Quick Cuse-Clemson thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Quick Cuse-Clemson thoughts

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • The good news is Brissett played great. Best he's played year, Scored inside, outside, free throw line, and had several fantastic passes
  • That's the good news. The bad news is no else did much.
  • Sidibe was okay. Nice to see him to do something with his minutes
  • Obviously Frank continued to struggle, but Battle did nothing this game. If I'm an opposing team, I just focus on Battle, you shut him down, you shut us down.
  • They pressured our guys hard, not sure why we're not doing more of those Dolezaj-type lead passes for easy scores tomake them pay for this.
  • Generally love Dolezaj, but he continues his streak of at least one over the back foul per game where he has no chance at getting the rebound.
  • Hughes did nothing all game.
  • Throughout the game, we made it easy for their Defense, just holding the ball for 5-6 seconds. Very little ball movement.
  • I know JB talked about the huge rebounding edge that Clemson had, but 2 other big differences were 50-50 balls and Free throws. I don't remember us getting one 50-50 ball in the second half. We were outhustled. Plain and simple, Clemson wanted it more.

• Generally love Dolezaj, but he continues his streak of at least one over the back foul per game where he has no chance at getting the rebound.

The funny thing on that one was that I thought MD fouled the crap out of that kid. They showed the replay, and I'm not sure any part of his body even touched him. He definitely didn't foul him. You're going to get called for that more often than not though so it's still an idiotic play with no upside. Unless you're that dude on Clemson. He seemed to get away with a handful of more egregious fouls on rebounds where he bulldozed people...

• Throughout the game, we made it easy for their Defense, just holding the ball for 5-6 seconds. Very little ball movement.

We do this so often that I have to assume we practice it.

"Okay, Frank, just stand in place and dribble.

Go East to West just a little and then back up.

Okay, that should kill 3 to 4 seconds.

C'mon Frank, wave your hand erratically like you're clearing out your side of the floor!!! Wave in a more frustrated way!! Look angrier, man! Really get after it - not literally, don't drive, just wave more! Get frustrated!!

Now pick up your dribble for no reason to confuse the D, and wait for Tyus to come get the ball!!!

Awesome practice guys! Let's make sure we run it like this against Clemson!"

My thoughts on Clemson-Syracuse?

It was the first and only game I attended personally this year. A number of people have used the term "unwatchable" on the forum this year, and I now agree.

I'm still a huge SU fan, but we have become pretty much unwatchable. Simply atrocious basketball.

Last edited:
  • The good news is Brissett played great. Best he's played year, Scored inside, outside, free throw line, and had several fantastic passes.

Yeah, OB had some great looks, and overall played a solid game. It's why he remains such a tantalizing player for me - Battle is Battle, but OB still seems like he has a lot of upside still - he's just one of those guys where you start to wonder if it's ever going to click completely for him.

brissett played 40 minutes and had 0 fouls. that's not neccessarily a good thing.

The funny thing on that one was that I thought MD fouled the crap out of that kid. They showed the replay, and I'm not sure any part of his body even touched him. He definitely didn't foul him. You're going to get called for that more often than not though so it's still an idiotic play with no upside. Unless you're that dude on Clemson. He seemed to get away with a handful of more egregious fouls on rebounds where he bulldozed people...
Agree. Over-the-back fouls are called too often. It almost doesn't pay to go after a rebound at times. And yes, some players get away with it based on their overall style of play. Remember those Pitt players from Big East days?

My thoughts on Clemson-Syracuse?

It was the first and only game I attended personally this year. A number of people have used the term "unwatchable" on the thread this year, and I now agree.

I'm still a huge SU fan, but we have become pretty much unwatchable. Simply atrocious basketball.
Clemson opens the game 0-13 and SU can't take advantage of it. That is "atrocious basketball".

• The good news is Brissett played great. Best he's played year, Scored inside, outside, free throw line, and had several fantastic passes
  • That's the good news. The bad news is no else did much.
  • Sidibe was okay. Nice to see him to do something with his minutes
  • Obviously Frank continued to struggle, but Battle did nothing this game. If I'm an opposing team, I just focus on Battle, you shut him down, you shut us down.
  • They pressured our guys hard, not sure why we're not doing more of those Dolezaj-type lead passes for easy scores tomake them pay for this.
  • Hughes did nothing all game.
  • I know JB talked about the huge rebounding edge that Clemson had, but 2 other big differences were 50-50 balls and Free throws. I don't remember us getting one 50-50 ball in the second half. We were outhustled. Plain and simple, Clemson wanted it more.
Clemson needed it more.

Battle and Howard didn’t bother to show up. With Hughes it had more to do with foul trouble.

We got some early calls, but after that the officiating was as lopsided as the rebounding and hustle. I think the refs are getting to some of the players to the extent that they feel helpless and defeated. And JB isn’t arguing as much, which compounds the issue. This isn’t an excuse, it’s an observation.

Anyone know what happened between Battle and Boeheim during that one timeout? Battle looked like he was near tears or...something.

Clemson needed it more.

Battle and Howard didn’t bother to show up. With Hughes it had more to do with foul trouble.

We got some early calls, but after that the officiating was as lopsided as the rebounding and hustle. I think the refs are getting to some of the players to the extent that they feel helpless and defeated. And JB isn’t arguing as much, which compounds the issue. This isn’t an excuse, it’s an observation.

Anyone know what happened between Battle and Boeheim during that one timeout? Battle looked like he was near tears or...something.
He was driven to tears by his atrocious play.

brissett's interior passing in recent few games has been a nice addition to his game.

as you point out, the key for this team is figuring out how to beat pressure defense. its been our achilles heal/kryptonite since frank has been on the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom