QB sacked % numbers | Syracusefan.com

QB sacked % numbers

Millhouse

Living Legend
Team Rankings says that we got sacked about 11% of the time (125th in the country)
If we only got sacked 5.5% of the time, that would be 50th in the country. We have to cut sacks in half to be 50th. YIKES

For Shrader, it would've meant that he would've thrown it away about 23 times. Let's say half his sacks were just thrown away.

His qb rating would've been 138 (56th) instead of 148 (34th in the country)

138 would've been much better than I expected.

I wish there were better stats about sacks but next year, i would expect his passer rating to go down if he gets better at not eating it - just something to keep in mind.

Can’t just assume half would be incompletions though. Little more time and he can make a better throw too. Would have to include his throws under pressure and more stats to fully analyze this.

I fault the o line more than the qb. There were times he scrambled too quickly but only because of pressure up the middle. Less of that and he can actually read the field a little better and turn up as opposed to trying to go outside. Going outside is harder on the tackles too.

Team Rankings says that we got sacked about 11% of the time (125th in the country)
If we only got sacked 5.5% of the time, that would be 50th in the country. We have to cut sacks in half to be 50th. YIKES

For Shrader, it would've meant that he would've thrown it away about 23 times. Let's say half his sacks were just thrown away.

His qb rating would've been 138 (56th) instead of 148 (34th in the country)

138 would've been much better than I expected.

I wish there were better stats about sacks but next year, i would expect his passer rating to go down if he gets better at not eating it - just something to keep in mind.
I was told that there wouldn't be any math. Damn. So the first stat just regarding the sacks is bad and once again is EQUALLY indicative of poor line play and GS getting rid of the ball.
Your projection of him having a lower passer rating is flawed because you are only allowing for the ball to be thrown away. What if the oline plays better and the reduced sacks result in completions or net positive plays? You are only allowing for the one outcome of not eating it and throwing it away. Also you presume that if he ate it, he had time not to but it's clear that on a number of sacks no one could have thrown it away.

Can’t just assume half would be incompletions though. Little more time and he can make a better throw too. Would have to include his throws under pressure and more stats to fully analyze this.

I fault the o line more than the qb. There were times he scrambled too quickly but only because of pressure up the middle. Less of that and he can actually read the field a little better and turn up as opposed to trying to go outside. Going outside is harder on the tackles too.
I'm chalking half of them up to him eating it

No doubt that sounds of them are jailbreak messes

I'd like to see SU have a math student parse the numbers for stats on things like this. Make it a thesis or the like or a job for the football team of throw aways from pressure, misthrows and coverage misthrows... ect and figure out a calculation that would give the staff and QB's a closer look at efficiency.

Sacks are a stat that is just as much about bad blocking as bad decisions..

Sometimes the QB should throw it away.. But Sometimes the WRs run the wrong routes and its too late to throw it away..

Sometimes the blocking is awful. Sometimes its confused. Sometimes the QB needs to step up not out. Sometimes the QB needs to hang in.

you make 1 less of these mistakes a game and you can take away multiple sacks pretty easily.

Sacks are a stat that is just as much about bad blocking as bad decisions..

Sometimes the QB should throw it away.. But Sometimes the WRs run the wrong routes and its too late to throw it away..

Sometimes the blocking is awful. Sometimes its confused. Sometimes the QB needs to step up not out. Sometimes the QB needs to hang in.

you make 1 less of these mistakes a game and you can take away multiple sacks pretty easily.
A couple posts here make it seem like I'm talking about eliminating all sacks.

I don't know what to tell people who don't notice all the times he doesn't throw the ball. It happens more with him than other QBs. No one's perfect, this is where he can get even better

Last edited:
A couple posts here make it seem like I'm talking about eliminating all sacks.

I don't know what to tell people who don't notice all the times he doesn't throw the ball. It happens more with him than other QBs. Ni ones perfect this, this is where he can get even better
I agree.. without going back and looking I can see more sacks caused by the QB than by the blocking.. There were more than enough time to throw it away.. But then since we dont have the all 22 look we also dont know if the throwing it away was also the right decision had the WRs been doing the right things..

According to ESPN we gave up 42 sacks in 13 games. 6 of those were at Pitt where are QB had the classic deer in headlights appearance.

I agree.. without going back and looking I can see more sacks caused by the QB than by the blocking.. There were more than enough time to throw it away.. But then since we dont have the all 22 look we also dont know if the throwing it away was also the right decision had the WRs been doing the right things..
We know that incompletions are better than sacks for the team, but not for QB rating.

This is why adjusted net yards per attempt any/a is such a simple and good stat but college football statistics aren't smart enough to tell sacks from tackles for loss on rushes

I think some of the rumors and body language back of wr back this up. He reminds me of the old basketball players that would make sure the quarter ending heaves just happened to be after the buzzer (I think they don't count them anymore as misses)

We know that incompletions are better than sacks for the team, but not for QB rating.

This is why adjusted net yards per attempt any/a is such a simple and good stat but college football statistics aren't smart enough to tell sacks from tackles for loss on rushes

I think some of the rumors and body language back of wr back this up. He reminds me of the old basketball players that would make sure the quarter ending heaves just happened to be after the buzzer (I think they don't count them anymore as misses)
shots at end of quarters/halves that are more than just normal shots were never counted as shots unless they went in from at least the 70s on when i was doing score books.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom