Rak could be our first national All-American since Wes Johnson | Syracusefan.com

Rak could be our first national All-American since Wes Johnson

Alsacs

Living Legend
Hak Warrick was a first team all-American in 2005.
Wes Johnson was a second team all-American in 2010.

Rak Christmas is having a beast mode Senior year. Okafor is Rak's competition for ACC first team. Rak should get a look at being one of the top 15 players this year.

He could wind up as an honorable mention AA, which would be pretty great. I'm not anticipating him landing any higher, but if you'd told me a year ago this was a legitimate discussion I'd have slapped you with a herring.

If he continues to put up these numbers, the team improves and competes for a top4 finish in the ACC maybe.

Black%20Betty.jpg

Only two centers in America have a better PPG record at this point. Okafor (18.9) and Alan Williams of UCSB (18.6). I think Rak has his work cut out for him to beat Okafor for the top AA spot. It could happen though if he seriously out performs him in head-to-head competition. I don't think William's resume will be an issue.

Only two centers in America have a better PPG record at this point. Okafor (18.9) and Alan Williams of UCSB (18.6). I think Rak has his work cut out for him to beat Okafor for the top AA spot. It could happen though if he seriously out performs him in head-to-head competition. I don't think William's resume will be an issue.
I've seen Williams play twice this year and completely believe he is the best mid major player in the nation and will have a great NBA career. Along with his 18.6 ppg he also pulls down 11.9 and blocks 2.4 shots per game. Of course playing at UCSB won't get him any big time praise so there's that.

The post season awards try to reward seniors whenever possible. Regardless of what awards he wins, Rak will leave here as one of my all time favorites. I am really enjoying his play this year. Is there still an ongoing argument that we need to bring in a new coach for the bigs? His development has been nothing short of amazing!

The post season awards try to reward seniors whenever possible. Regardless of what awards he wins, Rak will leave here as one of my all time favorites. I am really enjoying his play this year. Is there still an ongoing argument that we need to bring in a new coach for the bigs? His development has been nothing short of amazing!
The new argument is What was JB thinking last year in not featuring Rak when we had so much trouble scoring. Rak flashed this ability at times but never got the ball enough to get comfortable as a lead scorer. Instead we got a legless Cooney and a burnt out CJ trYing to carry the team with jumpers. What a waste.

The new argument is What was JB thinking last year in not featuring Rak when we had so much trouble scoring. Rak flashed this ability at times but never got the ball enough to get comfortable as a lead scorer. Instead we got a legless Cooney and a burnt out CJ trYing to carry the team with jumpers. What a waste.

Yeah. I wish some people on this board would have begged for more rak involvement last year.

Wait a minute...

Yeah. I wish some people on this board would have begged for more rak involvement last year.

Wait a minute...

;)

Yeah, when JB conceded on his radio show that he had some of this in him last year, but wasn't a focus on offense (understatement), I think my head almost exploded. At least it was a little validation though!

Hak Warrick was a first team all-American in 2005.
Wes Johnson was a second team all-American in 2010.

Rak Christmas is having a beast mode Senior year. Okafor is Rak's competition for ACC first team. Rak should get a look at being one of the top 15 players this year.

Wes was also a first team all-american.

Basketball-refrence all american lists

Individual recognition comes with team achievements. It's a coach's cliche but if the team tanks, don't expect Rak to get much national publicity. If we come on strong, Rak will get a ton of credit for it.

Wow, we had 3 (separate) first team AA from 87-90. That's insane.

Must have been good times (born in 90..)

It was awesome. You ruined it.

I brought you a championship

No, somebody born in 2003 brought us the championship, you were just along for the ride by that time!