Question about Diaco | Syracusefan.com

Question about Diaco

bradrayle

Walk On
I love the idea of hiring Diaco but have one question?
I believe that ND and Diaco runs a 3-4 defense how would that translate to our players and how long would it take to adapt?

I think we've mixed it up a bit regarding 4-3 and 3-4 depending on situations but I could be wrong.

Honestly, am I the only one who thinks that, given our lack of overall size on defense, a 3-4 might not be bad for us?

I will grant you that I am by no means an expert on defensive schemes, as I'm more of a basketball guy and simply a football fan, and never played football myself, but it seems to me that 3-4 tends to have a lot of "tweener" types who end up rushing from the edge (guys like Mario Williams and DeMarcus Ware in the NFL, and a position that seems like it would have been good for a guy like Brandon Sharpe at SU).

Please correct me, people who know the X's and O's of football better than I do, this is merely my perception that, again, is based on never having played organized football in my life.

Honestly, am I the only one who thinks that, given our lack of overall size on defense, a 3-4 might not be bad for us?

I will grant you that I am by no means an expert on defensive schemes, as I'm more of a basketball guy and simply a football fan, and never played football myself, but it seems to me that 3-4 tends to have a lot of "tweener" types who end up rushing from the edge (guys like Mario Williams and DeMarcus Ware in the NFL, and a position that seems like it would have been good for a guy like Brandon Sharpe at SU).

Please correct me, people who know the X's and O's of football better than I do, this is merely my perception that, again, is based on never having played organized football in my life.

Actually in a 3-4 your DL (NT especially) will be larger than normal since they have one less guy taking up space up front and your LBers in the middle tend to be bigger since they have to take on blockers more often in the running game.

In my opinion a 3-4 relies more on personnel which is why it is used more in the NFL and not college where there are few teams with the size and depth to run it.

I was trying to put together what I was thinking for the defense. You need big defensive ends so Bromely would move outside to end and maybe raymon. If williams comes him and crume would be good for the nose tackle position. For ILB I think that Lynch and Spruil would be good. The problem I am having is where someone like Davis would fit and who our "OLB or rush linebackers" would be?

Actually in a 3-4 your DL (NT especially) will be larger than normal since they have one less guy taking up space up front and your LBers in the middle tend to be bigger since they have to take on blockers more often in the running game.

In my opinion a 3-4 relies more on personnel which is why it is used more in the NFL and not college where there are few teams with the size and depth to run it.
Thanks for that, because again, I don't really know the difference in terms of what you need as personnel for a 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3. I'd like to think we have the bodies to make it work, of course, but we shall see if it ever comes to that.

Another question is does anybody know what he ran in Cincinnati when he was with Brian Kelly then?

Another question is does anybody know what he ran in Cincinnati when he was with Brian Kelly then?
I think they ran a 3-4 that year, which was installed as he came on board as the DC.

With all the schools running 3 and 4 WR sets, we essentially ran the Okie as our base defense...I am quite sure we used it more than our base 4-3. In the event this happens, it should not be a total shock to our players.

Thanks for that, because again, I don't really know the difference in terms of what you need as personnel for a 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3. I'd like to think we have the bodies to make it work, of course, but we shall see if it ever comes to that.

Wayne Williams has ideal size for a NT in a 3-4 scheme. I don't know if he would have a suitable backup though (maybe Raymon?) which would mean having to do a lot of scheme switches depending on if he was in the game or not. Also, our current LBers are on the small side to be in a 3-4. Maybe if some of the pass rushing DE's could be converted.

I hope so I am all in on the Diaco bandwagon my only reservation was the 3-4 scheme and how it would work.

And we seem to be recruiting to have the flexibility to run both.

And we seem to be recruiting to have the flexibility to run both.

We run both now, although the base is 4-3. 3-4 is more about personnel than coaching acumen. We will definitely have the size in the DL to run a base 3-4. We do not have the size at LB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom