Question on Macky's Weight | Syracusefan.com

Question on Macky's Weight

javadoc

All American
I checked upprdeck's DB and he shows Macky at 256 last year, 265 this year. Are those weights accurate, for those who actually know? (Please no "Well he doesn't look it to me!" types of posts, really want to know the facts here.) Can he add another 10 pounds by next year? Is 275 an OK weight for a C in our offense?

I have no idea what he weighs. 275 can play in college, provided (big if), that he has great full-body strength and can maintain foot speed and lateral quickness with the additional weight. There shouldn't be any excess fat, iow, he needs to be built like a brick house at 275, not like a marshmallow. I think you could make a pretty good center out of a 275 lb college all-american wrestler.

Too many people (not saying you are one of those people) get caught up in how a guy needs to weigh this or that to be successful. I know 300 lb women, but I wouldn't bet on them being able to play football.

Too many people (not saying you are one of those people) get caught up in how a guy needs to weigh this or that to be successful.
Exactly - I am trying to get a sense of whether adding 10 more pounds will improve Macky's performance, and whether it would alleviate the concerns of the "Macky sucks!" crowd that seems to awaken after every game. I think that at C you definitely want the guy to be heavier, all other things being equal. If Macky can add 10 pounds of muscle and can maintain quickness, great.

Problem with Macky is that when I look at him, he just looks fatter, especially around his mid-section. Not that he isn't getting stronger, but he's starting to look out of shape.

Overall, weights are more overrated than 40-times, IMO. They offer a basis of what you might be able to expect, but in reality, until these guys are physically mature and off doing their thing professionally and in their mid-late 20s, it should be more of a sidenote. Just look at Dyshawn, he did a good job of getting up to around 215, but didn't we hear somewhere that by the end of the year he was back down to around 207? Obviously gotta hit the weight before you can maintain it, but it's only the first step.

How much did Jason Kelce weigh at UC? He is supposedly a lighter center. He's a having a very good rookie year for PHI.

No one is saying a lightweight Center cannot have success. There are examples out there of smaller & lighter centers out there whom have gone on to have stellar NFL careers. However these are few and far between.

Generally speaking, physics rules apply to the Center position. The higher the mass of an object, the more energy it takes to move that mass.

I checked upprdeck's DB and he shows Macky at 256 last year, 265 this year. Are those weights accurate, for those who actually know? (Please no "Well he doesn't look it to me!" types of posts, really want to know the facts here.) Can he add another 10 pounds by next year? Is 275 an OK weight for a C in our offense?
Well he doesn't look it to me!

Sorry...I coundn't resist.:)

No one is saying a lightweight Center cannot have success. There are examples out there of smaller & lighter centers out there whom have gone on to have stellar NFL careers. However these are few and far between.

Generally speaking, physics rules apply to the Center position. The higher the mass of an object, the more energy it takes to move that mass.

You also have to consider the amount of force exerted outward from the object against the force being applied. Obviously, if you have two players of equal strength and explosive power, the one who weighs more will be more easily moved. But, if the lighter player is stronger, he can exert as much, if not more, counter force. I also would look to have a center that is more than just a slab in the middle. I would want one with some footwork and some hand speed and some explosive power, especially if you want to be able to run up the middle.

Generally speaking, physics rules apply to the Center position.
So what I am waiting for is someone who has coached (bees? JerseyOrange? CIL?) to answer a couple questions, which I can't since I don't have any of the games on DVR or other media:
  1. Does Macky really get "blown up" as some people claim? Is he consistently pushed into the backfield, and if so how severely? Again if so, is it a result of poor technique, lack of strength, lack of weight/size?
  2. If Macky has such problems (limitations?), can he address them through weightlifting or gaining a few pounds, even in theory (given his frame)? What weight would he need to be at to achieve this? Alternatively, what amount of strength increase is needed?
  3. How strong is Macky now? We usually get some weightlifting tidbits during the offseason. How do his numbers compare in the bench, squat, press, etc?
This stupid debate keeps going, and I wish someone would lay it all out, for better or worse. The best we hear is "Macky is the least of our problems." Fine, so please tell us what his problems are, and maybe offer an example or two from an actual game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom