Quinn | Syracusefan.com

Quinn

CuseNHouse

Scout Team
Is it just me or are others beginning to see that Quinn is dragging the second line down?

He has a single dodge - a sort of head bull dodge and a wicked shot ..but both are easily scouted. More concerning is that in the last two games he has made very bad decisions with the ball leading to costly turnovers.

I’d like to see Magnan, Fiorini or one of the Kim’s get a shot if this continues.

Is it just me or are others beginning to see that Quinn is dragging the second line down?

He has a single dodge - a sort of head bull dodge and a wicked shot ..but both are easily scouted. More concerning is that in the last two games he has made very bad decisions with the ball leading to costly turnovers.

I’d like to see Magnan, Fiorini or one of the Kim’s get a shot if this continues.
He’s had back-to-back rough games but this is also the first regular significant playing time he’s seen in Orange. I’d like to keep cohesion on the 2nd midfield & would give him a game or 2 more to work out the kinks before rotating in other options, especially with Hop presenting a jump in talent level. He needs to stop holding the ball too long & recognize when his dodge just isn’t there.

& no, I’m not just saying this because his father is a fellow Whitesboro HS alum ;)

Last edited:
I think he is over matched athletically which causes him to press- it is not easy to adjust to limitations that violate a self-image formed when the disparity in athleticism could be concealed by stick skill and an accurate shot.

The second line does look dysfunctional to me right now, especially compared to the first. I think one issue is that all three guys are very similar, they won't blow by you with blazing speed, but rather try to shoot through defenses by using their brute strength. Buttermore is the best at this but he is getting most of the attention with the long stick. The offense has looked better when Lipka inverts, he scored a nice goal last week against Army doing so and set up Buttermore this week doing the same. I wish there was a "speed" guy for this unit that could do a better job of drawing a slide to free up Buttermore and Lipka, as I don't think these three really compliment each other. Only problem is I don't know who else on the roster (besides first liners) ho would fit this description.

I think right now, what the coaching staff tells themselves, is, they'd rather attack a defense's fifth or even sixth best defender with one of their first or second best dodgers - Curry or Dordevic against a shorty just doesn't seem fair. And right now defenses are playing that game, which seems odd to me, to be honest. I think they want to keep the same strategy with the second line, but Lipka and Quinn aren't as dynamic as the fist line guys. I think the "problem" with Quinn is his usage rate is so high, he's taken 20 shots, the same as Cook, and has the second most turnovers on the team (at 5). I think the unit would be more effective if the attack did more of the initiating, and they could focus more on step down shooting, which they are all very good at. I worry that the attack, primarily Cook and Rhefuss (who has only nine shots the entire season!) are getting forgotten about a bit. Obviously the offense should exploit mismatches, but they still need to keep everyone engaged. When the second line is in, I think it would make for a good opportunity for the attack to facilitate more often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom