Question to Dion & Fab | Syracusefan.com

Question to Dion & Fab

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
'Do you just want to play in the NBA, or do you want to be effective when you get there?' … Timing is everything."

That is the question that Jim Calhoun gave Rudy Gay when he was thinking about turning pro early. Gay heeded his coaches advice. In fact, despite the fact that Gay is now averaging 18.9 ppg
he said he would have stayed a third year if he had it to do over again.

He has advised both Andre Drummond a freshman and Jeremy Lamb a sophomore to stick around for another year. "The NBA is going to be there," he said. "Both of those guys are going to be drafted."

In the case of those two Huskies they won't be able to play in the NCAA tournament should UConn qualify in 2013 because of academic issues. In the case of Syracuse an NCAA bid in 2013 would be very much in the picture.

Question to Dion, "Are you a better player than Lamb?"

Question to Fab, "Are you a better player than Drummond?"

My answers would be no and even.

IMHO, Dion's game is nowhere near Dwayne Wade's when he turned pro. If Waiters chooses to turn pro after this year he has little chance to be a star or have a very long career, if he's even lucky enough to be drafted. In another year or two, with a lot of hard work and study of the game he has a chance. Just because a couple of announcers mention the word NBA when they see a sliver of his game, that is no reason to think he is ready.

Last night Dickie V got to see Fab Melo in person for the first time this season. He said Fab needs another year of college ball to work on his offensive skills. Not only that but he needs to work on his defensive skills too.

While he's averaging 3 blocks a game he could do better. Too often he is indecisive on what to do when a guard comes into the lane. He has to learn to hedge and make the guard commit to the basket or the pass. He is afraid of letting the big guy behind him get open for a shot.

He also get's off his feet too often on pump fakes. Another year of seasoning will put him up on another level defensively. He'll also have an off season to develop the footwork around the basket to create his own offense.

If I were your father(s) I would advise you to stay in school, get an education, enjoy the college experience and work on your game.

IMO, Drummond, Lamb and Gay are in a different class talent wise, they oooze nba. If I had to be honest, that might work for Melo, but for Dion, right now as a sophomore his potential helps overlook a lot of things that may never improve with his game. I'd say strike while the iron is hot for Dion, staying around doesn't work for everyone, look at that Reynolds kid for Nova, his first couple years they were all but sure he would be close to lottery pick.

Like I said above "Question to Dion, "Are you a better player than Lamb?"

Rudy Gay has advised both Andre Drummond a freshman and Jeremy Lamb a sophomore to stick around for another year. "The NBA is going to be there," he said. "Both of those guys are going to be drafted."

Here is the game Lamb had against us

IMHO Dion needs at least one more year of college basketball to work on his shot & decision making.

Ever since Fab Melo sat out Dion's game has regressed. Some say he is auditioning for the NBA. Everytime a Syracuse player goes away from team ball his game suffers and so to does his team's. If SU is to make a run it needs the early season Dion to reemerage.

And SU could win a national championship if you come back.

SU has a better chance to win a national championship if they don't come back.

1. Narlens Noel won't be coming to SU if de Melo decides to return. Just too many big men.

2. Love Waiters, but I think he's a ticking time bomb. I could see chemistry hurting with Waiters coming back on a Scoopless team.

Remember, the greatest teams are those in which the whole is always greater than the sum of all the parts. I prefer this rotation:

PG Michael Carter-Williams, So.
SG Brandon Triche, Sr.
SF CJ Fair, Jr.
PF Narlens Noel, Fr.
C Dajuan Coleman, Fr.

G Trevor Cooney, RFr.
F James Southerland, Sr.
F/C Rakeem Christmas, So.
C Baye Keita, Jr.

If Fabricio decides to come back, I certainly wouldn't lose sleep over it. I would be excited. I'd be more concerned with Waiters returning, as I think the chemstry would suck.

SU has a better chance to win a national championship if they don't come back.

1. Narlens Noel won't be coming to SU if de Melo decides to return. Just too many big men.

2. Love Waiters, but I think he's a ticking time bomb. I could see chemistry hurting with Waiters coming back on a Scoopless team.

Remember, the greatest teams are those in which the whole is always greater than the sum of all the parts. I prefer this rotation:

PG Michael Carter-Williams, So.
SG Brandon Triche, Sr.
SF CJ Fair, Jr.
PF Narlens Noel, Fr.
C Dajuan Coleman, Fr.

G Trevor Cooney, RFr.
F James Southerland, Sr.
F/C Rakeem Christmas, So.
C Baye Keita, Jr.

If Fabricio decides to come back, I certainly wouldn't lose sleep over it. I would be excited. I'd be more concerned with Waiters returning, as I think the chemstry would suck.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion but it's hard for me to understand how we could possibly have a better chance to win it all without Fab and Dion. We're 29-1 with those guys. We aren't sure how your scenario will pan out.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but it's hard for me to understand how we could possibly have a better chance to win it all without Fab and Dion. We're 29-1 with those guys. We aren't sure how your scenario will pan out.

We also aren't sure how your scenario will pan out.

We're 29-1 with those guys, plus Scoop and Joseph. Take away Scoop and Joseph, are we 29-1?