Quint's Top 20: Setting the Preseason Tone | Syracusefan.com

Quint's Top 20: Setting the Preseason Tone

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

3. Syracuse
#HHH is poised for a return to glory bolstered by a healthy Tucker Dordevic and a slew of starters who should soften the inconvenience of Dome renovations, once a treacherous place. Giddy alums Carc and Anish proclaim the Orange are relevant again. Nick Mellen, Brett Kennedy, Peter Dearth and Drake Porter are the doormen, nobody gets in without permission. There's abundant talent everywhere.

So, at least (almost) 60% of our schedule (pre-season) will be against Top 20 teams. And that percentage increases if we make the ACCT.

Time to get to work, boys.

So, at least (almost) 60% of our schedule (pre-season) will be against Top 20 teams. And that percentage increases if we make the ACCT.

Time to get to work, boys.

The schedule is again ridiculous. Only 12 games to which I think is a massive mistake. Should be playing at least one more cupcake at minimum. Ridiculous schedules are all the rage this year though. Penn Maryland and Cornell also have really difficult schedules like us.

Believe that Rutgers will also be a Top 20 team if goalie and fogo play is decent.

The schedule is again ridiculous. Only 12 games to which I think is a massive mistake. Should be playing at least one more cupcake at minimum. Ridiculous schedules are all the rage this year though. Penn Maryland and Cornell also have really difficult schedules like us.

Definitely agree about needing to have one more cupcake, but in the end the main reason for our difficult schedule in 2020 is how bonkers the ACC will be. Besides that the out of conference games may seem easier than past years. It could easily be a down year for Rutgers with their already bad defense losing a bunch of guys. A down year for Hop and Cornell for similar reasons. Albany has some solid recruits/young guys but I don't see them completely bouncing back from 5-9 to old form in one year. Army loses a ton on defense and I don't see them finding answers at the faceoff x. There is actually a good chance that all 5 of those teams miss the NCAA tourney (although I'm sure one will find a way/play beyond their expectations, most likely Hop or Cornell). The schedule is still tough, but not quite the nightmare it was with the 2018 version of those 5 teams plus the ACC. No sugar coating the ACC this year though. We could end the year looking like the number one team in the country and there would still be no shame in losing a couple ACC games.

It very might well be a down year for the teams mentioned by DoctahLexus, but I would definitely still be wary of them. Rutgers and Hopkins were a lot closer than the score line indicates last year, and those games will both be on the road. Both teams also have explosive offenses that shouldn't be discounted. Army seems to install an All American in goal and at defense no matter what, and like Hopkins will probably have the best offensive player on the field in Nichtern. I'm not as fearful of Albany this year as year's past but I think the vast majority of the college lacrosse world is sleeping on Tehoka who I think will be really good this year. Cornell, again feels like a forgotten team who returns a lot of really good players (and their big Achilles Heel could be solved by bringing in one of the top FOGO recruits).

My "fear" with this schedule is that I agree with a lot of what Doctah Lexus is saying, I don't really think the teams mentioned will be at the top of the RPI at the end of the year, but they are all talented enough to beat SU. I do think SU should be favored to win most of their games but if they slip up against Albany in their first road game against them ever, or sleep walk against Rutgers like they did two years ago, it could really hurt the RPI, SOS metrics. Its really important they finish the month of February unbeaten and it would be a huge plus to finish the out of conference lineup unbeaten as well. The ACC (outside of UVA) really feels like a tossup this year.

It very might well be a down year for the teams mentioned by DoctahLexus, but I would definitely still be wary of them. Rutgers and Hopkins were a lot closer than the score line indicates last year, and those games will both be on the road. Both teams also have explosive offenses that shouldn't be discounted. Army seems to install an All American in goal and at defense no matter what, and like Hopkins will probably have the best offensive player on the field in Nichtern. I'm not as fearful of Albany this year as year's past but I think the vast majority of the college lacrosse world is sleeping on Tehoka who I think will be really good this year. Cornell, again feels like a forgotten team who returns a lot of really good players (and their big Achilles Heel could be solved by bringing in one of the top FOGO recruits).

My "fear" with this schedule is that I agree with a lot of what Doctah Lexus is saying, I don't really think the teams mentioned will be at the top of the RPI at the end of the year, but they are all talented enough to beat SU. I do think SU should be favored to win most of their games but if they slip up against Albany in their first road game against them ever, or sleep walk against Rutgers like they did two years ago, it could really hurt the RPI, SOS metrics. Its really important they finish the month of February unbeaten and it would be a huge plus to finish the out of conference lineup unbeaten as well. The ACC (outside of UVA) really feels like a tossup this year.

Totally agree Mr. Powellfan. The 5 tough out of conference teams could be a lethal combo of dangerous but poor in the RPI come the end of the year. With every team except Army I think it comes down to if we can find the perfect replacements for Cunningham and Bomberry at close. The only way I see us losing to Cornell, Rutgers, Hopkins, and Albany is if we give up 14-16 goals. Unfortunately that is a serious possibility if the team defense suffers with the loss of our two 3 year starters, and we cannot keep up with the offensive fire power on those teams. All 4 of those teams have excellent attack units. I am confident that the offense will put up solid numbers, especially against their poor defenses, but the two close D replacements need to be ready to go.

Anybody know anything about Jerry Staats?
He was definitely still recovering from his knee injury in the fall and didn’t play in the Denver scrimmage as a result. That and what Extreme said.

He was definitely still recovering from his knee injury in the fall and didn’t play in the Denver scrimmage as a result. That and what Extreme said.
Looks like he's been practicing in those pics posted on Instagram recently.

Totally agree Mr. Powellfan. The 5 tough out of conference teams could be a lethal combo of dangerous but poor in the RPI come the end of the year. With every team except Army I think it comes down to if we can find the perfect replacements for Cunningham and Bomberry at close. The only way I see us losing to Cornell, Rutgers, Hopkins, and Albany is if we give up 14-16 goals. Unfortunately that is a serious possibility if the team defense suffers with the loss of our two 3 year starters, and we cannot keep up with the offensive fire power on those teams. All 4 of those teams have excellent attack units. I am confident that the offense will put up solid numbers, especially against their poor defenses, but the two close D replacements need to be ready to go.

Kind of strange to have all this angst about the defense, and yet SU just had four players from the defense named Pre-Season All American (all of them totally earned I believe). I can't remember the last time SU had that many defensive players named pre or post season All American - maybe a decade ago when Galloway and White were leading the team? Of course, as Quint would say your only as good as your worst defensive player and there are two big question marks on the either side of Mellen.

Part of me feels like it would be better if guys like DiPietro and another "true" close defender started the season, and if they struggled the team could turn to Murphy or Helmer. In a way it feels like they are turning to plan B really early, which I don't take to be a great sign. Hope it is more a case of Helmer/Murphy standing out.

Kind of strange to have all this angst about the defense, and yet SU just had four players from the defense named Pre-Season All American (all of them totally earned I believe). I can't remember the last time SU had that many defensive players named pre or post season All American - maybe a decade ago when Galloway and White were leading the team? Of course, as Quint would say your only as good as your worst defensive player and there are two big question marks on the either side of Mellen.

Part of me feels like it would be better if guys like DiPietro and another "true" close defender started the season, and if they struggled the team could turn to Murphy or Helmer. In a way it feels like they are turning to plan B really early, which I don't take to be a great sign. Hope it is more a case of Helmer/Murphy standing out.
Quint's ridiculous ratings listing SU ahead of Penn U and Penn St. are evidence of his always questionable judgement. To start the season with two new close d's will effect Mellen the way a mistake by last year's close d's did. He will over slide to correct for his teammate and leave someone open around the crease and here we go again. For the first time in years I am glad about starting with a mediocre team. It might provide a chance to patch up the defense before the very tough stretch coming at them. I don't buy the hype this year. To me, even with Scanlan, the attack is suspect. But then I never buy the hype. Comcast has no contract with the ACC this year, so I won't see every game. Probably best for my blood pressure.

Quint's ridiculous ratings listing SU ahead of Penn U and Penn St. are evidence of his always questionable judgement. To start the season with two new close d's will effect Mellen the way a mistake by last year's close d's did. He will over slide to correct for his teammate and leave someone open around the crease and here we go again. For the first time in years I am glad about starting with a mediocre team. It might provide a chance to patch up the defense before the very tough stretch coming at them. I don't buy the hype this year. To me, even with Scanlan, the attack is suspect. But then I never buy the hype. Comcast has no contract with the ACC this year, so I won't see every game. Probably best for my blood pressure.

I am a bit more bearish then you but I do agree there are several concerns on this team attack and close D being the main tqo. I get why Quint is on us but #3 at this point is a bit high. The first two games should give the team a chance to hopefully work some kinks out before the annual Army rock fight.

I am a bit more bearish then you but I do agree there are several concerns on this team attack and close D being the main tqo. I get why Quint is on us but #3 at this point is a bit high. The first two games should give the team a chance to hopefully work some kinks out before the annual Army rock fight.
agree

It’s a ridiculous top 10. Duke is going to be one of the two best teams in the country. Putting them at 4 or 5 would make more sense. Syracuse will be a lot better, but 3 might be too high.

It’s a ridiculous top 10. Duke is going to be one of the two best teams in the country. Putting them at 4 or 5 would make more sense. Syracuse will be a lot better, but 3 might be too high.

Duke is Duke under Danowski so they will be really good yet again but last year seems like a team that overachieved as they didn't really have an elite offense and while they weren't bad they weren't elite at goalie or the X. I won't count them out of anything but Van Raaphorst and Fowler are gone along with I believe the starting LSM and Prendergast at SSDM. Brower may play right away as a frosh but he's still a true frosh in the ACC. Offense returns a lot but Smith the only real initiator is gone along with Seau. Offense should be better with new incoming talent and some good seniors back but I think they will need more consistency from guys like Montgomery and Quigley and to a lesser extent Manown. They also have to find an initiator besides Montgomery out of the midfield. Duke to me is not a top 3 team as least not yet.

Duke is Duke under Danowski so they will be really good yet again but last year seems like a team that overachieved as they didn't really have an elite offense and while they weren't bad they weren't elite at goalie or the X. I won't count them out of anything but Van Raaphorst and Fowler are gone along with I believe the starting LSM and Prendergast at SSDM. Brower may play right away as a frosh but he's still a true frosh in the ACC. Offense returns a lot but Smith the only real initiator is gone along with Seau. Offense should be better with new incoming talent and some good seniors back but I think they will need more consistency from guys like Montgomery and Quigley and to a lesser extent Manown. They also have to find an initiator besides Montgomery out of the midfield. Duke to me is not a top 3 team as least not yet.
Not a great goalie but they get him back as a Graduate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom