Quick Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Quick Thoughts

OrangeBlood

Starter
The 11 start is something that I never really want to see again. Too early, team and crowd looked asleep.

Temple is clearly a basketball school. Them playing in the linc is kinda stupid. It'd be like UB playing in the ralph. I would love to play them in OOC while in ACC, but I am so glad they are not in conference. I want electric road games... Temple is not exactly that.

Anyone remember when Rob Konrad and a bunch of alums wrote a letter stating Steve Addazio be the coach here? I am glad that didn't happen. He is an excellent assistant, not a head coach. His constant "in your face" emotion will wear on that team. Name a big time coach that jumps around like that... its hard to get one.

To the Game:
We were asleep at the beginning and this gave the owls confidence. If we don't fumble twice, I think we score at least once, probably twice and that game is never really close. When they were forced to throw they looked horrible. Glad the team overcame the bad start and put a whooping on them from 2nd Quarter on. Thats what good teams do.

Nassib and passing offense looked a bit off today. Resembled Cincinnati games at times.

Sales, this year, had a bit of Van Chew in him. He had a great start but really faded. This could be because of injury, or the rise of Alec Lemon.

The play where Alec held onto the ball and got whacked and should have gotten the first down was IMO an embodiment of his career. Making solid plays that help us win. He is a winner. Great person, great player.

I love this OL, they are dominant. Best OL in so long. They pretty much took over the game. I am so impressed by Macky's improvement. Also, Trudo and Hickey will be the Chibane/Pugh of next year. Great players.

We got run over in the 1st half. Continues to be a frustrating trend for this defense. We cant stop physical running teams consistently.

No idea who they should replace Diabete with, but I would start by looking at Lynch, He can fly around the field and make plays.

Love our corners, going to be excellent next year. Really good athletic players. IMO Lyn and Reddish will play on Sundays.

I don't want to be negative but Wilkes is really struggling. Not sure if he will have a huge role next year.

I really really like this team. They KILLED themselves in the beginning of the year. Tough loss after tough loss. It speaks a lot of their character that they fought back and won 5 out of their last 6. This is a very solid SU team. Offense is the best we've seen since probably 1998.

I said this last week and I still think that right now, they beat anyone in the BE on a neutral field. They are the best team. Its a shame we started off slow, because with a very down BE, we could have went to the orange bowl.

I am not sure what conference realignment will bring but I am excited for some ACC football. I can't wait to play BC and VT. Some of my favorite rivalries.

I have been up and down with Marrone but we need to extend the man NOW. He is the best we can get at SU, he has done a respectable job and he was the right hire.

As for bowling, I would probabaly go to the pinstripe if we play a good opponent. I would love to see WVU or esp Texas. Could you imagine that crowd? The entire Yankee stadium filled with two shades of orange. Still however, want what the players want: Russell. After that I want the Belk. I would much rather play a ACC team. So for selfish reasons: Pinstripe, For the program: Russel/Belk

Lastly a question, as the game ended, I thought about how both 2010 and 2012 teams both went 7-5. Who's better?

I take the 2012 team because of a better Ryan Nassib and better depth. 2012 would move the ball like KState, BC and UW did. The 2012 would be get run over by DC but ultimately it is not enough as Lyn and Reddish shut down younger Lemon, Chew and Sales. I could imagine a score around 31-24.

Thoughts..?

I just keep wondering to myself, is this Doug's 1986? Start slow, finish strong. Then, 1987.

I'm not saying we're going undefeated next year. We had Donnie Mac coming back, and we were loaded. Next year, it's a new QB, but the offensive weapons are back in the backfield and we reload at WR.

Adding to this year's win total with an ACC schedule next year, with State Penn and Northwestern too. That would be quite an accomplishment.

I think Doug Marrone has done better than simply "respectable"

He has done an outstanding job of laying the foundation for SU Football success.

I'll take 2012 over 2010. This is the most explosive offense since the McNabb era. Struggled in a few games, but still put up 31+ in 7 of 12 games, and only had fewer than 20 three times.

He has done an outstanding job of laying the foundation for success.

We are on our way.

Fixed

He has done an outstanding job of laying the foundation for success.

We are not there yet - not by a longshot - but we are on our way.

That is fair. I would find a more "praiseful" word if not for the 2011 collapses and rocky start to this year. I understand where he had to start and all that.. but I am not willing to say that a total record of 24-25 is great. Like you said, he has set the foundation. If this thing takes off in the future, I will flower him with praise, I promise.

The play where Alec held onto the ball and got whacked and should have gotten the first down was IMO an embodiment of his career. Making solid plays that help us win. He is a winner. Great person, great player.

Lastly a question, as the game ended, I thought about how both 2010 and 2012 teams both went 7-5. Who's better?
I take the 2012 team because of a better Ryan Nassib and better depth. 2012 would move the ball like KState, BC and UW did. The 2012 would be get run over by DC but ultimately it is not enough as Lyn and Reddish shut down younger Lemon, Chew and Sales. I could imagine a score around 31-24.

Was pleasantly surprised when HCDM went for it on 4th after Alec's catch. I wouldn't have blamed him for kicking the FG and tying it up. But it was only a couple inches and you'd hate to have Alec's catch for naught. It paid off with a TD, assist to Lemon.

The 2010 team was not even in the same league, played a much easier schedule and won a few games due to some luck. This team lost a couple games due to some luck. The 2010 also played 2 FCS teams so in my mind (and the BCS') they were actually 6-5.

I absolutely would have blamed Doug if he hadn't gone for it on 4th and about three inches inside the five. I don't agree with the play call (why not Tank or sneak?) but it paid off.

That is fair. I would find a more "praiseful" word if not for the 2011 collapses and rocky start to this year. I understand where he had to start and all that.. but I am not willing to say that a total record of 24-25 is great. Like you said, he has set the foundation. If this thing takes off in the future, I will flower him with praise, I promise.

Cool.

By the way, I just checked our 2008 stats.

In going 3-8 that season, our total offense for the year was 3100 yards and some change.

Wow.

Cool.

By the way, I just checked our 2008 stats.

In going 3-8 that season, our total offense for the year was 3100 yards and some change.

Wow.
Wow indeed. We must have, what, 5500 this season? 3600 from Nassib alone, plus around 1800-2000 on the ground?

but I am not willing to say that a total record of 24-25 is great.

Coming off of 10 wins in a 4 year period, how many wins & bowl games did you reasonably expect in the next 4 years? IMO, 24-25 w 2 bowl appearances is more than respectable. That, to me, is a really good job. He has stabilized a sinking ship.

The Grob years are fading and we are going to be a competitive football team going forward. The question to me now, as we move into the ACC, is how far can he take us? Will we be a perennial top 25 type team? A 7-5ish team?

Thats still TBD but I'm bullish that we are going to continue to move this thing forward. The Nassib era will be looked upon as the stabilizing era after the dark years of the Grob fiasco.

Wow indeed. We must have, what, 5500 this season? 3600 from Nassib alone, plus around 1800-2000 on the ground?
I posted the numbers last night. I titled it something like what does the up tempo offense really mean?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Was pleasantly surprised when HCDM went for it on 4th after Alec's catch. I wouldn't have blamed him for kicking the FG and tying it up. But it was only a couple inches and you'd hate to have Alec's catch for naught. It paid off with a TD, assist to Lemon.

The 2010 team was not even in the same league, played a much easier schedule and won a few games due to some luck. This team lost a couple games due to some luck. The 2010 also played 2 FCS teams so in my mind (and the BCS') they were actually 6-5.

Horrible spot, on the Lemon catch. But in fairness to the refs, the hit happened so quick, and the ref is running to the spot, just impossible to get 100% right. I would have been ticked if we failed on 4th down.

I am not a Marrone hater at all! I completely understand the challenges he faces and he has done a good job getting to where we all want to be. However, I wouldn't say that he deserves no criticism. Like I said I believe in him and will give him more praise in the future when he gets it fully turn around.

I am not a Marrone hater at all! I completely understand the challenges he faces and he has done a good job getting to where we all want to be. However, I wouldn't say that he deserves no criticism. Like I said I believe in him and will give him more praise in the future when he gets it fully turn around.

He's faced more than a fair share of criticism.

I'll take 2012 over 2010. This is the most explosive offense since the McNabb era. Struggled in a few games, but still put up 31+ in 7 of 12 games, and only had fewer than 20 three times.

This is the amazing thing. Even when we've struggled, made a lot of mistakes, didn't score td's in the redzone, didn't go for it on 4th and whatever, did go for it on 4th and whatever and failed, dropped td's, penalties, and fumbles; we still put up the offensive numbers we have.

I've said it numerous times after many games on here - our "feeling" and perception of what is happening in a game and what is actually happening are sometimes not one in the same. I am just as guilty of that myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom