Quint's Top 20: Clarity in the Top Four | Syracusefan.com

Quint's Top 20: Clarity in the Top Four

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

11. Syracuse
Otto once again used a dominant fourth quarter to secure an 18-14 victory over Rutgers. SU scooped up 50 groundballs. Jamie Trimboli and Nate Solomon scored five points apiece.

#HHH plays Duke on Saturday at 2 p.m. on ESPNU. Duke alum Myles Jones will join Anish Shroff and Paul Carcaterra for the call. A venue switch to Cicero-North Syracuse High School may alter the home Dome advantage — that decision will be announced Monday.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Team was flat as a pancake vs Colgate and those refs in Virginia game probably would have brought more spare flags to throw.

Bad water under the bridge

Team moving in the right direction

Most encouraging that entire attack unit joined the mids last game.

Capable of being a true contender but will need all units to play well to beat a very good Duke team.

I haven't listened but ...

Odds are this is most likely true. The extra threat from the mids could have easily overwhelmed Colgate, especially since we were asking a lot of various players for the first time. Lipka on first line (who had a bad shooting day) and Quinn and Mangan getting legit minutes on the second line for the first times in their careers. I believe we were also missing buttermore that game? Dordevic is a super confident dodger and he could have easily gotten us out of our first game funk. He could have easily been the difference in a one goal contest against UVA as well. Not an overly controversial statement by Quint, but also kinda unnecessary. Of course Anish Shroff chimes in with a "not true" in the comments as if he knows for sure that wouldn't be the case. I guess his whole Syracuse is failing shtick isn't as convinceing as it was when we were 0-1 on the season. Admit you were wrong Anish!

Perhaps, perhaps not. Team was flat as a pancake vs Colgate and those refs in Virginia game probably would have brought more spare flags to throw.

Bad water under the bridge

Team moving in the right direction

Most encouraging that entire attack unit joined the mids last game.

Capable of being a true contender but will need all units to play well to beat a very good Duke team.

If Dordevic were healthy I think SU would probably be 5-1 right now. Not sure which game we would have won, my guess would be UVA but you could make a case for either game. Between the two of them that UVA game still stings. Between the horrific officiating and questionable decisions down the stretch we gave that one away.

Odds are this is most likely true. The extra threat from the mids could have easily overwhelmed Colgate, especially since we were asking a lot of various players for the first time. Lipka on first line (who had a bad shooting day) and Quinn and Mangan getting legit minutes on the second line for the first times in their careers. I believe we were also missing buttermore that game? Dordevic is a super confident dodger and he could have easily gotten us out of our first game funk. He could have easily been the difference in a one goal contest against UVA as well. Not an overly controversial statement by Quint, but also kinda unnecessary. Of course Anish Shroff chimes in with a "not true" in the comments as if he knows for sure that wouldn't be the case. I guess his whole Syracuse is failing shtick isn't as convinceing as it was when we were 0-1 on the season. Admit you were wrong Anish!
Disappointed that Anish piled on at lowest point after Colgate loss and those decommitts. I recall him mockingly labeling optimistic Cuse fans as 'sunnysiders'. It's been an enjoyable team to watch, hope season surprises and the distractors attempt to jump on wagon.

Disappointed that Anish piled on at lowest point after Colgate loss and those decommitts. I recall him mockingly labeling optimistic Cuse fans as 'sunnysiders'. It's been an enjoyable team to watch, hope season surprises and the distractors attempt to jump on wagon.

The only point I could make in his defense is that he's maybe feeling the need to do the classic commentator-is-totally-not-biased-against-his-Alma-Mater routine. Sometime I feel like that's what Quint is doing when he shows Syracuse some very public love. It's quite possible behind closed doors Quint is seething at our success and Anish has a private altar of worship for our first middie line.

The only point I could make in his defense is that he's maybe feeling the need to do the classic commentator-is-totally-not-biased-against-his-Alma-Mater routine. Sometime I feel like that's what Quint is doing when he shows Syracuse some very public love. It's quite possible behind closed doors Quint is seething at our success and Anish has a private altar of worship for our first middie line.

Just my opinion but I have never felt Quint has had any kind of bias against Syracuse. I'm sure there is a portion of the fan-base that will disagree but I just don't see it. As far as his critique of his alma mater I don't think he's been anymore critical than the average Hopkins fan you'd come across on any of these lax threads. Honestly I get a good chuckle reading how mad Hopkins alums get with him, but the guy does his homework and more times than not knows his stuff.

I'll be honest, I just don't understand the animus against Quint. Personally, I think he's the sport's number one public ambassador. His enthusiasm for lacrosse is infectious and I can't recall a commentary on any game where I didn't learn something about the "inside game" of lacrosse. Sure, he's opinionated but I like that in an announcer. I'm tired of talking heads who offer nothing original or insightful. He's quirky--those ties!--but brings a love and appreciation for the game I don't hear anywhere else. When teamed with Carc and Anish, I think Quint gives ESPN the lax dream team.

I think Quint gets a dig in just about every time he covers Syracuse. Maybe I am sensitive to it but to me there is a tone to his content. However, if it were me I would go out of my way to needle Hopkins so I can't complain. I HATE everything about them and especially their stupid band :)

Love the video of Dino Babers trying to get him to put on the Syracuse hat after the Camping Bowl victory. Dino definitely gets it...and if it is on Dino's radar there is something to it!

11. Syracuse
Otto once again used a dominant fourth quarter to secure an 18-14 victory over Rutgers. SU scooped up 50 groundballs. Jamie Trimboli and Nate Solomon scored five points apiece.

#HHH plays Duke on Saturday at 2 p.m. on ESPNU. Duke alum Myles Jones will join Anish Shroff and Paul Carcaterra for the call. A venue switch to Cicero-North Syracuse High School may alter the home Dome advantage — that decision will be announced Monday.
Otto? I don't think that is a nickname for Syracuse Quint.

I think Quint has evolved into a solid, mostly neutral, analyst.

He started out a bit goofy (not quite full Pepper Brooks but definitely in that vein). His playing career centered around LI and Baltimore so it's natural he used to have more info on those hotbeds over CNY.

Quint's bias used to bother me but I always took solace in how much it sucked for him that in his first 10 years of being ESPN's lax guy he had to watch/call 5 SU championship runs.

He had to wait 10 years until his alma mater won one.

I take pity on him for that.

Quint and Carcertera are high energy yappers and sometimes go off on personal tangents that are superfluous to the game . Beyond some corniness, there is substance and both represent and promote the game well.

Quint treats Cuse fair, had expressed reservations about our season prospects but has also highlighted our strengths and potential upside. Think he ranks us and others objectively and is willing to adjust without any bias

I think Quint has gotten better over the years. I used to hold him in the Joe Buck level of hated announcers, but he seems to have put the biased away a bit and loved seeeing him awkwardly wearing the Cuse hat after the bowl win lol.

Quint has been doing NCAA wrestling tournament interviewing winners as they leave mat. Finals tonight .Did not realize that he was a good hs wrestler who won counties twice nor did I realize he covered so many sports for ESPN. Gotta hand it to him, guy has alot of energy , spread out and does a good job.