Random thoughts re: NBA Hardwood Classics | Syracusefan.com

Random thoughts re: NBA Hardwood Classics

Eric15

Living Legend
I enjoy NBA Hardwood Classics on NBATV, and learned two very random things while watching Bulls/Celtics from 1986...

(1) Michael Jordan and the "Iceman" George Gervin played together for one season in 1986. Never knew that.

(2) Bill Walton only scored 6,215 career NBA points - I can't believe it's that low. I knew he had an injury plagued career, but if you had asked me how many career points he had, I would have guessed somewhere around 15K.

Funny I was watching the game myself, from the early get go they started draining shots. I started thinking to myself these guys value every shot even early on. Jordan had such a rediculous smooth stroke to go with his rediculous ball handling and athleticism.

LOL. I am almost positive Bill Waltons the guy with the big mouth against Melo.
6,215 points for his entire 10 year career.
Melo had that many points by age 22 which would have been Waltons rookie season.
What a joke!

I've been watching these games as well when I catch them. It's funny because as crazy as tis may sound when I was watching the Utah-Chicago games from the late 90's, I'm really unimpressed with Utah. I mean comparing them to the two teams in the Finals this year, I don't think they stand a chance. Their third and fourth best players were Hornacek and Russell, both good players and real nice role players, but IMHO far cries from Bosh or Harden and im not sure theyre even better than Ibaka. They seem slower, thinner, and less athletic. Then I watch their two stars Stockton and Malone, and I don't see them being dominant or strike that fear into you like the Westbrook/Durant and LeBron/Wade duos do. Before some of those on here who love to glorify the past break out their pitchforks, I'm not saying by any means they weren't reat players. I'm just saying its interesting to compare and IMHO Utah would've been swept by both teams.

Having said that, the Chicago Phoenix game they've been showing has been incredibly impressive. The ball movement, the skill the players show, the intensity, it was really fun to watch. That was much more fun trying to compare Phoenix that year to OKC or Miami. With Barkley, Kevin Johnson, Ainge, Majerle, just a lot of fun to watch. It was fun too seeing Barkley play so well and reminder of how good he was when today all you see of him obviously is announcing games and become a legend as an analyst.

I've been watching these games as well when I catch them. It's funny because as crazy as tis may sound when I was watching the Utah-Chicago games from the late 90's, I'm really unimpressed with Utah. I mean comparing them to the two teams in the Finals this year, I don't think they stand a chance. Their third and fourth best players were Hornacek and Russell, both good players and real nice role players, but IMHO far cries from Bosh or Harden and im not sure theyre even better than Ibaka. They seem slower, thinner, and less athletic. Then I watch their two stars Stockton and Malone, and I don't see them being dominant or strike that fear into you like the Westbrook/Durant and LeBron/Wade duos do. Before some of those on here who love to glorify the past break out their pitchforks, I'm not saying by any means they weren't reat players. I'm just saying its interesting to compare and IMHO Utah would've been swept by both teams.

Having said that, the Chicago Phoenix game they've been showing has been incredibly impressive. The ball movement, the skill the players show, the intensity, it was really fun to watch. That was much more fun trying to compare Phoenix that year to OKC or Miami. With Barkley, Kevin Johnson, Ainge, Majerle, just a lot of fun to watch. It was fun too seeing Barkley play so well and reminder of how good he was when today all you see of him obviously is announcing games and become a legend as an analyst.
That's almost like saying the 1927 Yankees wouldn't be competitive today since they had a team of slow white guys.

That's almost like saying the 1927 Yankees wouldn't be competitive today since they had a team of slow white guys.

Yea almost except the 1927 Yankees were 85 years ago, the 1998 Utah Jazz were less than 15 years ago and athleticism and size play quite a bigger role in basketball than baseball, and i disnt say they wouldnt e competitive i said they werent as good as the two beat teams in the league this year. Other than that same thing you're right.

Yea almost except the 1927 Yankees were 85 years ago, the 1998 Utah Jazz were less than 15 years ago and athleticism and size play quite a bigger role in basketball than baseball, and i disnt say they wouldnt e competitive i said they werent as good as the two beat teams in the league this year. Other than that same thing you're right.

The only problem I would have with that is the 97 Bulls were a great team, with the greatest player of all time close to his peak, and they couldn't sweep the Jazz.

The only problem I would have with that is the 97 Bulls were a great team, with the greatest player of all time close to his peak, and they couldn't sweep the Jazz.

True, very valid point. I thought about that too when watching and writing that. Which opened up a pandoras box of how would a series between those Chicago teams and the elte teams now unfold, and also the overall talent level of the league today compared to 10-15 years ago. I think it would be a lot of fun to see how things would play out. If the Heats small ball approach would work against the Bulls, or how they would defend the triangle and the matchups of Jordan/Pippen vs LeBron/Wade, or Rodman's rebounding prowess if his man is constantly pulling him out to the perimeter. A lot of fun things to think about.

True, very valid point. I thought about that too when watching and writing that. Which opened up a pandoras box of how would a series between those Chicago teams and the elte teams now unfold, and also the overall talent level of the league today compared to 10-15 years ago. I think it would be a lot of fun to see how things would play out. If the Heats small ball approach would work against the Bulls, or how they would defend the triangle and the matchups of Jordan/Pippen vs LeBron/Wade, or Rodman's rebounding prowess if his man is constantly pulling him out to the perimeter. A lot of fun things to think about.

Don't forget the coaching matchups.

Phil v. Spo / Brooks

Big edge to Phil.

Also, with the rules of today, Jordan would be absolutely unstoppable (even more so than he was).

And I would absolutely love to see Lebron matched up against Scottie.

A Miami Chicago series would have been so much fun. Both teams were similar in that they didn't really have a great C or PG.

It would e so much fun to watch. Jordan ad Pippen are obviously incredible perimeter defenders, but what would come into play more watching LeBrons evolution is how would they be able to handle him in the post? Then does Ron Harper just take Chalmers in the post every time down, but can he keep chalmers in front of him on the other end? Lol the questions could go on and on.

It would e so much fun to watch. Jordan ad Pippen are obviously incredible perimeter defenders, but what would come into play more watching LeBrons evolution is how would they be able to handle him in the post? Then does Ron Harper just take Chalmers in the post every time down, but can he keep chalmers in front of him on the other end? Lol the questions could go on and on.

Yeah. And let's be honest, Rodman did a number on Mailman mentally during those series. If anyone had a fragile psyche, Rodman would break them.

Yeah. And let's be honest, Rodman did a number on Mailman mentally during those series. If anyone had a fragile psyche, Rodman would break them.

Well the Mailman did give him a diamond cutter, he had it coming to him