Quick thoughts from SU-Bonnie | Syracusefan.com

Quick thoughts from SU-Bonnie

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • It looks like our game plan this year (if any) is to either have our big (who presents zero threat outside of 2 feet) set a screen 30 feet from the basket (which leads to the other team just double teaming the guy we want to get open) or have everyone just go one on one. Very little passing, creativity. Why not have someone, such as Brissett set a screen so the D won't just ignore the screener?
  • Dolezaj, and to some extent Frank obviously kept us in this game. Truthfully, the Bonnies tried to give it away, but we couldn't hit a shot
  • They weren't the reason we lost, but the refs were brutal for both teams, unless you like watching a Free throw contest. That last call against Brissett is a brutal example of the refs taking over the game, instead of letting the players play.
  • I agree with those that say that Washington's shot was fine and think the staff needs to give him some room to grow. We have very few guys who can shoot and will need him if we want to go anywhere. Frank and Battle will wear down playing 40 minutes a game, if they're not already.
  • Think Dolezaj showed he has more to give Offensively. Don't think he has the confidence yet.

• It looks like our game plan this year (if any) is to either have our big (who presents zero threat outside of 2 feet) set a screen 30 feet from the basket (which leads to the other team just double teaming the guy we want to get open) or have everyone just go one on one. Very little passing, creativity. Why not have someone, such as Brissett set a screen so the D won't just ignore the screener?
  • Dolezaj, and to some extent Frank obviously kept us in this game. Truthfully, the Bonnies tried to give it away, but we couldn't hit a shot
  • They weren't the reason we lost, but the refs were brutal for both teams, unless you like watching a Free throw contest. That last call against Brissett is a brutal example of the refs taking over the game, instead of letting the players play.
  • I agree with those that say that Washington's shot was fine and think the staff needs to give him some room to grow. We have very few guys who can shoot and will need him if we want to go anywhere. Frank and Battle will wear down playing 40 minutes a game, if they're not already.
  • Think Dolezaj showed he has more to give Offensively. Don't think he has the confidence yet.

The issue with HW's shot is it was too early in the shot clock. It would've been interesting to see what the reaction would've been had he made it. Great post, especially your first bullet point.

The issue with HW's shot is it was too early in the shot clock. It would've been interesting to see what the reaction would've been had he made it. Great post, especially your first bullet point.
Or if he had taken it 10 seconds later.

Or if he had taken it 10 seconds later.

I barely saw us take any open shots all game. Who knows if that shot is there 10 seconds later?

It felt like an early jack that they wanted us to take. It also felt like the shot a player takes when he's anxious to make something happen. HW has taken two questionable shots, one in each of the last two games.

He had really played a smart/ largely mistake-free brand of basketball prior to the Buffalo game. Although he hasn't been impactful at all.

I just hope he can keep his confidence up and give us a few solid minutes a game. I do think his defense has been consistently fine. He just doesn't have the height we look for up front.

Good post.

I think some of the "analysis" of the offense we see posted at times is kind of a superficial understanding of what is really going on. Too many here focus on the ball. The real "play" is, more often than not, being set up by the motion and screening away from the ball.

Those screens set way above the foul line by the bigs are rarely effective because, as you mentioned, the defense will just double on ball screens and make the guard give it up or push him so high it disrupts the action from the down screens away from the ball.

The other problem I see with that set is that the bigs don't get into the right postion for those screens and/or don't wait long enough to make or hold contact. If you are going to screen with PC, he has to at least take away the on ball defender with his screen (instead of rolling down). The guard then has to turn the corner and beat the big (PC's defender) off the dribble. That dribble penetration will force a help side rotation (or the guard can take it to the rim). Forcing help side rotations IS part of the play and should free some else up.

• Truthfully, the Bonnies tried to give it away, but we couldn't hit a shot
Agree on every point.

Every game it seems Dolezaj has at least one open look from the foul line area and passes it up.
He needs the confidence to be able to put up that shot.
After all, how bad could the result be given how poorly everyone else often shoots?

Despite how poorly the Orange played on offense this was a tough loss to take.
One play...just one hoop...one free throw...one play sometime during the game would have changed it.
Even Chukwu's obligatory missed dunk.

My take on the game is if Brissett doesn't miss the layup shot at the end of regulation we would no longer be talking about this game.

I think the Bonnies play terrific defense against us. And Adams was on fire.

Our defense played great. But our offense struggled because the Bonnies played terrific defense against us. They took away our offense and we had no lasting answers.

I think the officiating was awful for both teams so I do not feel compelled to blame the officiating.

It's sucks to lose this game. This game more keep us out of the tournament or put us firmly on the bubble which all sucks.

My take on the game is if Brissett doesn't miss the layup shot at the end of regulation we would no longer be talking about this game.

Our defense played great. But our offense struggled because the Bonnies played terrific defense against us. They took away our offense and we had no lasting answers.

I think the officiating was awful for both teams so I do not feel compelled to blame the officiating.

It's sucks to lose this game. This game more keep us out of the tournament or put us firmly on the bubble which all sucks.

And we gave Bonaventure their signature win. A true road win.

And I have to listen to my wife crow about it for months...

Our defense played great. But our offense struggled because the Bonnies played terrific defense against us.

Buffalo also played great Defense against us. It's a pattern. It's not them. It's us.

Buffalo also played great Defense against us. It's a pattern. It's not them. It's us.

I don't disagree. Having a plan and executing well are two different things. I thought the Bonnies were very aggressive on making sure Battle did not get going. The Bonnies execute well. That said, of course the answer is we need more wrinkles and answers in our offense to response to teams that double or triple team Battle. I was kind of irritating that when our forwards rolled to the basket on pick-n-rolls we never made the pass. I thought pick-n-rolls were open to us a lot in the game. Not that pick and rolls are my favorite offense. I would rather see some other kind of motion plays with players racing around to the opposite wings for catch and shots. Or drive penetration with kickouts I think is better. Whatever the answer is going to be the offense needs to do more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom