Questions...and few answers | Syracusefan.com

Questions...and few answers

Flacusian

All Conference
I've been a Syracuse Basketball fan since 1973 and of all the sports I follow... Cuse Basketball is head and shoulders above all the rest in terms of my love of the team. The past 8 years or so have provided a lot to be excited about and it seemed like the program had really gotten it's swagger back. But there have been some warning signs that all was not well. A lot of negative publicity with the Bernie Fine accusations and then the culmination of the decade long investigation into the program and the subsequent penalties by the NCAA. In spite of that we somehow made it to 2 final 4's and had some epic moments which will forever be memorable.

It seemed promising when we were able to plug a depleted squad with 2 fifth year transfers and there was expectation that having a 7'2" body anchoring the zone would equate into a great defense. It also appeared that we would have more than one shooter and the offensive woes we've had in recent years would be remedied. Even JB boasted that this was going to be" one of the best teams we've had".

But, as we are all aware, it's most assuredly not unfolding that way. It's difficult to pinpoint specifically what the underlying problems are but there are a few things that seem to indicate things might not improve anytime soon. I know we have 2 commitments for next year but there can't be much argument about the fact that SU whiffed on ALL of the top talent this recruiting cycle. That is compounded by the fact that is seemed we were in a position to offer a ton of playing time to those who would decide to come here.

Early departures have played a role in making things difficult, but most all the other top teams in the NCAA are faced with the same thing. Even though the top kids rarely stay on board more than one season you have to wonder if JB's impending retirement is playing a part in making Cuse less attractive as a landing spot.

When you watch this team... and our offense, it seems like there isn't much about it that is attractive to a kid looking for a place to show what he's got. When the zone is manned by players who can play it the way JB has developed it it can provide you with a team that can win consistently based on great defensive play. It even leaves a little latitude for offensive inefficiency. But with the current crop we have, and for whatever reason, it does not seem to be working. Whereas it used to be that teams which were very physical and played like Louisville and Pitt could make the zone look inefficient... now it seems like just about everyone has the playbook.

It wasn't long ago it looked like JB would have a chance at going out ... "on top", I don't think it would be easy to find anyone who still feels that way. My fear is that should this team not be able to find a way to play well together we are going to have an abysmal year and recruiting... which is in question at the current time, will take even a bigger hit and we will find ourselves in a position of Hop... or perhaps someone else taking over the reins of the program at what would aruguably be a program low point.

The biggest question I have is how can this group which seemingly has quite a bit of talent can be fitting together so miserably? Just a bad fit? Are there other issues outside of x and o's chemistry? Are the 5th year guys just not able to adapt to our system? Do we have talented kids who just don't have good basketball IQ's?

There are certainly a lot of questions... I just don't know if there are any good answers, especially answers which will enable us to salvage this season and get the program headed in a good direction.