Quarter-pole storylines | Syracusefan.com

Quarter-pole storylines

billsin01

All American
So we officially passed the quarter-pole of the season in our last game and I always find that an interesting point of the season in the sense that while there is still a loooonnngggg way to go and a lot can happen, we are beyond the point where everything is a small sample size. Always feel like you have a bit of handle on what you know, and what you still need to find out. With that said, figured it's worth looking at what some of the intriguing stories (I'm leaving health issues out of it b/c they're a factor every year for every team) might be as we head toward the first chunk of conference play.

Adapt or die: How will JB tweak the zone?
There is a ton of data -- anecdotal and legit statistical data -- to suggest that college is following the NBA into a 3-point heavy era. The attempt rate had gone from 31% to 35% across college basketball from 2010 to 2016, but I would guess there will be a significant jump again this year as 241 of 351 are at at least 35% this season. Anecdotally, we've seen Colgate shoot basically 70% of it's shots from three and two individuals get red hot and win or nearly win a game on their own (Graham and Heurter).

To be fair to JB, it's not like he hasn't noticed. We've already seen one adjustment the past couple years as the wings play much higher with the ball at the top of the key effectively turning the zone into more of a 2-2-1, and then it shifts into almost a 3-2 when the ball swings to a wing.

So there is a segment that will argue we need to ditch the zone but it's not like playing man exclusively inherantly solves that problem. So the question that remains is this: Do we need to adapt more to continue to play exclusively zone? It's a legit question b/c we played OK in the zone last season once we figured out our rotation, got White on the wing and came together as a team. This year we're holding opponents to 61 ppg on .385 shooting overall. That said, we're surrendering 9+ made threes per game and allowing teams to shoot 35% -- a little higher than ideal.

My humble suggestion is that I'd love to see the zone get a bit more aggressive at the point of attack. I used to love when MCW or Andy Rautins would hound the ball outside the three-point line beyond the top of the key. Feel it takes away that straight-away long-range three and perhaps forces teams inside the three-point line a bit more often and disrupts the general flow of the offense (Heurter and Graham in particular shot deep, but largely uncontested threes from that spot all night). Also think we need our centers to cheat an extra step to get to the corner three and get our back-side guys gambling a bit more collapsing down close to the lane when they anticipate that pass.

Anyway, I"m not a coach. I don't see any reason the zone is any less equipped than M2M to handle three-point shooting teams but I do agree that we may need to see some more tweaks since not only are teams more comfortable shooting from out there, but thye also are more comfortable shooting from deep.

Can Frank Howard win over the haters?
So Frank had an atrocious game against UConn and, quite frankly, he's probably going to have a few more as he's not an ideal PG and he struggles against physical defenders -- especially smaller, quicker but still physical guys. Having said that, the guy half this board was hoping would transfer is averaging 15 and 6 and hitting 77% of his free throws. Struggling a bit from the field, but consider this: Howard has 54 assists on the year. The rest of the team combined? 60. Some of that has to do with struggles shooting the ball and lack of quality scorers. But the bottom line is we need frank desperately: can he be the second (or third depending on Brissett) scoring option on this team, while functioning as an adequate ball-handler and good defender? It's a big ask.

How many minutes can we buy with Battle and/or Howard off the floor?
Sidibe's injury led to Dolezaj at center and, in a pinch, it can probably work for a stretch against many teams. Washington has looked fine when he's gotten an opportunity, but JB has yet to trust HW with much responsibility. What would be awesome is if we get to a point where Washington could buy each of those guys a couple minutes off the floor each game. There is no question they are going to log a boatload of minutes, but if HW can provide some decent contributions from time to time, that would be a bonus.

Can we finish the rest of the OOC slate strong?
4-0 vs. G'town, Buffalo, Bona and E. Mich would be huge for a team that has struggled OOC for a bit. G'town Saturday is a huge first step but it's winnable. I would venture a guess that Bona might be every bit as tough and Buffalo is trickier than it sounds. If I had to gamble I'd say 3-1 but a 4-0 finish would put this team in a really nice spot (obviously) heading into conference play. If they did somehow manage to get to 12-1 then 9-9 in conference play would seem like a no-brainer NCAA tourney bid. Even 8-10 wouldn't preclude them from at least being in consideration.

Three-point shooting: Is this team as bad as it's looked so far?
So the brutal fact is that this team is currently hitting 28.5% of its threes -- good for 334th out of 351 DI squads. It's awful. But are we actually that bad? Frank's shot looks pretty good to me and I feel OK with him shooting an open three. Not a true 'shooter' I suppose but I'm OK with him shooting. Brissett looks like a better shooter than the way the results have played out. He's probably the key. Dolezaj's shot looks flat, Moyer's looks funky and he's benched any time he shoots it and I don't think we'll see a ton of minutes for washington. So how Brissett/Howard shoot is going to be a huge key for this team moving forward.

Last but not least: We know what Moyer and Dolezaj are now. What are they by the end of Jan/Feb?
Moyer put up 11 and 7 on 4-of-6 shooting, and put up 18 and 8 on 7-of-9 shooting. The rest of the season? 3 FGs. Ouch. Dolezaj has scored 0 points in three of the past six games and has zero FGs in four of the past six games. He put up 10 against MD and has put up five total points in the other five games. Ouch.

So we know neither of these guys is going to be a consistent offensive threat. We also know that Dolezaj has been outstanding while not scoring. If I'm doing a power-ranking of guys on this roster, I'm sliding him in at 4 (since Sidibe has been injured). But it would be really helpful to get a few buckets from time to time. I don't see it from Moyer this year b/c I think he's really trying to adjust to the style of play and the level of competition. The best bet is Dolezaj potentially getting a bit more aggressive on offense. He's not going to be a double-figures scorer, but can we get a few buckets a game out of him on 50% shooting?

So we officially passed the quarter-pole of the season

This team will get better on both ends of the floor over time. By March the defense will be elite. I don't think there is much mystery to how JB tweaks the zone. The first half he lets 3-point shooters shoot. If they are successful then in the second half the zone is pushed forward to defend the 3 tighter. A lot of times once a team has success they can't stop doing what they did the first half. Teams with really good players figure out how to win no matter what. But a lot times, like our last game with Colgate, they can't change from their first half habit of play.

In terms of 3 point shooting I'd like to see Brissett do the run around the baseline to an open wing catch and shoot 3-point shot Rautins used to do. Our offense needs a few new motion wrinkles. They do the same sets every time. Also, FH has to figure out how not to turn the ball over on an errant pass to someone who starts cutting to the basket. The team needs to work out when to cut and when to be ready to receive the pass. Again, this team has a lot of work on both ends. It will come in time. Right now all that matters is the team is on a good track to be able to be competitive once the ACC regular season games start. I think we have a very good chance to get 20 wins with this team. This is really exciting to me because I thought this year's team would be JB's worst season on record. I'm very pleasantly surprised so far! Plus I like the players on this team. They are a hard team not to like.

So there is a segment that will argue we need to ditch the zone but it's not like playing man exclusively inherantly solves that problem. So the question that remains is this: Do we need to adapt more to continue to play exclusively zone?

We will only play 2-3 zone. Here is JB's rationale for playing the zone 100% of the time:

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim says he learned (slowly) to rely on the zone defense

Need a story line about Oshea Brissett a better all-around player than projected.

And Pascal Chukwu developing into a serviceable center.

We can't shoot 3s, but we have 3 scorers who can drive and finish, and this team is getting on the offensive boards. If you miss shots, but rebound, you can hang with good teams.

Need a story line about Oshea Brissett a better all-around player than projected.

We can't shoot 3s, but we have 3 scorers who can drive and finish, and this team is getting on the offensive boards. If you miss shots, but rebound, you can hang with good teams.

True. Paschal and Oshae have exceeded expectations quite a bit like you say and that is helping the team all around. I think we have streaky drivers and finishers. TB and Oshae being the most reliable. Frank sometimes drives, sometimes can’t get by his guy, and then when he can he really struggles to finish still. We saw some floater potential last game and recently. Hope that continues. Often Frank and Tyus (Frank especially) stall too much just pounding the ball in one place wasting the shot clock and then we get a bad shot while the defense did nothing.

I posted in another thread about offensive efficiency. I’m not worried about the defense. It’s possible we haven’t been pushing up on shooters enough recently because of injuries to Sidibe and such. The perimeter D I expect to change and/or get better.

Oshae IS the third guy. 13.6/9.2! Certainly good enough. He just needs to pick his spots better. Offensive efficiency must get better or it will catch up with us sooner or later. We are ranked 106. Our tempo is 336. Yes we play zone and teams will hold the ball more but we are getting more stops on defense than in recent years and rebounding GREAT. Those extra possessions other teams aren’t getting and we are benefitting from that. That 106 number is not good at all. Virginia holds the ball on offense and Baylor plays zone. Their tempos are slow too like us but their AdjO efficiency ranks are 49 and 23 respectively. Ours MUST improve.

Last edited:
To me, the 1st almost third of the season is highlighted with no bad losses. Only 4 more OOC games and 2 of those might not be too bad of losses. Once in ACC play we wouldn't want to lose one to Pitt or GT (Wake has gotten a little better and thanks BC for beating Duke).

To Dave85 above and the call for Brisket to curl and shoot ala Rautins or Cooney. No, no, and no. Please stop. Rautins and Cooney were known shooters. Why would you increase the degree of difficulty on a 3 point shot for someone who is not yet proficient at a stand still open look?
The debate to me, is if Brisset is allowed to take wide open 3 point shots (ala Moyer). Not how you can/should design an offense around the weak point of his game.

. Rautins and Cooney were known shooters.
Yeah...you can't run "Boeheim's only set play" ...the double screen curl catch and shoot...for someone who's not a shooter.
Right now it appears the only guy who might be running that is Tyus Battle.
And even that's a maybe.

Agreed — I tried to avoid too much player specific stuff as I feel like we’ve dissected these guys a ton already. But both of yours are valid and I’m interested to see if battle can evolve a bit as well.

You really should be getting paid for this, or putting them on one of the fan blogs or something.

I’d be happy to do something on the reg for one of those sites but I’m dedicating way too much time to strategizing for my son’s 8-year-old CYO team to start my own thing. Lol.

Good right up. We are well ahead of where I was expecting. I thought we would lost to Maryland and G-Town when the season started but beat Yukon. I now think we will beat G-Town and run the table into the conference season. This team is much better than I was expecting. I thought we could be a good rebounding team but I think I just discounted the thought because we never are. I also thought we could be good defensively but I think I was still thinking too much about last year when looking at it. I was so wrong going into last year that I think I discounted some of things we are going to be good at this year.

...Rautins and Cooney were known shooters. Why would you increase the degree of difficulty on a 3 point shot for someone who is not yet proficient at a stand still open look?
The debate to me, is if Brisset is allowed to take wide open 3 point shots (ala Moyer). Not how you can/should design an offense around the weak point of his game.

Agree, don't need to run Brissett around -- the difference is Brissett can be part of the offense from the perimeter, and can get his own shot, something that Cooney could not do. Brissett has good form on that jumper -- the staff can work with what he has, and his percentages will improve. Comparison to Moyer? No.

Nice post OP. With how much turnover there is in college basketball nowadays, it's almost impossible to know what type of team you have until this point in the season. Like you, I think defense and guard-play will be our identity. Shooting and depth are our weaknesses for sure.

During several games this year, I found myself wondering if (and when) the NCAA will push the 3-pt line back again. Maybe that's just because we've been getting torched at times. But in 2007, they extended it by a foot to where it is now, 20 ft. 9 in. The NBA is currently at 23 ft. 9 in. Personally, I'd like to see that gap closed a bit.

Agree, don't need to run Brissett around -- the difference is Brissett can be part of the offense from the perimeter, and can get his own shot, something that Cooney could not do. Brissett has good form on that jumper -- the staff can work with what he has, and his percentages will improve. Comparison to Moyer? No.
The example of Moyer was to present the other extreme, to show more of where I lean as far as Brisset's role this year. He should be a limited volume 3 point shooter and his role should be more on driving to the hoop. In this role as a limited 3 pt shooter, our third option, he should be able to get clean, stand still, open looks and hit for a much better percentage than what he is currently doing - hopefully like CJ in his junior year.

I’m thinking Howard could play 10 great games in a row, but if he plays one bad game after the fans will be all over him.

Last edited:
I thinking Howard could play 10 great games in a row, but if he plays one bad game after the fans will be all over him.

I don't agree with that narrative -- at all. His performance against uconn was horrific, nearly historically bad. He literally could not have played worse. Criticism of that performance -- on a night against a traditional rival where the rest of the team played well -- was warranted. Hopefully he turns it around. He struggled in the first half against Colgate, but had a much better second half. We need more from him, as one of the key cogs on this team.

I don't agree with that narrative -- at all. His performance against uconn was horrific, nearly historically bad. He literally could not have played worse. Criticism of that performance -- on a night against a traditional rival where the rest of the team played well -- was warranted. Hopefully he turns it around. He struggled in the first half against Colgate, but had a much better second half. We need more from him, as one of the key cogs on this team.

Howard also had decent numbers last year against the soft part of the schedule and then fell apart against the conf schedule. I think it's totally fair to be really skeptical of him still.

When the season began, I was encouraged that SU seem to finally began to involve centers in the offense. But now the pf spot is laging. I think when either Moyer or Dolezaj get involved they can contibute. Its that since Battle is the focus of the offense, sometimes (or often times) it is to the detrament of the pf because they aren't in position to help him. Pascal or Oshea set the pick and roll or high post. Pfs get the garbage baskets.

When the season began, I was encouraged that SU seem to finally began to involve centers in the offense. But now the pf spot is laging. I think when either Moyer or Dolezaj get involved they can contibute. Its that since Battle is the focus of the offense, sometimes (or often times) it is to the detrament of the pf because they aren't in position to help him. Pascal or Oshea set the pick and roll or high post. Pfs get the garbage baskets.

The way we drive and finish there's always a lot of opportunities for those garbage baskets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom