Qualifications that i want to see in our next HC if Doug leaves | Syracusefan.com

Qualifications that i want to see in our next HC if Doug leaves

kcsu

Living Legend
1: I want a coach who also played at a high level. QB would be great i also like OL as they both require a ton of thinking vs just reacting.

2: I would love to have someone come from a football family. Kinda like a good hunting dog, bloodlines do matter.

3: A history of success.

4: Success with less. By this i mean have they won against superior talent vs because of superior talent.

5: Are they a teacher, do they have the respect of their peers

6: Experiance and connections both for recruiting and for hiring coaches.

7: Passion and fire. Not crazy but passion like we saw out of Doug the second half of this year passion.

8: Family guy.

Ok with that i think i have found a potential coach for us.

This coach played QB in HS. Was given a full ride to a D1 school and did well until an injury caused him to transfer to a lower division school. He ran the run and shoot O as a QB which i like as i want a guy who will take advantage of what we have started.

After school he became a grad assistant and did well. He moved onto a series of assistant coaching jobs and at each stop made his side of the ball much better. At one stop at a lower level D1 school he actually coached them into a top 20 spot beating Alabama, Maryland, and Iowa State in the same year. He has been a coordinator at two of the top football and academic institutions in the country and has recruiting and coaching contacts from coast to coast. He is a teacher of football and is considred one of the best coaches at clinics to the point that he has 8 dvd's on coaching to his credit.

He currently is coaching at a strong university in the east and has taken his unit rankings from being the 101st worst unit in all of college football to the top 20 in 4 years.

Please Doc if Doug realizes his dream and moves on the NFL dont wait more than a day to name Scott Shafer our next head coach.

Very good synopsis and great HC choice.

Is becoming a HC a professional goal of SS's? That could be the determining factor.

Very good synopsis and great HC choice.

Is becoming a HC a professional goal of SS's? That could be the determining factor.
Look up the guys background. His dad was a coach, SS played QB in the run and shoot at a very high level. He has turned around almost every D he has taken over. He knows how to defend QB's because he was one. He says that playing lights out with effort and passion are as important as talent. He has won against big schools at small schools. He sure knows how to recruit, he is very highly respected as a football teacher. He has the respect of his players and he would continue the continuity. Michigan and Stanford are not bad stops either. Hack is a good OC but i dont consider him HC ready at this point and would much rather have to replace him than Shafer. On a related note if we need a new OC we should take a hard look at the guy from North Dakota State. Very impressive O and the fact that they beat a big each year says something to me.

Shafer began his coaching career as a graduate assistant to Bill Mallory at Indiana University from 1991-1992.[14] For the 1991 Season, the team finished with a 7 and 4 record with 1 tie. The team also graduated a first round pick in Vaughn Dunbar who was taken 21st overall by the New Orleans Saints in the1992 NFL Draft.[15]

images

Scary that just seeing his name, I remember his mug from this card 20 years later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom