QB | Syracusefan.com

QB

B

BillSU

The importance of a very, very, good QB at the position cannot be emphasized enough. We had one but when Eric went down the season did too. He is the closest thing to an elite QB we have. His numbers were great and without him there is no one as good chomping at the bit waiting to show what he can do as good or better. Maybe next year if Eric is able to play there will be that one two combination of Dungey / DeVito. A bit early to tell. Hopefully he’ll return this year – that would be so good. It is too bad he couldn’t have had a season without injury. I was enjoying watching he and his numbers climb higher and higher and his connection to Amba was magic. He was the director in charge. Let’s see where this goes.

The importance of a very, very, good QB at the position cannot be emphasized enough. We had one but when Eric went down the season did too. He is the closest thing to an elite QB we have. His numbers were great and without him there is no one as good chomping at the bit waiting to show what he can do as good or better. Maybe next year if Eric is able to play there will be that one two combination of Dungey / DeVito. A bit early to tell. Hopefully he’ll return this year – that would be so good. It is too bad he couldn’t have had a season without injury. I was enjoying watching he and his numbers climb higher and higher and his connection to Amba was magic. He was the director in charge. Let’s see where this goes.
I'd expect Rex to backup Eric, and Devito to redshirt.

I'd expect Rex to backup Eric, and Devito to redshirt.
that was my hope too.

just not sure dungey will be a go so everyone may slide up a spot.

certainly room for a juco or a 5th year transfer...

Amazing that with the Dome and ample opportunities to play we have been able to recruit 2 legitimate P5 caliber QBs since McNabb. Hopefully that is over now with Rex and TD.

I've said it before, and Ill say it again... Devito NEEDS to RS. We need to build the program for the longterm.
Most freshman aren't ready to play at QB in our conference without a redshirt year to build up strength.

Culpepper was an early enrollee who participated in spring practice [even in a limited capacity] last year. He will be ready to back up Dungey next fall, and hopefully has the ability to step in for him as needed, if Dungey continues to have injury problems.

Amazing that with the Dome and ample opportunities to play we have been able to recruit 2 legitimate P5 caliber QBs since McNabb. Hopefully that is over now with Rex and TD.

I have often called this "The Great Quarterback Drought".

It was almost as if the coaching staffs had made up their mind that just about anyone could play the position for SU. Given the number of games that are on these days, it has been strange to flip from game to game seeing competent QB after competent QB after watching SU in an earlier game.

Were we asking too much given our offensive strategy?
Did the coaches think it wasn't important?
Could we just not compete for the talent, even with the Dome?

It went on for too long to not have some system-related basis.

I've said it before, and Ill say it again... Devito NEEDS to RS. We need to build the program for the longterm.

I agree 100%, I hate to ever have to rely on a true frosh to play at the qb spot, let them come in and RS, get stronger, etc

I agree 100%, I hate to ever have to rely on a true frosh to play at the qb spot, let them come in and RS, get stronger, etc

T hat's the strategy that's available to the "Have's" in college football.

With fan bases having the patience of four-year olds, its hard to do.

I honestly don't think we will see Eric under center again. He would not be going for a second opinion for a neck, shoulder or back injury. Also watching him in warm ups prior to NC State he had no problem throwing the ball to the WR group which indicated to me his injury was head related not a physical injury to his neck, back or shoulder.

Hopefully Dino will find a JUCO or grad transfer for 2017 so Devito can redshirt.

You are giving fan bases way too much credit, I wish my 5 year old had the patience of this fan base .

Culpepper was an early enrollee who participated in spring practice [even in a limited capacity] last year. He will be ready to back up Dungey next fall, and hopefully has the ability to step in for him as needed, if Dungey continues to have injury problems.

Dino also brought Rex down to Clemson to" experience it." I took that as a good sign.

(edit - i'm curious why a guy with one foot out the door would even bother ;))

There is a lot of room between "the haves" and "patience of four-year-olds". I don't disagree that most freshmen QB's need a RS year to build up strength. But they don't all need one. Coming in at 6'2" 216 I don't think strength is the main thing Rex C needs to work on. What I have gotten tired of these years is watching all these QB's come in and not being able to replace an existing QB that has under performed. A lot of this I blame on coaching and recruiting. ED is the first QB in a long time that gave me any hope. We'll see about Rex next year I guess. We definitely need a solid #2 if ED is going to be #1.

Dino also brought Rex down to Clemson to" experience it." I took that as a good sign.

(edit - i'm curious why a guy with one foot out the door would even bother ;))
Maybe because it is the right thing to do for the kid, maybe?

for someone to have preached family and faith to jump after one year would seem anti everything he has talked about. when i heard him talk this summer he was pretty adamant about building this program up and wanting to see what he could do at a place given some time. if this was year 3-4 i could see the talk if we were not where he wanted to be yet. This is year one and BAYLOR still has a ton of internal issues too.

Rex played QB at an absolute Powerhouse program in Tampa Plant. He should be prepared to succeed. I say play Rex, RS DeVito if possible, and bring on an awesome competition in 2018.

Rex played QB at an absolute Powerhouse program in Tampa Plant. He should be prepared to succeed. I say play Rex, RS DeVito if possible, and bring on an awesome competition in 2018.

Rex also hasn't played football in an actual game since his Jr year in HS, having missed his whole Sr year with the injury.

While he has a great pedigree, and certainly looks the part - we've had other guys like that not pan out either.
(o hai Drew Allen!! :p)

IF Dungey can't go next year, Rex will still need to beat out The Officer - which is not a given.

Perfect world, next year - Dungey is back better than ever, Rex beats out Mahoney for QB2, TD does a RS year and then dukes it out for QB1 in '18.

Rex also hasn't played football in an actual game since his Jr year in HS, having missed his whole Sr year with the injury.

While he has a great pedigree, and certainly looks the part - we've had other guys like that not pan out either.

IF Dungey can't go next year, Rex will still need to beat out The Officer - which is not a given.

Perfect world, next year - Dungey is back better than ever, Rex beats out Mahoney for QB2, TD does a RS year and then dukes it out for QB1 in '18.
Rex is 6'3" 228 lbs and if Dungey is not able to go next year, I will place money right now that Rex will be QB #1 with Mahoney #2 and Devito #3 with walk-on Mo Hasan ahead of him because Devito will red-shirt.

Rex is red-shirting for a reason, gaining experience like going to the Clemson game. I believe that Dino has plans for Rex, he is one of the 4 kids from Shafer's class that Dino kept remember.

Rex should be ahead of both Mahoney and Wilson but he is red-shirting, I believe that he is already QB#2 just biding his time until next year.

All I have to do is look at the schools that offered Culpepper to see which of those players is likely to ascend to the starting role under that scenario.

I get the out of sight / out of mind thing, but Rex was a big time recruit. He enrolled early to squeeze in an extra spring practice, to help him learn the offense faster. Many posters seem singularly focused on Devito while overlooking what this kid's potential is.

All I have to do is look at the schools that offered Culpepper to see which of those players is likely to ascend to the starting role under that scenario.

I get the out of sight / out of mind thing, but Rex was a big time recruit. He enrolled early to squeeze in an extra spring practice, to help him learn the offense faster. Many posters seem singularly focused on Devito while overlooking what this kid's potential is.
If Dungey can't go, Rex will be the guy with Mahoney backing him up and Devito will RS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom