Quick thoughts on the recruiting class and where we're heading | Syracusefan.com

Quick thoughts on the recruiting class and where we're heading

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
Since the other recruiting thread was focused on the rating, I made a separate thread, where we can discuss individual recruits, such as top grabs, sleepers, etc.

• It doesn't happen often where I see an SU football recruit and say, that's an NFL guy. If he stays healthy and focused, Trill is an NFL guy. He checks off everything-Size, athletic ability, ball skills, toughness, winner
  • Getting 2 top guys from NYC/LI is huge and will be interesting to see if we can match that this year. We were starting to re-establish ourselves as a real force in that area at the end of Marrone's tenure (Gus, finalist for Ogundeko etc.), but fell out of that with his departure. If we can get back to being a regular destination for top NYC/LI guys, would be huge. Would also like to see a little more success recruiting NJ. Probably gotta win some more games first for that.
  • Love our WR's- Queeley and Hendrix look like Ish clones (albeit on the HS level at this point) and Lutz and Lewis show tremendous YAC. The question for Lewis is his hands, which you can't see on Video because he's playing QB. Might be comparable prospect to Devin Butler (the WR).
  • I know he said he's 1000% committed, but with all our open spots, think the staff is gambling by not letting Jordan sign if he's close to qualifying. His film is electric against good competition. Hope the other Big boys don't start snooping. If he's not close to qualifying, then we have different issues. Not as concerned about losing Dixon.
  • Think Vetorello is a solid get. Hope Froumy is agile enough for OT.
  • A little disappointed we didn't get anything on the DL. Need to add at least a couple of solid ones each year. Don't want to see Slayton and the gang wearing down again the next few years. Thinking that will be a huge focus in the next class.
  • Like Wallace, but Williams is my sleeper (along with Lutz) of the class. Watch his video. Either he's very fast or everyone else is very slow. Not as high on Allison as everyone, but just helping with Amie was valuable.
  • Amie's video looks great. I love dual-threats, as it can be a great equalizer. The question will be his accuracy and decision making. Very important get, as I don't have great confidence in Rex and need to have someone else in case Devito gets hurt or doesn't pan out (though really like him).
  • Already spoke about Trill, but like our other DB's as well. Cisco will contribute more next year, but Jonas has excellent potential and could end up as one of the jewels of the class when all is said and done.
  • Lastly, will be interesting to see how Dino fills out these 2 coaching spots. Hope at least one of them is a recruiting shark, preferably with good NY/NJ connections. Feel with Monroe and Ferri, we're doing pretty well in Florida and DC area and optimistic we can maintain that as long as they're around.

Last edited:
Its Taj Harris, not Lewis. Also, theres still another 7-8 guys that will sign in February. Plenty of time to add a couple DL for the 2018.
You can always add a couple. The question is can we add a couple that are quality. Hopefully, there's still some quality out there for us

Can Froumy play DT if he doesn't work out at OT?

Since the other recruiting thread was focused on the rating, I made a separate thread, where we can discuss individual recruits, such as top grabs, sleepers, etc.

• It doesn't happen often where I see an SU football recruit and say, that's an NFL guy. If he stays healthy and focused, Trill is an NFL guy. He checks off everything-Size, athletic ability, ball skills, toughness, winner
  • Getting 2 top guys from NYC/LI is huge and will be interesting to see if we can match that this year. We were starting to re-establish ourselves as a real force in that area at the end of Marrone's tenure (Gus, finalist for Ogundeko etc.), but fell out of that with his departure. If we can get back to being a regular destination for top NYC/LI guys, would be huge. Would also like to see a little more success recruiting NJ. Probably gotta win some more games first for that.
  • Love our WR's- Queeley and Hendrix look like Ish clones (albeit on the HS level at this point) and Lutz and Lewis show tremendous YAC. The question for Lewis is his hands, which you can't see on Video because he's playing QB. Might be comparable prospect to Devin Butler (the WR).
  • I know he said he's 1000% committed, but with all our open spots, think the staff is gambling by not letting Jordan sign if he's close to qualifying. His film is electric against good competition. Hope the other Big boys don't start snooping. If he's not close to qualifying, then we have different issues. Not as concerned about losing Dixon.
  • A little disappointed we didn't get anything on the DL. Need to add at least a couple of solid ones each year. Don't want to see Slayton and the gang wearing down again the next few years. Thinking that will be a huge focus in the next class.
  • Like Wallace, but Williams is my sleeper (along with Lutz) of the class. Watch his video. Either he's very fast or everyone else is very slow. Not as high on Allison as everyone, but just helping with Amie was valuable.
  • Amie's video looks great. I love dual-threats, as it can be a great equalizer. The question will be his accuracy and decision making. Very important get, as I don't have great confidence in Rex and need to have someone else in case Devito gets hurt or doesn't pan out (though really like him).
  • Already spoke about Trill, but like our other DB's as well. Cisco will contribute more next year, but Jonas has excellent potential and could end up as one of the jewels of the class when all is said and done.
  • Lastly, will be interesting to see how Dino fills out these 2 coaching spots. Hope at least one of them is a recruiting shark, preferably with good NY/NJ connections. Feel with Monroe and Ferri, we're doing pretty well in Florida and DC area and optimistic we can maintain that as long as they're around.
Taj Harris is a very good WR. Caught 50 balls for over 1000 as a sophomore. He might be up there with Trill as far as athleticism. Taj is a great basketball player too. I believe he has offers for that.

Taj Harris is a very good WR. Caught 50 balls for over 1000 as a sophomore. He might be up there with Trill as far as athleticism.
Didn't know about his WR experience. Absolutely love his athleticism

when you listen to the coaches talk about Harris, you can also see that he was good on D. is film showed several INTs, I think is is a real good athlete that could play several spots.

when you listen to the coaches talk about Harris, you can also see that he was good on D. is film showed several INTs, I think is is a real good athlete that could play several spots.
Good spot. Happy we’ve been prioritizing athletes like Iffy, Trill and Harris. Gives us a lot of flexibility in recruiting.

To me, DL [both positions] is the one area where this class isn't impressive. And surprisingly, we don't have ANY prospects lined up at either DT or DE.

The good news is that we have six weeks for our coaches to hit the recruiting trail hard, without having to worry about the prospects that just signed being poached. I'm confident that Babers and staff will get the job done, and bring in some quality players to fill those needs.

To me, DL [both positions] is the one area where this class isn't impressive. And surprisingly, we don't have ANY prospects lined up at either DT or DE.

The good news is that we have six weeks for our coaches to hit the recruiting trail hard, without having to worry about the prospects that just signed being poached. I'm confident that Babers and staff will get the job done, and bring in some quality players to fill those needs.

I'm with you. DT seems to be an obvious area of need. I also know it's very hard for programs like SU to recruit good DTs. Slayton and Williams were DEs coming out of HS who grew into the position. I suspect that, other than a JUCO, this is the direction the staff will need to take again.

A guy I would target for one of our Assistant spots is Jim Panagos. Very good NJ recruiter and also has some contacts in NJ and Maryland. Formerly of RU and UCF, he is currently the DL coach at Temple. I know we currently have 2 DL coaches, but maybe one can move to help with the DB's? I would also look at Cincy's staff, as we never replaced Kaufman with an Ohio recruiter and Cincy had an excellent class (Top class in group of 5).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom