Random Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Random Thoughts

Nicknack

All Conference
Great win and one that we obviously needed in a huge way. It may have come a bit too late, but, it provides hope going into our next game with a chance to get back to even in the conference. From last night's game, some random thoughts and observations:

• Marek is a beast. What heart, determination and skill he shows game after game.
  • Boeheim was one proud papa in the presser which was nice to see. He was also proud of his players which was also nice to see.
  • Dakic is lazy. He really is. He rests on the same comments from game to game, especially regarding Buddy. That said, I still sort of like him as he's not a stiff but I never learn a thing about the game from him.
  • Howard is a very steady player and can give much needed rest for our starting guards. That said, it would be nice if he could do something, just anything, offensively.
  • Love Hughes but don't love when he yells at a teammate
  • Virginia really looked awful for much of the game last night. When they went on that run to take the lead, after Marek and Sidibie had to sit, it looked like we were in trouble. However, Virginia reverted back to missing shots. We not only got a very important game but looked like the better team.
  • Huff gave us fits - solid player and looked like the best on the court for periods of the game. His free throw shooting? Oh my, we got a gift there.
  • Fun to think about having Joe for 3 more years
  • Jesse... enough said
  • This win gives me much more hope and anticipation for the BC game - let's go!

Yes, Virginia looked terrible and so did we. Both teams had so many opportunities to win and they couldn’t manage it. If we had lost, Buddy’s lack of scoring would have been one of the reasons, a big one. We need him, and that’s a fact.

Our team is a 3 pt scoring team, and we can make incredible shots. I thought we lost the V Tech game because Hughes kept trying to go inside at the end and kept blowing it. He blew a few in this game as well. I am by no means any kind of analyst of basketball, but I don’t see why most of our games can’t look like the Notre Dame game and the OT of this one. (Yes, I understand ND didn’t play defense.) Just let it rip, guys! Let it rip! Especially Hughes and Girard, who can hit from anywhere. Keep passing the ball until we find the player with the open 3 pt shot, pass it, shoot it. (Okay, I do have to admit I am fond of some of the clever back door plays we make, but we make that play hardly at all.)

That is my naive perspective. Three Point Bomb Squad. That is our identity.

For 40 minutes that game represented everything wrong with college basketball. Ugly on every level. Our hot shooting wins in OT but doesn't change the fact that these are two basketball teams that are not very good. Bennett and clearly missed on some recruits too.

This is game is what I imagined if you took our starting 5 plus bench, cloned them, and had them play each other. Other than OT, the box score was jr high-like.

That's a very funny thought but so true. Sort of reminds of the Seinfeld episode...

hqdefault.jpg

Hughes bomb last year versus duke and buddy’s bomb versus Virginia...do they practice these shots?

Probably not that much :) I had a feeling Buddy's was going in, nonetheless, it's still a shock when they do go in! Or maybe you just always have that feeling on shots like that. hmmm...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom