pass numbers are about the same as last year. i still think he's good for a soph but i wonder how high the passing ceiling is (it'll be good enough i'm not worried but i don't think it'll ever be great which is ok)

Mahoney might have a stronger arm, but Mahoney's accuracy isn't as good as Dungey's. And in this offense, Dungey can make all of the throws, including the deep ones.

It's amazing what happens when we lose a game. This is a hard offense to learn, there are going to be road bumps. Dungey will be fine as long as starts sliding and not trying to hurdle guys.

Mahoney is way too inaccurate to even consider. I agree about dungey - his per pass numbers are about the same as last year. i still think he's good for a soph but i wonder how high the passing ceiling is (it'll be good enough i'm not worried but i don't think it'll ever be great which is ok)

Agreed.

I don't know there is any real difference in arm strength, but I do know Dungey is much more accurate.

Agreed I think we are all comfortable with Mahoney at this point if he is pressed into service.

Correct. The OP feels very much like the backup QB syndrome.

Everyone should be comfortable if Mahoney gets pressed into duty, but hopefully he won't be called to play--due to either a Dungey injury or ineffectiveness. Mahoney panning out as a former walk on addition also gives us the luxury of redshirting Culpepper [which is important to cultivate him as a long term asset], which in turn should enable the staff to similarly redshirt Devito next season. Best case scenario for BOTH of those players.

Dungey's #'s will improve and normalize when we play a few games against defenses that overmatch us up front and can't generate the same kind of upfield pressure / coverage that Louisville's athletes can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom