Ramblings of one guy after this weekend | Syracusefan.com

Ramblings of one guy after this weekend

Alsacs

Living Legend
I haven't posted as much during the game weekends recently, and honestly yesterday wasn't surprising or unexpected. Florida State could have named the score and actually had mercy on us by only beating us 59-3.

College Football 2013 has changed. I have spent these last few years watching college football and realize today its all about talent. An overwhelming amount of the good teams in college football have good offenses. The really elite teams have a good defense and offense. However, to be dominate in college football you need elite offensive talent. Syracuse talent isn't bad anymore thanks to Doug Marrone, but it lacks good offensive talent. Syracuse is never going to be a football factory due to the lack of elite talent within a 150 mile radius, but we can and should expect to be able to compete with the best. With that said the talent FSU has makes it impossible for very few teams to be able to compete with them. I saw FSU at the ACC Championship game last year versus Georgia Tech and yesterday's team WAS SO MUCH BETTER its crazy and that team had 2 first round draft picks and 11 players drafted overall. Syracuse has no shame being embarrassed by this team and I hope we can get better athletes so that in the future we can be competitive with really talented teams. Let's win these last 2 games get to bowl game and get better recruits for the future. I hope people realize how important that IPF was now and hope it helps the future, and finally thank you to the Syracuse athletes yesterday they played hard, but were just completely outmatched by a superior team. I wish Julian Whigham a speedy recovery and feel better #21 we are praying for you.

I hate how football is going: basically about 7 teams have the inside track on winning it all every year.

I hate that the SEC gets the title game gift wrapped. Why is Bama #1? Oh that's right they started there. Body of work and on the field performance should have FSU miles in front with Bama watching over their shoulder. I love how everyone is talking up a 1 loss Auburn team who got gift wrapped a win yesterday as well. Media will say Bama crushed a very good Auburn team but in truth that conference is mediocre this season.

I hate how football is going: basically about 7 teams have the inside track on winning it all every year.
Exactly. Ive been saying this for years. How people can say the sport is better than college hoops blows me away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why bowl games against the SEC this year are important for ACC to win. Winning the majority of those games changes perception, and that benefits all the schools. ESPN can try to spin things any way they want, but the people who count are the recruits, and they notice who is winning.

College football is the major American sport with the least competitive balance. It really isn't even close and it's getting worse. It's basically the antithesis of what every other sport is trying to achieve,

Exactly. Ive been saying this for years. How people can say the sport is better than college hoops blows me away

Because each game means more and with only up to 13 games for majority of teams it means a lot. We live in a football world and having games on Saturday which is the best day of the week for most people helps. A Tuesday January night vs ga tech in hoops isn't very intense or appealing. The tournament is great but thats about it IMO.

Because each game means more and with only up to 13 games for majority of teams it means a lot. We live in a football world and having games on Saturday which is the best day of the week for most people helps. A Tuesday January night vs ga tech in hoops isn't very intense or appealing. The tournament is great but thats about it IMO.

Speak for yourself - a weeknight game vs GT sounds good to me. Love both sports - but find the regular season doesn't matter argument lacking. Esp the last 5 years - we've been undefeated or ranked on the top ten in Jan a lot.

Then how do you explain Baylor and Stanford?

Granted Stanford has lost to USC, but they were in title talks until very recently.

And Baylor is arguably the 4th or 5th biggest program in the state of Texas (UT, A&M are top 2 with TCU & Texas Tech jockeying for 3rd and 4th with Baylor ) yet, the Bears are right there if/when FSU loses this year (not likely tho)

No, I dont think Cuse is positioned well to compete for a title, but I think WAY MORE THAN 7 teams have a shot in any given year. All they have to do is win.

And next season even more teams will have an opportunity to get that elusive title.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think lots of teams have a shot to win it all in any given season, but I do think it's more than 6 or 7... Prolly closer to 15 or so... Top 2 or 3 in each major conference.

lets
go baylor bears

College football is the major American sport with the least competitive balance. It really isn't even close and it's getting worse. It's basically the antithesis of what every other sport is trying to achieve,

while the middle of the pack is getting more crowded there definitely is an upper tier that has separated from the pack. I always wondered why a kid would choose to go to a place like Alabama and sit for a few years before playing when they could go many other places and play from day 1. Maybe the 3 year waiting time between HS and NFL plays a role? If you have to wait three years anyway the thinking could be go to the best school and star in your jr. year and bolt to the NFL.

That's why bowl games against the SEC this year are important for ACC to win. Winning the majority of those games changes perception, and that benefits all the schools. ESPN can try to spin things any way they want, but the people who count are the recruits, and they notice who is winning.

When an SEC loses a bowl game it's because they didn't want to be there and the pundits concur. See Bama vs Utah or last years Florida vs Louisville.

Plus, once corporations like ESPN have so much money involved in a conference like the SEC, they have to push an agenda. It's too bad they have the criminals that used to go to Miami touting the NFL because they would have helped the ACC if they were doing college football...there's a reason why there are very few ACC school grads, if any, are on ESPN working as one of their mouthpieces for football.

Last edited:
while the middle of the pack is getting more crowded there definitely is an upper tier that has separated from the pack. I always wondered why a kid would choose to go to a place like Alabama and sit for a few years before playing when they could go many other places and play from day 1. Maybe the 3 year waiting time between HS and NFL plays a role? If you have to wait three years anyway the thinking could be go to the best school and star in your jr. year and bolt to the NFL.

Very good point and I think it is a factor. Not to mention that so many NFL scouts (and coaches) are at these big-time schools all the time, so that players get noticed in practices.

Every night is incredible to me. Wake me when they have a real playoff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Football is better, to me. Everybody feels the way they do and unlike some, I respect your feelings and that you enjoy hoops more. I love football because each week means something and if we were fortunate enough to have a true playoff it would be even better if and only if the conference champs go and not some agenda seeking money making school instead of a more deserving one because of some perception or idiot voters/committee.

I like the regular season meaning something and if you win your conference, you can move on unlike basketball when you can be 20-10 and finish 4th in your conference and win. But, I get it with college football because of all of the bullcrap and behind the scenes stuff that pushes some teams into the championship picture they didn't earn...example Bama finishing second in their own division and playing for the championship. That was a huge slap in the face to LSU and devalued the regular season.

I hate that the SEC gets the title game gift wrapped. Why is Bama #1? Oh that's right they started there. Body of work and on the field performance should have FSU miles in front with Bama watching over their shoulder. I love how everyone is talking up a 1 loss Auburn team who got gift wrapped a win yesterday as well. Media will say Bama crushed a very good Auburn team but in truth that conference is mediocre this season.

This is the biggest problem with the BCS and will still be an issue going forward with the playoffs. Teams should not be ranked according to their body of work the previous season. The public perception and the voters are at fault here giving the SEC a ridiculous leg up for every championship. No wonder they have won/played in the last 6 or 7, they have more top 10 ranked teams pre-season than any other conference. Some deserved, some not.

Football is better, to me. Everybody feels the way they do and unlike some, I respect your feelings and that you enjoy hoops more. I love football because each week means something and if we were fortunate enough to have a true playoff it would be even better if and only if the conference champs go and not some agenda seeking money making school instead of a more deserving one because of some perception or idiot voters/committee.

I like the regular season meaning something and if you win your conference, you can move on unlike basketball when you can be 20-10 and finish 4th in your conference and win. But, I get it with college football because of all of the bullcrap and behind the scenes stuff that pushes some teams into the championship picture they didn't earn...example Bama finishing second in their own division and playing for the championship. That was a huge slap in the face to LSU and devalued the regular season.

I also respect your opinion but these three bullets I have highlighted are why college basketball is so much better. We dont have a true playoff (and dont say that the regular season is a playoff because I will puke). The post season in college football is a complete and utter embarrassment. So are the bowls. I love the fact that a 20 win team still has a chance to play in the NCAA tournament. That is what makes the NCAA tournament the best sporting even on the planet.

The last comment you made is why the regular season doesnt matter. Proof positive by what happened with Alabama and LSU.
Right now the only teams that matter in all of college football are Alabama, FSU, Baylor and Ohio State. That's it. Yipee.

College football could fix this real easy. 16 team tournament. Bam greatest sporting event.

I love the bowls and if I were in charge I'd change the tie ins and put the teams in order of their RPI (that's right the better system that for some ungodly reason isn't used by college football). So, after the playoff teams have been established, for the bowl games I'd have 9 vs 10...11 vs 12 and so on until all the bowls are filled. Or, if they did it the Marsh way 17 vs 18...19 vs 20 and so on.

I don't like the 20 win team winning it all. I understand your point and it is nice to have a second chance but I like having the regular season mean more than it does in hoops. You get rewarded for the whole process, not for getting hot at the right time.

I love the bowls and if I were in charge I'd change the tie ins and put the teams in order of their RPI (that's right the better system that for some ungodly reason isn't used by college football). So, after the playoff teams have been established, for the bowl games I'd have 9 vs 10...11 vs 12 and so on until all the bowls are filled. Or, if they did it the Marsh way 17 vs 18...19 vs 20 and so on.

I don't like the 20 win team winning it all. I understand your point and it is nice to have a second chance but I like having the regular season mean more than it does in hoops. You get rewarded for the whole process, not for getting hot at the right time.

Its not so much getting hot at the right time. Its about giving every school a chance to win a national title. Wichita State last year was a prime example. Yes they were ranked but if this were college football they would be nowhere near a playoff. Give every team a chance in a one game setting if they make it into the tournament.

I hear you on your scenario with the bowls but its like putting lipstick on a pig. There is only one bowl game that means anything and the rest are just glorified exhibitions. Even a 3 vs 4 matchup means nothing which is sad. I have a huge problem letting a 6-6 team play in a bowl over a 20 win team playing in the NCAA's. Watching a 6-6 team play against a 6-6 team in a bowl is literally pathetic. (I understand we may be in this position).

I have argued with people that say having a 16 team playoff will make all the other bowls irrelevant. They are all irrelevant now. At least give more teams a shot to play at the end. It still blows me away that college football is the ONLY team sport on the planet that doesnt have a true tournament playoff. That is what makes sports so great. The upsets, the close calls with cinderella going toe to toe with the big boys. This infatuation of fixing it where we for some reason have the have the 2 best teams play for the title drives me crazy. If it works out that way then great.

Its not so much getting hot at the right time. Its about giving every school a chance to win a national title. Wichita State last year was a prime example. Yes they were ranked but if this were college football they would be nowhere near a playoff. Give every team a chance in a one game setting if they make it into the tournament.

I hear you on your scenario with the bowls but its like putting lipstick on a pig. There is only one bowl game that means anything and the rest are just glorified exhibitions. Even a 3 vs 4 matchup means nothing which is sad. I have a huge problem letting a 6-6 team play in a bowl over a 20 win team playing in the NCAA's. Watching a 6-6 team play against a 6-6 team in a bowl is literally pathetic. (I understand we may be in this position).

I have argued with people that say having a 16 team playoff will make all the other bowls irrelevant. They are all irrelevant now. At least give more teams a shot to play at the end. It still blows me away that college football is the ONLY team sport on the planet that doesnt have a true tournament playoff. That is what makes sports so great. The upsets, the close calls with cinderella going toe to toe with the big boys. This infatuation of fixing it where we for some reason have the have the 2 best teams play for the title drives me crazy. If it works out that way then great.

Should there be a 64 team football tournament then? With two play in games?

It will never be like college basketball, and for obvious reasons. The games are different. You can't play 2 football games in a weekend.

I'm glad they are moving to some sort of playoff system next year (although would be awesome this year), but 16 team is a stretch. And even with 16 teams, there still aren't cinderellas.

Should there be a 64 team football tournament then? With two play in games?

It will never be like college basketball, and for obvious reasons. The games are different. You can't play 2 football games in a weekend.
no reason it cant be 8 at a minimum or even 16. You cant tell me this cant happen. Stop with the 12 game regular seasons and start the playoffs in the second week of December.

no reason it cant be 8 at a minimum or even 16. You cant tell me this cant happen. Stop with the 12 game regular seasons and start the playoffs in the second week of December.

How long would the regular season be?

How long would the regular season be?
11 games aside from the conference title games. No reason to give teams 2 bye weeks either during the regular season. Start the tournament the weekend of December 14th. 12-14, 12-21, 12-28 and the title game on 1-6

11 games aside from the conference title games. No reason to give teams 2 bye weeks either during e regular season. Start the tournament the weekend of December 14th. 12-14, 12-21, 12-28 and the title game on 1-6

Why do fools fall in love?

That's why I said win your conference and you go to the playoffs...Northern Illinois and Fresno State included. No 5th team from the SEC.

As for the bowl games...I love seeing conference A vs conference B in games, even the 6-6 teams because I love watching college football. Not because of the records of the teams because I love the sport. The bowls are a reward for the players that worked their ass off for 11 and a half months and probably not for fans that would rather watch some Blossom rerun or a real wives thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom