Rak Christmas Expectations | Syracusefan.com

Rak Christmas Expectations

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
Judging by the threads on here the past week or so, seems like mostly everyone is high on Keita and Coleman at center. We also know that CJ and Grant will be a formidable forward duo, talking up major minutes.

So where does that leave Christmas? Is he competing with Freshman Roberson for playing time at the 4? Relegated to 3rd string center?

Personally, I think he gets the token start at the 4 with Grant ready to replace him at a moments notice. stat wise, I don't really expect anything more than the 5 and 5 he put up this year.

Hope I'm wrong. He could be a devastating collegiate power forward if he plays with the passion that we seldom see from him.

Judging by the threads on here the past week or so, seems like mostly everyone is high on Keita and Coleman at center. We also know that CJ and Grant will be a formidable forward duo, talking up major minutes.

So where does that leave Christmas? Is he competing with Freshman Roberson for playing time at the 4? Relegated to 3rd string center?

Personally, I think he gets the token start at the 4 with Grant ready to replace him at a moments notice. stat wise, I don't really expect anything more than the 5 and 5 he put up this year.

Hope I'm wrong. He could be a devastating collegiate power forward if he plays with the passion that we seldom see from him.

I think (and hope) that he gets the start at the four.

Difficult to expect him to play with energy - if he hasn't tapped into that consistently in 20 years, it's unlikely that he'll find it over the summer. And if he doesn't, we'll see Grant or someone else in a hurry.

There will also be times when Christmas shows off a great offensive move and looks like the most athletic player on the court. But probably not with any consistency.

He could also see some minutes at center, depending on how his teammates look. People might be high on Coleman, but that's meaningless until it is based on some real observation of quality play against ACC-level competition. He looks thin and he's playing well in a Utica summer league? That's nice. Everyone wrote that last June, too.

I think (and hope) that he gets the start at the four.

Difficult to expect him to play with energy - if he hasn't tapped into that consistently in 20 years, it's unlikely that he'll find it over the summer. And if he doesn't, we'll see Grant or someone else in a hurry.

There will also be times when Christmas shows off a great offensive move and looks like the most athletic player on the court. But probably not with any consistency.

He could also see some minutes at center, depending on how his teammates look. People might be high on Coleman, but that's meaningless until it is based on some real observation of quality play against ACC-level competition. He looks thin and he's playing well in a Utica summer league? That's nice. Everyone wrote that last June, too.

This.

I see Rak's biggest value as the '14-'15 backup center, defensive stopper type. Huge dropoff between him and Chino.

In an Igorian free-for-all team, non-structured team, Rak would see very little time this year. There would be no "Boeheiming" of Roberson and Rak would be fighting it out for the second/third center type minutes.

Giving Rak the token start at pf, then playing a lot at center depending on the situation is the smart play. I think that is what JB will do. Then you can get about 15 mpg out of Rak, DC2, and BMK.

Rak is not behind Keita at the 5. Not sure he's behind Coleman at the 5 (but I hope so). He could possibly start at the 4 but I don't thinkthere is any questiona that Fair and Grant are the best duo to start at the forwards. If he doesn't start at the 5 he'll be in a 3 man rotation with Roberson and Keita as the big men off the bench. JB can just keep bringing big bodies off the bench next year.

I don't know what's going to happen at the 5 but I really don't want to see Rak (or Coleman) playing the 4. Grant showed that he is worthy of strong minutes and Fair needs another true forward on the floor to keep the lane somewhat open. I know Grant isn't a great shooter, but he'll keep defenses honest a lot more than Rak would.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom