Random St John's Game Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Random St John's Game Thoughts

anomander

Living Legend
Thought this was a great win today. Experience wise this game could go a long way for the teams development. Nice road win where the home team played probably to their ceiling. A couple thoughts

- Can't say enough about Tyler Ennis. Those first 3 games where some people were concerned about him see so long ago now. He seems he has the ability to get to the cup at will. With Cooney being locked down tonight, and Harrison not helping off him it opened up the floor for Ennis, Fair, and Grant. Ennis didn't have his usual assist numbers, but showed he can score if you take away the pass. What's even more amazing for a Freshman PG is his amazing 5:1 assist:turnover ratio. Totally ridiculous. Let's enjoy him these next 2 years

- CJ didn't seem to have his typical CJ game, but still managed to give you around 20. He missed a couple of those 15 footers throughout the game, and had some uncommon turnovers. Yet once again he came through huge down the stretch, totally taking over the game. This is what seniors are supposed to do. He had the maturity to brush off a so so game, and completely dominate down the stretch,. I do think he is better when we let the game come to him instead of running the offense through him, but he has shown he can make plays when needed. We will have to live with a few more turnovers, and misses then we are accustomed to because of that, but ultimately it's what this team needs.

-Rak continues to show his development. I think he has separated himself as clearly the best center on the team. He showed some very nice offensive moves today, especially that drive with the spin at the end. His defense has always been there, but it seems he is playing with more aggressiveness this season. I really don't get why he still gets pulled down the stretch, but if he continues to play how he is that will come to an end soon. Baye is like John Wettland in the mid 90's, but his set up man Rivera (Rak) is about to take over the roll

- Cooney had a rough game, but it's good he got this learning experience while still escaping with a win. I am sure Boeheim will show him and the team film on this and how exaclty to attack it. The floor is more spread open when teams are forced to do this, and the team should be in attack mode. I am sure JB will address this.

-Coleman continues to show improvement as well. I think he will be a force next year, and the year after. He has made improvements defensively, but still costs him playing time, just because of the defensive prowess of Rak and Baye. The first couple buckets by Coleman really shown what he can do. He seems to have cut out the low dribble completely, and keeps the ball high. I really feel if we fed him the ball 10-15 times a game he would be a consistent double figure scorer. His time will come though

-Grat the human highlight film continues. His athleticism is off the charts. I thought the 2 handed volleyball block was actually better then the opposite foot dunk. I would still like to see him mix in the 15 foot jumper occassionally to keep teams honest, but he is either a layup or a foul when he drives. Let's enjoy him this year.

Finally great team win where we got some good close game experience in a high intensity atmosphere. SJU did some things that will help Syracuse as the season goes along. I thought the SJU zone was pretty effective, and something we will need to work on. Whenever Cooney goes out teams will immediately zone us. Let's just keep winning, being able to play in MSG in the East regional cannot be understated. If we are Buffalo-NYC East region we are going back to the Final Four

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom