Question for basketball people | Syracusefan.com

Question for basketball people

Alsacs

Living Legend
How do you coach up half court offense?
This team is doing really and playing hard.
Rebounding, defensive effort are there.

General20 or people with coaching background what can we do in the halfcourt to help the halfcourt offense?

I still really won't get frustrated as this is a rebuilding year and the team is playing well.

I just watch these other games and see stuff done to get shots and stuff.
We don't do much other than pick and roll and 1 on 1 stuff.

What can we do? Even with more talented teams the offense always seems the same. The rebounding should help us be able to run more when we get Carey next year.

Last edited:
its funny how when you make shots you have an offense and when you miss shots you dont run an offense.
Making shots is not running an offense.
We have a defensive identity.
Our offense is all ISO and 1 on 1.
That relies on having good PGs.
We haven’t had great PG play the past few years.
I think our offensive system hurt a guy like Trevor Cooney.
Watch other games and see them on offense. It’s not all ISO ball.
Ball movement and motion help get good shots.

Making shots is not running an offense.
We have a defensive identity.
Our offense is all ISO and 1 on 1.
That relies on having good PGs.
We haven’t had great PG play the past few years.
I think our offensive system hurt a guy like Trevor Cooney.
Watch other games and see them on offense. It’s not all ISO ball.
Ball movement and motion help get good shots.

i hate to be the bearer of bad news here but I don't think there's a solution for this team. You can run all sorts of off the ball stuff you want but no one is going to worry about where Matt Moyer or marek dolecyz are. (Obviously Moyer busted the strategy yesterday, but that doesn't make it a bad one and i doubt anyone here is betting on a recurrence of that showing from mm). Teams are going to pressure Howard, sag off all non-battle-orangemen, and probably zone a non-insignificant amount of time. This years team probably just doesn't have the answers to that. there are no sets you can run to magically generate good shots consistently when you only have one and a half players who are threats from more than 10 feet.

Syracyse ran a beautiful offense in 09-10 - you can do that when there are threats everywhere. Even last years team had a pretty good looking offense, with a lot of ball movement when Gillon wasn't in hero mode.

If you can't shoot outside of 10 feet, take it to the hoop.

We've got a few guys who can attack the rim. They may not finish, but they do create a foul possibility, and we rebound offensively pretty well...a chance for a put back.

Not seeing much else.

Im confused its all ISO and 1-1 yet we run single and double ball screens all day long? the goal of every offense is to get it to the basket or get open shots. Some teams want open shots from 3 more than others and settle for that.. Some teams are content to just pass it around the outside and hope the D falls asleep. Some teams just stand in place. our best when teams zone us would be to put malek in the middle but he isnt a true threat to shoot or dribble so teams slump off a bit. We then could put Battle in there but then we lose our real threat from 3. So our best offense is really to try and stress the D with picks and pick and rolls and get the ball to turn the corner and attack the rim.. when we do it well we score 40 in a half. but you still need to make a few jump shots. We dont have Ralph Sampson to dump it to down low.. Sadibe I think can be a threat down there if he ever gets healthy.

We run a read and react pick and roll offense which is a good offense, but it requires tons of practice to master and you need to have shooters and bigs that can score. We are so young and lack shooters that it looks ugly right now. When we go one on one it’s because the set has broken down or Battle, Brissett, or Howard take over because they think they have a mismatch.

I have seen some options that we that we aren’t taking advantage of. Oshae continues to have matchup advantages, but instead of going inside more he continues to take jumpers. I’m not sure why this is the case.

The Dolezaj/Moyer spot is being left wide open and clogging up our sets making it more difficult for the other guys because they have yet to prove they can make a jumper. It’s very similar to the issues we had with Roberson. If Moyer plays like he did Tuesday it will start to open things up.

We aren’t going to run a motion set because it’s going to end up putting guys like Chukwu or Sidibe at the three point line and Battle in the Post. If we had 5 guys with similar skill sets it would be easier to run, but we don’t.

This is very much a situation where JB is going to run what he’s always ran because it keeps the ball in his playmakers hands and showcases the offense to future studs like Carey and Bazley where they know they will have the ball in their hands. It’s kind of like Dino in football. He might not have his guys yet, but he’s going to run his stuff to showcase to future players how they can be successful.

Last edited:
We run a read and react pick and roll offense which is a good offense, but it requires tons of practice to master and you need to shave shooters and bigs that can score. We are so young and lack shooters that it looks ugly right now. When we go one on one it’s because the set has broken down or Battle, Brissett, or Howard take over because they think they have a mismatch.

I have seen some options that we that we aren’t taking advantage of. Oshae continues to have matchup advantages, but instead of going inside more he continues to take jumpers. I’m not sure why this is the case.

The Dolezaj/Moyer spot is being left wide open and clogging up our sets making it more difficult for the other guys because they have yet to prove they can make a jumper. It’s very similar to the issues we had with Roberson. If Moyer plays like he did Tuesday it will start to open things up.

We aren’t going to run a motion set because it’s going to end up putting guys like Chukwu or Sidibe at the three point line and Battle in the Post. If we had 5 guys with similar skill sets it would be easier to run, but we don’t.

This is very much a situation where JB is going to run what he’s always ran because it keeps the ball in his playmakers hands and showcases the offense to future studs like Carey and Bazley where they know they will have the ball in their hands. It’s kind of like Dino in football. He might not have his guys yet, but he’s going to run his stuff to showcase to future players how they can be successful.
Good post even though our offense is frustrating even though this team is doing really well.

Good post even though our offense is frustrating even though this team is doing really well.

I think we are just going to have to live with it until we either prove we can make shots or Sidibes health improves. I don’t think chukwu is going to get better offensively than he is now. He’s Baye Keita with better hands.

I encourage people to watch our ball movement and player movement off the ball.

In our offense the ball 'sticks' (doesn't move enough). We have guys who like to dominate the ball and that becomes problematic as other guys just stand and watch.

I would also encourage some inside/out play on offense.

We run a read and react pick and roll offense which is a good offense, but it requires tons of practice to master and you need to have shooters and bigs that can score. We are so young and lack shooters that it looks ugly right now. When we go one on one it’s because the set has broken down or Battle, Brissett, or Howard take over because they think they have a mismatch.

Just for conversation I would argue that coach should run an offense that best suits his current roster, not kids coming a year from now.

With our small lineup I don't know why we wouldn't run some things through either Battle or Oshae in the low-post. They both are highly skilled and athletic players and I would bet they are more than capable of scoring from there.

Just for conversation I would argue that coach should run an offense that best suits his current roster, not kids coming a year from now.

With our small lineup I don't know why we wouldn't run some things through either Battle or Oshae in the low-post. They both are highly skilled and athletic players and I would bet they are more than capable of scoring from there.

In theory it sounds great, but where do you put Chukwu, Sidibe, or Dolezaj? At the three point line? Their guy isn’t going to guard them out there and most teams are just going to stick them down low as an extra person to guard one of those 2.

Here's an idea. Throw the ball into the post. Not to the center or Moyer, but to Brissett.

Would like to see more of Dolezaj in the high post. And not where he typically sets up at the foul line or below but in a true high post just inside the three point line.

I wish their could be an NBA defensive 3 second rule for college.
Teams could play zone but guys can’t packline the paint.

In theory it sounds great, but where do you put Chukwu, Sidibe, or Dolezaj? At the three point line? Their guy isn’t going to guard them out there and most teams are just going to stick them down low as an extra person to guard one of those 2.

I wouldn't do it with Chucky or Sid in the game. Our smaller lineup that we used the other night had Marek as center...I'm not saying this would be epic but yes I do believe you could have it as a different look.

If they don't double our post then we have a nice matchup. If they do double kick it out.

I would also explore some offense with Marek in the high post distributing the ball. The kid can pass the rock.

No, w
its funny how when you make shots you have an offense and when you miss shots you dont run an offense.
No, we can make shots and still 'not run an offense.' Sometimes that's exactly what happens.

Also frustrating to see a zone run against us, and we seemingly are baffled by it and settle for 23-footers by freshmen.

I encourage people to watch our ball movement and player movement off the ball.

In our offense the ball 'sticks' (doesn't move enough). We have guys who like to dominate the ball and that becomes problematic as other guys just stand and watch.

I would also encourage some inside/out play on offense.

There were a lot of bizarre possessions in the last game and some sprinkled throughout the season where Frank is way out behind the 3pt line just standing in one place dribbling and everybody else is way near the basket just standing. I don’t know what is supposed to be happening. It just stalls out. Occasionally UConn would apply some pressure (btw they didn’t do it all game like some posters have tried to say making it seem like poor Frank was under duress the whole game, lol) but the offense would just crap out between the 3pt line and halfcourt. Not sure if that is Frank being timid and not being able to get by his guy or the others just not moving at all for some reason. Maybe some of both. Something isn’t working. The teaching, execution, concepts, etc.

Last edited:
There were a lot of bizarre possessions in the last game and some sprinkled throughout the season where Frank is way out behind the 3pt line just standing in one place dribbling and every else is way near the basket just standing. I don’t know what is supposed to be happening. It just stalls out. Occasionally UConn would apply some pressure (btw they didn’t do it all game like some posters have tried to say making it seem like poor Frank was under duress the whole game, lol) but the offense would just crap out between the 3pt line and halfcourt. Not sure if that is Frank being timid and not being able to get by his guy or the others just not moving at all for some reason. Maybe some of both. Something isn’t working. The teaching, execution, concepts, etc.

I agree. Frankly I think if we are going to run high PNR it should be more often with Battle with the ball as he is the more athletic player (vs Frank).