Quarters vs. Halves | Syracusefan.com

Quarters vs. Halves

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Sitting at the game last night with my 9 year old, he keeps referring to things happening in this quarter or that quarter and I keep correcting him...they play halves in college basketball not quarters.

This morning I get my newspaper and there is a picture, I believe of BT and Cooney and its captioned something like, BT and Cooney confer during the 4th quarter of yesterday's game. Really? My son points it out to me this morning and is like see its not just me.

It got us to talking. In High School games are divided into four quarters as they are in the NBA, Olympic Basketball is played in quarters as are most international league games (I believe), so why is NCAA basketball played in halves??

Sitting at the game last night with my 9 year old, he keeps referring to things happening in this quarter or that quarter and I keep correcting him...they play halves in college basketball not quarters.

This morning I get my newspaper and there is a picture, I believe of BT and Cooney and its captioned something like, BT and Cooney confer during the 4th quarter of yesterday's game. Really? My son points it out to me this morning and is like see its not just me.

It got us to talking. In High School games are divided into four quarters as they are in the NBA, Olympic Basketball is played in quarters as are most international league games (I believe), so why is NCAA basketball played in halves??
Ive had the same conversation with my son. He has asked me this a few times and i have no answer.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Ive had the same conversation with my son. He has asked me this a few times and i have no answer.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
1) How did they decide that there are three periods in hockey
2) Why are there nine innings in baseball
3) Why is football 60 minutes
#thingsthatmakeyougohmmmmmmmm

1) How did they decide that there are three periods in hockey
2) Why are there nine innings in baseball
3) Why is football 60 minutes
#thingsthatmakeyougohmmmmmmmm

Well at every level there are 3 periods in hockey.
Baelball past little league is 9 innings
Post high school football is 60 minutes.

The 2 halves make no sense when every level of basketball is all played as quarters.

if college hoops was played with 4 10 minute quarters would it change the game at all?

if college hoops was played with 4 10 minute quarters would it change the game at all?
It does. They tried it a few years back in some early season tournaments. It slowed the game down more than you might think, because instead if having one opportunity to hold for the last shot before a stoppage in play, there were three. Totally killed the flow of the game to see teams try to negotiate for the right to take the last shot each quarter, which generally ends up being kind of a crappy shot as it is.

For my money, two twenty minute halves is the most perfect competition time establishment in sports.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

It would change the TV timeouts which are now every 4mins and would not fall on the 10min mark. And adding a new block of TV adds would extend the game longer than a 2 hr block TV tries to fit them into. I want 30sec clock like the women have.

I've always thought that games should be played under the same rules at all levels. A three pointer should be the same shot in high school, college, the olympics and the pros. I don't see why games have to be 32 mintues at one level, 40 at the next and 48 at the one after that. Make 'em all 40. I don't care if they use quarters or halves. It should be the same at all levels.