Rak's best game tonight | Syracusefan.com

Rak's best game tonight

Cuseball

Starter
He was physical with Cooley all night and he caught the ball and finished around the rim. He doesn't need to be a superstar but if he can bring the physical play and finish a few chances we have ourselves a legit center. With two solid guards, CJ and an improving Grant that makes us dangerous. If we get James back then watch out!

Great job by Rak

He probably won't see a pass for another two months. :(

Seriously, great job early by Grant trying to get him the ball a couple times. I still think it will pay dividends getting him touches early, even if he doesn't convert every time.

Seriously, not to be lost in the Jerami Grant shuffle was Rak tonight. Played GREAT defense and great offensively. I just cant understand why he can show up every game. HE HAS THAT ABILITY.

Well, when he was coming in as a frosh, the knock on him was that he didn't have any consistent fire, so he'd disappear. The same scouting reports said that when he decided to play, he showed flashes of absolute brilliance. He's so clearly the most talented offensive 5 we have had in YEARS it's not even funny. He's very, very smooth with the ball. Just needs to actually bring it every night.

Well, when he was coming in as a frosh, the knock on him was that he didn't have any consistent fire, so he'd disappear. The same scouting reports said that when he decided to play, he showed flashes of absolute brilliance. He's so clearly the most talented offensive 5 we have had in YEARS it's not even funny. He's very, very smooth with the ball. Just needs to actually bring it every night.
I think Arinze was a better offensive player than Rak might potentially be.

I think Arinze was a better offensive player than Rak might potentially be.
Arinze never had the ability to knock down 15 footers or shoot free throws like Rak.

I on him after Pitt... Have to give credit when credit is do... Nice game Rak...
yep, me too. great game for the big fella

and how about that shot from about 18' as the shot clock ran out?!

I was really down on him after Pitt- he was invisible...but no one got him the ball either (nor did he go get it). Tonight they got him the ball just enough to keep his head in the game and he went got the ball too. Wonder if that's part of it- hard to be fired up when no one ever passes it to you. He's got a nice stroke, always has. I think he'd hit a lot of shot from 5-10 feet out.

I was really down on him after Pitt- he was invisible...but no one got him the ball either (nor did he go get it). Tonight they got him the ball just enough to keep his head in the game and he went got the ball too. Wonder if that's part of it- hard to be fired up when no one ever passes it to you. He's got a nice stroke, always has. I think he'd hit a lot of shot from 5-10 feet out.

Yeah, he needs some touches early to get his head in the game - been saying that for awhile. For whatever reason the guards don't want to try it.

The first or second possession MCW had him in the post, wouldn't pass it, ended up in Grant's hands, and Grant made the entry pass. Guards gotta get better with that.

Shocked that Brey didnt try to get him into foul trouble and go to Cooley more in the second half. Both of our bigs had 2 at halftime and Rak ended up with 3. Pretty amazing.

i think he needs 2-3 touches in the post per game. and by that i mean situations where he has his back to the basket and given the chance to make a low post move. i like his turnaround and he even has a baby hook. we need to use it more.

yep, me too. great game for the big fella

and how about that shot from about 18' as the shot clock ran out?!

Indeed, love that outside J of his. Doubt that'll happen much. But Rak needs to dominate down low. Be a nice guy off the court. Be a mean SOB on the court. What an inside-outside game that would give SU.

i think he needs 2-3 touches in the post per game. and by that i mean situations where he has his back to the basket and given the chance to make a low post move. i like his turnaround and he even has a baby hook. we need to use it more.

Yeah, he may just need to GET the ball more to be engaged in the game. He was real good today. I think this was his second best game ever in Orange. The first game last year at the 5 in Fab's absence @ Cincy vs Gates was awesome.

Rak's athleticism showed tonight against the more polished but less athletic big men for Notre Dame. Kudos to him. To be consistently solid, though, Rak needs to work hard to improve his footwork and positioning on both ends. Hopefully, he will listen to Coach Hop and bust his rump to develop these aspects of his game.

Rak's athleticism showed tonight against the more polished but less athletic big men for Notre Dame. Kudos to him. To be consistently solid, though, Rak needs to work hard to improve his footwork and positioning on both ends. Hopefully, he will listen to Coach Hop and bust his rump to develop these aspects of his game.
Agreed. If his footwork ever catches up to his hands and overall coordination and athleticism, he could be scary good in the low post. He could give us a (very) poor man's Hakeem-type low post game if he can ever get it together. And no, I'm not saying he's Hakeem, because Hakeem is one of the greatest offensive centers in history. I am, however, saying he's that kind of quick, athletic center who has shown some excellent touch.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I was 100% sold on Rak offensively based on the McD's game, in which he scored a grand total of 2 points. However, those two points were beautiful. A perfect turnaround, fadeaway 12 footer that had great arc and was a perfect swish with great form on the release.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom