Random grumbling from me... | Syracusefan.com

Random grumbling from me...

supp

Hall of Fame
There used to be a time when we'd try to run on every miss. I can understand the need to slow things down for the younger and unproven guys and it seems like we have a bunch of unproven guys every year now. You don't want to push it and turn it over and have a run-out the other way. But I don't see the point of slowing things down if we're going to come down and throw up a crap three that leads to a run-out the other way anyway!

And I say this knowing that we've had more breakaway layups and dunks in this ball-game than we have had in the past three or four games combined and knowing that we're shooting it over 65% in the second half! I definitely see the good but I also see opportunities to run that we're passing up. Courtney's team has a better understanding of fast break offense than we do. We did a good job against it in the first half but not in the second. SU teams used to be the best around on the fast break. I'm just wondering what's happened on that front over the past decade or so.

supp said:
There used to be a time when we'd try to run on every miss. I can understand the need to slow things down for the younger and unproven guys and it seems like we have a bunch of unproven guys every year now. You don't want to push it and turn it over and have a run-out the other way. But I don't see the point of slowing things down if we're going to come down and throw up a crap three that leads to a run-out the other way anyway! And I say this knowing that we've had more breakaway layups and dunks in this ball-game than we have had in the past three or four games combined and knowing that we're shooting it over 65% in the second half! I definitely see the good but I also see opportunities to run that we're passing up. Courtney's team has a better understanding of fast break offense than we do. We did a good job against it in the first half but not in the second. SU teams used to be the best around on the fast break. I'm just wondering what's happened on that front over the past decade or so.

As scary as it sounds I think we've improved in that department by a lot this year.

imo, Need to get better in the halfcourt we are already a really good transition team with cooney and gbinije trailing. we will pick up the transition, in non practice games.

Zone zone zone. That's all we're about. Hold the other team to under 60 and hope we hit enough shots to crack 60 and win.

The defenders' positioning in the zone used to help to feed the break because the guards were always ready to receive the ball at the top of the key from rebounders down low and get out and run. Our wings would also be in a position to fill the lane as trailers.

As scary as it sounds I think we've improved in that department by a lot this year.

Post was somewhat of a knee-jerk reaction to an offensive possession with about 5 to go that ended with an ill-advised three from BJ and a fastbreak the other way but it's something I've been thinking about for a good while.

imo, Need to get better in the halfcourt we are already a really good transition team with cooney and gbinije trailing. we will pick up the transition, in non practice games.
Our halfcourt isn't horrible right now. G and Joseph can penetrate; Rak is a serious threat on the block; Cooney and G can shoot from deep. We have a lot more balacne in the halfcourt than we have in a while.

The defenders' positioning in the zone used to help to feed the break because the guards were always ready to receive the ball at the top of the key from rebounders down low and get out and run. Our wings would also be in a position to fill the lane as trailers.
Having the guards always on top ready to run is an asset of the zone. I also wonder why we are no longer taking advantage. Maybe it is lack of depth or a decline in defensive rebounding.

Our halfcourt isn't horrible right now. G and Joseph can penetrate; Rak is a serious threat on the block; Cooney and G can shoot from deep. We have a lot more balacne in the halfcourt than we have in a while.

we only scored 26 second half points at villinova. only 23 first half points against cornell. And Colgate and this year long beach teams teach us nothing their defense is really not good. Nova didn't give G or Cooney a jumpshot the entire second half.

I like to think of transition as what opponents give you as they can run offensive sets to get back on D, unless unexpected turnovers happen. Half court on the other hand is what you take to them.

I feel Cooney and G are really stepping up and thats key, but just don't want to think we are good yet. Had nova played 2 defensive halfs like the second imo, we could have lost by 20.

imo I Agree more transition would be nice but I also predict our wins/losses are going to be decided on whether we can make some tough baskets in the halfcourt. Last years woes were making jumpshots, this years woes could be good looks, if we don't pull it together.

Last edited:
It's not what it used to be, but our transition offense is so much better than it was the past two years.

A lot of credit should go to the point guard. Decision making and distribution are works in progress, but it's nice to see Joseph able to get to the rim and make layups.

We are definitely looking to fastbreak more this year. We are not looking to "slow it down." The problem is, unless those opportunities come off of turnovers out top, almost everyone we have play has tried to take away the break at the expense of going for offensive rebounds. Teams are taking away the break as part of their game plan and they are trying to force SU into half court sets knowing that we do not shoot well.

This is only going to get amplified once league play starts. More than that, we are going to see much better defensive teams making a concerted effort to limit Rak's inside scoring opportunities. We have already seen the ACC's ability to take TC out of games. We are going to need others to step up to win in the ACC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom