Quick thoughts from SU-FSU | Syracusefan.com

Quick thoughts from SU-FSU

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
I wasn't going to post, because I was too frustrated, but will post at my Dad's request (early Father's day present)
  • This team really plays hard. Just hard to play 2 on 5 on Offense, which brings me to...
  • I've said it before, but will say it again. This team isn't good enough to not give Washington 10-15 minutes/ game. Thought he played as well as can be asked based on the little confidence he knows JB has in him. I don't think he's anywhere close to a superstar, but he is one of the only guys on the team who can potentially give you anything on Offense outside of 2 feet from the basket. He can handle the ball fairly well, pass fairly well, and can potentially hit an open outside shot like he did on Saturay. i think he'd shoot better if he knew he had a little leeway and confidence from the staff.
  • Chukwu and Dolezaj lose so many balls, I heard Baye Keita was laughing at their hands. Heard Freshman Rony Seikaly also had a chuckle at Chukwu's missed dunks.
  • Battle had an excellent game. I'm surprised how much he's struggled recently, but I think we forget how hard it is to score against good D-1 Defenses when 3 of the 4 guys on the court with you present basically zero offensive threat outside of a possible dunk/layup
  • Like Moyer's contribution. he at least gives us more muscle and stronger hands than Dolezaj
  • Unless Brissett can bring back his inner Georgetown game, I don't see how we win enough to make the Tournament. This team is the polar opposite of last year, as this year, we defend well, but are just very limited offensively. I'm not sure which is a greater struggle to watch

I wasn't going to post, because I was too frustrated, but will post at my Dad's request (early Father's day present)
  • This team really plays hard. Just hard to play 2 on 5 on Offense, which brings me to...
  • I've said it before, but will say it again. This team isn't good enough to not give Washington 10-15 minutes/ game. Thought he played as well as can be asked based on the little confidence he knows JB has in him. I don't think he's anywhere close to a superstar, but he is one of the only guys on the team who can potentially give you anything on Offense outside of 2 feet from the basket. He can handle the ball fairly well, pass fairly well, and can potentially hit an open outside shot like he did on Saturay. i think he'd shoot better if he knew he had a little leeway and confidence from the staff.
  • Chukwu and Dolezaj lose so many balls, I heard Baye Keita was laughing at their hands. Heard Freshman Rony Seikaly also had a chuckle at Chukwu's missed dunks.
  • Battle had an excellent game. I'm surprised how much he's struggled recently, but I think we forget how hard it is to score against good D-1 Defenses when 3 of the 4 guys on the court with you present basically zero offensive threat outside of a possible dunk/layup
  • Like Moyer's contribution. he at least gives us more muscle and stronger hands than Dolezaj
  • Unless Brissett can bring back his inner Georgetown game, I don't see how we win enough to make the Tournament. This team is the polar opposite of last year, as this year, we defend well, but are just very limited offensively. I'm not sure which is a greater struggle to watch
Don't forget Battle's fall. Probably has been hurting ever since.

F2F7AD17-8152-42DE-8D6E-5FFE3B80A457.png
You really want to make a post which pokes fun at Pascal? The kid is busting his tail and contributing a lot on both ends of the floor.

Yes, I do. I acknowledge he plays very hard and think he's improved a great deal from last year, but I can either laugh or cry this year. I choose to laugh.

Fair enough. He’s not the one I would choose to laugh at. I think he has exceeded most fans expectations for this season. And the dunk he missed Saturday he was fouled on...but ok.

Fair enough. He’s not the one I would choose to laugh at. I think he has exceeded most fans expectations for this season. And the dunk he missed Saturday he was fouled on...but ok.
My comment on the hands and missed dunks wasn't just for last game. It was over the course of the year. I agree he has exceeded expectations.

My comment on the hands and missed dunks wasn't just for last game. It was over the course of the year. I agree he has exceeded expectations.

thread title was ‘quick thoughts from SU - FSU’...thanks for clarifying

SU lost this game, NOT on offense (53 second-half points), but defense. FSU scored at least one point on 17 of their final 21 possessions. Just could not get a stop. And if we did get a stop, the rebounds were tough to come by.

FSU scored 36 points in the game's final 11 minutes of regulation. That's good for 131 points per 40 minutes. And that's before SU allowed 27 in OT, which was aided a bit by fouling, pressing, trapping, playing walkons, etc.

Same/similar storyline we saw at Wake Forest.

They can’t afford to play Washington. We don’t have the luxury of trying to develop him ..we might lose these games we need to win otherwise ...oh Waite

SU lost this game, NOT on offense (53 second-half points), but defense. FSU scored at least one point on 17 of their final 21 possessions. Just could not get a stop. And if we did get a stop, the rebounds were tough to come by.

FSU scored 36 points in the game's final 11 minutes of regulation. That's good for 131 points per 40 minutes. And that's before SU allowed 27 in OT, which was aided a bit by fouling, pressing, trapping, playing walkons, etc.

Same/similar storyline we saw at Wake Forest.

It was both but I tend to mostly agree. I think the energy was really lost on the defensive end later in the game especially. No effort or energy to stop dribble penetration, Chukwu late getting up to challenge shots in the high post, etc. They made some sweet floaters too (are our guards paying attention?!).

Certainly the offense did us in as well though. Mostly hero ball. Lots of tough, contested shots. Very lucky some of those were made or else you could’ve had FSU fast breaks the other way. Bad turnovers, charges, plowing into help defenders. Just bad basketball and business as usual.

Was at the game. What I saw was a gritty Syracuse team on the road playing a Top 25 team. Yes, they made a bunch of mistakes. However, I think they did a good job of playing through them and staying in the game. I though Washington made the best of his minutes played. Most of the starters seemed to play well. I think the only two mistakes that were really bad and avoidable were the two half-court violations. Should never have happened. The other big problem was lack of an experienced bench. Once we had 3 starters foul out, they just double and triple teamed Battle and dared the others to score. Basically the game was lost because of offensive rebounds and turnovers.

It was both but I tend to mostly agree. I think the energy was really lost on the defensive end later in the game especially. No effort or energy to stop dribble penetration, Chukwu late getting up to challenge shots in the high post, etc. They made some sweet floaters too (are our guards paying attention?!).

Certainly the offense did us in as well though. Mostly hero ball. Lots of tough, contested shots. Very lucky some of those were made or else you could’ve had FSU fast breaks the other way. Bad turnovers, charges, plowing into help defenders. Just bad basketball and business as usual.
See, I just respectfully disagree. SU's (beleaguered) offense put us in the position to win the game. SU was up 7 with 11 minutes left (45-38). And from there, SU scored 29 more points in regulation. That should not only be enough, that is production we have not seen this year. Hopefully, it is a harbinger of things to come.

Sure, the first-half offense stunk, but this loss was on the defense (which includes defensive rebounding, or lack thereof).

See, I just respectfully disagree. SU's (beleaguered) offense put us in the position to win the game. SU was up 7 with 11 minutes left (45-38). And from there, SU scored 29 more points in regulation. That should not only be enough, that is production we have not seen this year. Hopefully, it is a harbinger of things to come.

Sure, the first-half offense stunk, but this loss was on the defense (which includes defensive rebounding, or lack thereof).

Defense could not get many, if any, consistent stops the last 10 minutes and in OT.

I agree that the defense against FSU broke down in the last 10 minutes or so of regulation. I remember 3 3-pointers in a row given up which got FSU back into the game from 7 down. Bad turnovers hurt. Up 7 and Howard simply gives the ball to FSU. We all know that we are, for the most part, playing 3 on 5 on offense. Dolezaj and Moyer can't hit open 10 footers. Chukwu? Yes, he is putting in more minutes than anyone expected and gives it his all but he loses almost every pass thrown to him and when a rebound hits him in the hands it is 50-50 whether or not he will hold it. I think he has met my expectations but not exceeded them. Brissett is shooting 30% in ACC play. Has to be one of the lowest percentage shooting starters in the league.

This is hardly a great, or even good, team by SU standards. The next 4 games will go a long way to determining how successful this season will be. There is no reason that we can't be Pitt twice, BC at home, and GT on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom