QQ - how will the division schedule be in the ACC? | Syracusefan.com

QQ - how will the division schedule be in the ACC?

Alcuse01

Scout Team
yup I missed it, and now I can't find anything definitive -- so can someone help me out on how the future schedule will be? Same teams each year, different teams out of division, etc?

Thx

A breakdown of the future scheduling models include:
Football:
The Atlantic and Coastal divisions will remain the same with Syracuse joining the Atlantic and Pitt joining the Coastal. The current primary crossover partners will remain consistent with Syracuse and Pitt becoming primary crossover partners with each other.
When Pitt and Syracuse join the ACC, the league will play a nine-game conference schedule. The format will consist of each team playing all six in its division each year, plus its primary crossover partner each year and two rotating opponents from the opposite division. This six-year cycle allows each team to play each divisional opponent and its primary crossover partner six times (three home and three away) while also playing each rotating crossover opponent two times (one home and one away).
Men's and Women's Basketball:
As previously announced, the ACC will play an 18-game conference schedule beginning in 2012-13.
When Pitt and Syracuse join, each school will have one primary partner (Boston College and Syracuse; Clemson and Georgia Tech; Duke and North Carolina; Florida State and Miami; Maryland and Pitt; NC State and Wake Forest; Virginia and Virginia Tech).
The scheduling model will be based on a three-year cycle during which teams will play every league opponent at least once with the primary partners playing home and away annually while the other 12 rotate in groups of four: one year both home and away; one year at home only; and one year away only. Over the course of the three-year cycle primary partners play a total of six times and all other conference opponents play four times.
The format allows each program to see opponents with more regularity and creates an increase in competitive balance throughout the teams. It was determined that all 14 league members will continue to compete in the ACC Men's and Women's Tournaments and a decision on the Tournament formats will be announced at a later date.

For FB- play our division mates, Pitt, and then 2 crossover teams. So something like below:

Year 1/2: Miami, Duke
Year 3/4: VT, UVA
Year 5/6: GA Tech, UNC

For BBall- everyone once, BC a 2nd time, and then 4 teams a 2nd time. So something like the below:

Year 1 play twice: UNC, Duke, FSU, Miami
Year 2 play twice: MD, Pitt, UVA, VT
Year 3 play twice: GA Tech, Clemson, NC St, Wake,

For FB- play our division mates, Pitt, and then 2 crossover teams. So something like below:
Year 1/2: Miami, Duke
Year 3/4: VT, UVA
Year 5/6: GA Tech, UNC
Is this really the way they will do it? I wish they would do it with a yearly breakdown of 1/4, 2/5, 3/6. That way a kid could come in knowing he will get to play every other ACC team at least once.

Is this really the way they will do it? I wish they would do it with a yearly breakdown of 1/4, 2/5, 3/6. That way a kid could come in knowing he will get to play every other ACC team at least once.

Not sure how they will do it. We will have to see. It will be either 1/2 or 1/4 I would think. Easiest way to keep track.

I think it'll be more like this:

Year 1: Miami (H), Duke (A)
Year 2: VT (H), UVA (A)
Year 3: GA Tech (H), UNC (A)
Year 4: Miami (A), Duke (H)
Year 5: VT (A), UVA (H)
Year 6: GA Tech (A), UNC (H)

It a much more even distribution of the games.

I agree but conferences for what ever reason never seem to do that. Here is what BC has had so far:

05- UVA and UNC
06- Miami and Duke
07- Ga Tech and Miami
08- UNC and Ga Tech
09- UVA and UNC
10- Duke and UVA
11- Miami and Duke

That is what I meant. Rather than having the pairs play us in consecutive years (1/2, 3/4, 5/6) they would be evenly spaced (1/4, 2/5, 3/6) so that you play everyone in conference by the end of each 3 year period.

Thanks for this --
So we play clemson and fsu each year in fb... those are the 2 teams I'd really be interested in seeing at their place... for multiple reasons! Happy about that. (and fsu will be easiest game to get to)

Thanks for this --
So we play clemson and fsu each year in fb... those are the 2 teams I'd really be interested in seeing at their place... for multiple reasons! Happy about that. (and fsu will be easiest game to get to)

I love the fact that we wound up in the Atlantic rather than the Coastal (as I predicted when so many on many different boards thought we'd wind up in the Coastal).

Now we need to hope that we get FSU at home one year and Clemson at home the next year rather than get stuck with both either at home or away each year (like the old BE days when we played VT and Miami both at home or both away).

In terms of comparing what we had in the 90s, being in the Atlantic with Pitt our cross-over rival means we get our geographical rivals (BC, Pitt, and Maryland), FSU and Clemson (about equal to Miami and VT), and NC State and Wake (a big improvement over Rutgers and Temple in terms of quality of play if not in terms of geographical rivals).

Then add in the variety of two other teams from the Coastal not named Pitt and I can't wait for us to start playing football in the ACC.

Can't say the same for bb, but that wasn't ever going to be stable in the current college athletics landscape anyway.

Cheers,
Neil