Class of 2025 - QB Joe Filardi (NY) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (4/23/24) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 QB Joe Filardi (NY) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (4/23/24)

There was some strange language on how that worked but I cant find it anymore.

It used to be like walkons couldnt practice until some date after the fall season began?

It may also be related to scholie stuff. Maybe if you dont get a full scholie its different than if you do?

Didn't think you could do this but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I agree It used to be called the Santana Moss Rule. He was a top receiver at Miami who did not get a football scholarship because the 'Canes were on probation and had lost some scholarships. So they put him on a track scholarship. They closed the loophole by establishing a hierarchy of sports: football-->basketball-->etc. with the scholarship of a multi-sport athlete assigned to the higher-ranked sport. As far as I know, the rule still applies.

In Filardi's case, that would be football over lacrosse.

I agree It used to be called the Santana Moss Rule. He was a top receiver at Miami who did not get a football scholarship because the 'Canes were on probation and had lost some scholarships. So they put him on a track scholarship. They closed the loophole by establishing a hierarchy of sports: football-->basketball-->etc. with the scholarship of a multi-sport athlete assigned to the higher-ranked sport. As far as I know, the rule still applies.

NCAA
come at me bring it GIF by G2 Esports

He doesn't seem to think so.

Isn’t there something about being recruited for the sport? If Syracuse didn’t recruit him as a football athlete, it’s ok for him to be a walk on?

I would think there may be some sort of a rule where if he plays a certain number of games in football he would need to be counted as a football scholarship. But if he doesn't really play he doesn't. I mean if some kid is primarily a lacrosse player and maybe a more of a borderline football recruit but also wants to see what could be in football on the side why should he be refused that opportunity because of scholarship numbers in football.

Last edited:
I think Scott Schwedes was the last guy who tried to do both, but he wasn't a LAX starter.
Coach Mac didn’t let him play lacrosse. He wanted to as it was his favorite sport, if I recall. He was a high school All American in lacrosse.

I believe the difference is that Santana Moss and those guys were getting full rides via track and other sports to circumvent the sanctions. In this case Filardi is only getting a partial scholarship via lax.
Faison of ND--
He was on a full lacrosse scholarship, and he starts on their first midfield.
He was a walk-on in football, but became a starter during the course of last season. Was the MVP of last season's Sun Bowl. So, they gave him a football scholarship. I don't know if they were forced to do so by rule. But one can't be on two athletic scholarships at once.

Faison of ND--
He was on a full lacrosse scholarship, and he starts on their first midfield.
He was a walk-on in football, but became a starter during the course of last season. Was the MVP of last season's Sun Bowl. So, they gave him a football scholarship. I don't know if they were forced to do so by rule. But one can't be on two athletic scholarships at once.

You sure he was on a full lax schollie? That seems unlikely. Assuming he wasn't the shift to a full fball one makes sense.