Random plays that stick with you | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Random plays that stick with you

Then you will also never forget Bug Williams going 60 feet in 3 three seconds off the dribble to get the ball to Rudy at the top of the key where he throw a missile of of a hook shot in to get us into OT in the reginal final and on the road to San Diego.
That was almost a miracle play, probably never duplicated again.
Bug was quick, Eddie Moss had that kind of quickness.

Cheating a bit here but I still can't get that DePaul game in 2006 out of my head. I honestly think they made every shot in the first half.

A regular season memory that does stick out to me was Gerry’s game winning 3 from the corner against Notre Dame in 2003. That was around the time that season I started believing they could be a really good team.
That's a good one!

The Konganaute fast break run out, dusts a defender with the crossover then dunks and knees himself in the face.

I want to say it was against Marquette at home late in the season.

Last edited:
Then you will also never forget Bug Williams going 60 feet in 3 three seconds off the dribble to get the ball to Rudy at the top of the key where he threw a missile of of a hook shot in to get us into OT in the reginal final and on the road to San Diego.
Bug was the fastest player I ever saw.
Calvin Murphy, Dr. J, and Magic were the best visiting players I have ever seen play Syracuse.
Bill Smith is probably the most under rated SU center ( Smith, Murphy) battle was epic.
My all time favorite player hands down was sweet D. His pre game warm up routine remains magical.

Another thing Packer did was to insist that all of Sherman's alley oops were offensive goaltending. (Actually he may have been right a few times but hey, if the refs don't call it, it's not!.)
Packer was tool. His kids ok

I tend to obsess over bad things that went against us...

1. Nichols missing that wide open layup against Wichita State. We win that game, good chance we sneak in the 07 tourney.

2. Paul Harris fumbling the inbounds pass in 2008 against Pitt during their crazy comeback. We win that game, good chance we sneak in the 08 tourney.

3. The refs misinterpreting Scoop's over and back against Marquette in the 2nd round of 2011 tourney.

4. Terrence Roberts slapping the backboard and getting T'ed up vs. Vermont. If he doesn't do that, our chances of winning are much higher since it went to OT.

You stole mine. An exclamation point on a performance where we humiliated the team that beat us in the championship the year before. Such a good feeling.

But since you took that one, I'll bring up the time Hakeem Warrick dunked from the free throw line, during a game, against Georgetown, and nobody ever talks about it. I'll never understand why that isn't a bigger deal.

In overtime, to seal the win. In the midst of a pretty decent winning streak to start conference play after losing to Oklahoma State, IIRC. 2004-2005.

I haven't seen that dunk since the night it happened. But oh it happened all right.

Yeah, randomly plays definitely stick with me too.

On the exact same court! Only, our version was much tougher. They had a guy in front of Hop on the in bound, and McNasty wasn’t exactly a sharpshooter.

Which as a totally irrelevant aside was that much cooler on the Spectrum court than it would've been nowadays on those generic black and blue NCAA courts.

Does anybody else have random plays from regular season games roughly a decade or more in the past that they think about a few times a week?

For me, it’s the floppiest flop of all time by a floppy flopper, Ryan Arcidiacono. On December 2014, to my recollection, he fell down as if shot by a howitzer during an otherwise meaningless regular season game and despite not being touched. That flop capped off an immensely BS comeback that resulted in a Nova OT win, some say is the most undeserved win in human history, across all sports and wars.

This lives with me to the point that I saw him on the bench during a Knicks game earlier this season and had a visceral “Fudge that P-word B” reaction before I knew what happened.

Anyway, anybody else hate a man for something insignificant they did forever ago?

*I took a liquid lunch at BWW that is turning into liquid dinner and these NCAAT games suck.
Three others that are perhaps a bit more obscure:

Bouie, with four fouls, denying Joe Barry Carroll at the rim late in the 1980 game at Purdue.
Orr front rimming a 30 footer to send the first last game at Manley into OT.
McCarty tip in of a missed shot at 64-62 in the 1996 final

Random one for me, in the famous 96 S16 game against Georgia, after having like a 10 point lead in the 2nd half, Wallace picked up foul #4, and Georgia went on a huge run, then was suddenly was up 9 with about 3 minutes to go in regulation and seemed in total control. Sims hit back to back 3s real quick to cut the lead to 3 with 2 minutes or so to go, suddenly we were alive. With the JW/Cipolla theatrics, I think that gets forgotten. And Z wasn't known from lighting it up from 3, and this was not like today's game where 3s go up every minute and each team has 4-5 guys who can hit them consistently.