Rank the potential causes of our struggles | Syracusefan.com

Rank the potential causes of our struggles

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Im listing these in no particular order. Please rank these in the order of what has impacted our team’s struggles the most to least in your opinion.

Recruiting
Gameplanning
Failure to adjust
The Zone
Underperforming Players
Depth
Sanctions/Scholarship Reduction
ACC competition
Failure to develop players
One and Dones.

Im listing these in no particular order. Please rank these in the order of what has impacted our team’s struggles the most to least in your opinion.

Recruiting
Gameplanning
Failure to adjust
The Zone
Underperforming Players
Depth
ACC competition
One and Dones.

Depth
Gameplanning
Failure to adjust
Recruiting
Tie for all the rest.

I feel that it all boils down to not having a rotation of any sort and gameplanning/adjusting mid game. It is just down right embarrassing that we have 3 of the top 5 MPG players not just in the ACC, but in the COUNTRY. Battle, Howard, and Brissett are all solid guys, but not superstars that are benefitting from this over-usage. It also seems that Boeheim has a plan going into every game but he does not make adjustments during the game. I have watched every game this year and attended my first live game of the year last night and it is just tough to see the program performing like this. Going to be a rough road head. As much as I want for next years recruiting class to turn things around, there are just too many questions marks surrounding the program.

Recruiting
Gameplanning
Failure to adjust
The Zone
Underperforming Players
Depth
ACC competition
One and Dones.
All of the above are tied for first.

1. Underperforming players. Guys haven't developed their game to be multi-dimensional.
    1. Dolezaj can rebound and hustle with the best of them. He has good vision for a man of his stature. He can't shoot or dribble.
    2. Moyer can't shoot or dribble.
    3. Chukwu still brings the ball to waist instead of keeping it high. He doesn't finish well at the rim like all of the bigs.
    4. Brissett doesn't finish well at the rim. Struggles shooting from the perimeter.
    5. Frank doesn't have handle the ball as well as he should for a player of his position.
    6. Tyus at times doesn't trust his teammates, plays with tunnel vision and is prone to poor decision making.
  2. Failure to develop goes hand in hand with underperforming.
  3. Sanctions and scholarship reduction. You have to work with what you have and still develop players, but being handcuffed with a limited number of scholarships makes that room for error minimal.
  4. Game planning. You can only plan so much. At some point, the players need to execute. If you look at the Georgia Tech game, the players weren't prepared to play. That nullifies any planning done before the contest.
  5. One and Dones. Next man up. It isn't as big of a deal as it is made to be. Syracuse didn't skip a beat offensively when Malachi left. Would you like some continuity, yes, but that's not a reality for high major programs in this era of basketball.
  6. ACC competition. The ACC outside of Duke and Virginia isn't good. This is a team that dropped three conference games they had no business losing.
  7. The zone is the least of the problems. This is arguably the best it has been in years. Syracuse muddies up a game like Virginia with its defense.
  8. The problem isn't adjusting either. The zone has adjusted well throughout the season.
  9. Depth. Boeheim has gone with 6-8 players with little to no issue.

Recruiting
Gameplanning
Failure to adjust
The Zone
Underperforming Players
Depth
ACC competition
One and Dones.

Guard Play
Recruiting
Coaching/System (offense)
Player Development
Poor shooters
Lack of Interior play
Tempo
Gameplanning/adjusting in-game

One and dones

Depth

ACC Competition

Sanctions

Recruiting
Gameplanning
Failure to adjust
The Zone
Underperforming Players
Depth
ACC competition
One and Dones.
This season? Youth and inexperience is the main issue. We are a very young team. And then we lost any depth (and offensive firepower) we might have had when TT and Thorpe bailed.

If you’re talking about the recent past, I’d say all of those (except for the zone) have been factors, with the sanctions and losing guys early to the NBA as the most prominent.

unexpected loss of players not ready for the NBA
unexpected loss of players wanting to live in NJ
unexpected loss of players who thought they would not get enough playing time
unexpected loss of players to injury

Failure to develop players—skills and IQ aren't progressing. Frankie's turnovers, Oshae continuing to need to crash into people to try layups when five-foot jumpers are right there... Chukwu not commanding his space, and doing too much when he's already under/at the rim... It's like we don't work on fundamentals, and/or whatever we do work on isn't being taught at the highest level. It's cool, having an all alum staff. But, it's just not possible that all of those guys are actually the best possible assistants in their respective duties. I don't care that Bernie wasn't an NBA big man. Whether or not he really was as good as Seikaly says, that's irrelevant. I'm not going to be convinced that the best resource for learning the intricacies of battling against other big men is a guard. Doesn't matter how long he's been coaching it, or how much he's studied. It's all intellectual, and a player needs the physical and intellectual, which come from real world experience. IMHO... And with a staff full of guards, why is Frankie still playing the way he plays? He can make a big shot. I give him a lot of credit for developing that 3-ball, even as it has become inconsistent. But, he's been in the program for a while, and even if he's not naturally a PG, that's what he is with us. He should be better in that respect. I don't see even echoes of the passer he was as a freshman in those spot minutes. What happened? I realize that contradicts what i say in the third point...

Gameplanning—We seem to not know who's on the court until they're already bombed a bunch of threes. Or, they've done the FT line pass to the post or to the wings, etc. As if we didn't watch any game tape, and we 'adjust' after a 'quarter' or half. After tone has already been set and the other guys have confidence.

JB/Psychology—A negative image tv-wise, toward recruiting. And reaming out players for mistakes on-court seems antithetical toward player progression. We still make the same mistakes after the reaming. And if we had any depth, instead of just the chewing out, the player would be benched for a few minutes 'to learn his lesson' with a player determined to be 'lesser' taking those minutes. It has to suck, taking a shot or making a pass, in those milliseconds of second-guessing yourself. We see that when players are rid of the leash, they play more efficiently. Confidence is important. Coaching doesn't require tantrums and tirades. JB has been the coach of a great program. I never thought he was a great coach. I don't think those are necessarily contradictory statements.

The Zone—I still hate the zone as a one-size-fits-all approach. Not sure it's what damages us this year, although i think we do play differently on offense when we press on defense. And i believe it's a negative in recruiting.

ACC competition—Not the competition, but not being the top dawg in your own conference and being a misfit 'geographically' will have a long-term effect.

-------

Underperforming Players—Related to Development.

Depth—We should be used to not playing more than 7 guys. Sidibe being injured hurts us, even when he does get minutes. He's not the same guy i saw in the HS games.

Sanctions/Scholarship Reduction—Tired of that excuse. We only play 6-7 guys.

Recruiting—we still have higher-rated recruits than the other teams. Whether or not they're the right players, or they've drilled effectively enough to develop and progress with essential fundamental skills, that's the issue. Yes, better/more talent will compensate for the other issues, but you need a bunch of bandaids to cover an axe wound. Lately, we don't have enough of them. Carmelo was a giant Ace bandage. Gotta pray Bazeley is, too.

One and Dones.—Not new. Everyone who gets recruits at a certain level has to deal with it. I don't think JB's bench persona and habits are positive towards retention, though.

Failure to adjust—Adjust to what? Is this not game planning, or do you mean something more global, re: the 'college basketball environment?'

1. The other team scoring more than we do.

2. Followed closely by failing to score more than the other team does.

78B4C0D5-7F5D-41AD-A89F-D48E3AB937CB.jpeg

This season? Youth and inexperience is the main issue. We are a very young team. And then we lost any depth (and offensive firepower) we might have had when TT and Thorpe bailed.

If you’re talking about the recent past, I’d say all of those (except for the zone) have been factors, with the sanctions and losing guys early to the NBA as the most prominent.

I would add lack of improvement, team youth can get you so much, but come on this team has made no improvement since they rolled out the ball in Nov.

All kidding aside for just one moment. We must have broken the contract with the devil that says a final four is only allowed every 7 years minimum. We’re simply paying off the debts right now for the 2016 FF.

1 Point guard play
2 shooters
although I’m not sure that is the correct order.

Failure to develop players—skills and IQ aren't progressing. Frankie's turnovers, Oshae continuing to need to crash into people to try layups when five-foot jumpers are right there... Chukwu not commanding his space, and doing too much when he's already under/at the rim... It's like we don't work on fundamentals, and/or whatever we do work on isn't being taught at the highest level. It's cool, having an all alum staff. But, it's just not possible that all of those guys are actually the best possible assistants in their respective duties. I don't care that Bernie wasn't an NBA big man. Whether or not he really was as good as Seikaly says, that's irrelevant. I'm not going to be convinced that the best resource for learning the intricacies of battling against other big men is a guard. Doesn't matter how long he's been coaching it, or how much he's studied. It's all intellectual, and a player needs the physical and intellectual, which come from real world experience. IMHO... And with a staff full of guards, why is Frankie still playing the way he plays? He can make a big shot. I give him a lot of credit for developing that 3-ball, even as it has become inconsistent. But, he's been in the program for a while, and even if he's not naturally a PG, that's what he is with us. He should be better in that respect. I don't see even echoes of the passer he was as a freshman in those spot minutes. What happened? I realize that contradicts what i say in the third point...

Gameplanning—We seem to not know who's on the court until they're already bombed a bunch of threes. Or, they've done the FT line pass to the post or to the wings, etc. As if we didn't watch any game tape, and we 'adjust' after a 'quarter' or half. After tone has already been set and the other guys have confidence.

JB/Psychology—A negative image tv-wise, toward recruiting. And reaming out players for mistakes on-court seems antithetical toward player progression. We still make the same mistakes after the reaming. And if we had any depth, instead of just the chewing out, the player would be benched for a few minutes 'to learn his lesson' with a player determined to be 'lesser' taking those minutes. It has to suck, taking a shot or making a pass, in those milliseconds of second-guessing yourself. We see that when players are rid of the leash, they play more efficiently. Confidence is important. Coaching doesn't require tantrums and tirades. JB has been the coach of a great program. I never thought he was a great coach. I don't think those are necessarily contradictory statements.

The Zone—I still hate the zone as a one-size-fits-all approach. Not sure it's what damages us this year, although i think we do play differently on offense when we press on defense. And i believe it's a negative in recruiting.

ACC competition—Not the competition, but not being the top dawg in your own conference and being a misfit 'geographically' will have a long-term effect.

-------

Underperforming Players—Related to Development.

Depth—We should be used to not playing more than 7 guys. Sidibe being injured hurts us, even when he does get minutes. He's not the same guy i saw in the HS games.

Sanctions/Scholarship Reduction—Tired of that excuse. We only play 6-7 guys.

Recruiting—we still have higher-rated recruits than the other teams. Whether or not they're the right players, or they've drilled effectively enough to develop and progress with essential fundamental skills, that's the issue. Yes, better/more talent will compensate for the other issues, but you need a bunch of bandaids to cover an axe wound. Lately, we don't have enough of them. Carmelo was a giant Ace bandage. Gotta pray Bazeley is, too.

One and Dones.—Not new. Everyone who gets recruits at a certain level has to deal with it. I don't think JB's bench persona and habits are positive towards retention, though.

Failure to adjust—Adjust to what? Is this not game planning, or do you mean something more global, re: the 'college basketball environment?'
Great post.

(1) Failure to adjust/Gameplanning

I feel that our best games were when we made earlier adjustments both defensively and offensively. Some of our early, bad losses were due to the lack of adjustment until halftime. We did not pressure/close out on shooters and got in the hole early or blew leads. Offensively, Marek provided a spark with passing and flashing to the foul line, and this freed up pressure on Howard/Battle, who would otherwise be in ISO mode. I do not know how many times we can run the same ISO/high ball screen unsuccessfully and think it will work after 10 misfires. JB needs to adjust earlier. Washington coming in and playing point also led to more movement off the ball. I know this is not an option now, but this provided a spark in some games

(2) Sanctions/Scholarship Reduction/Depth/Recruiting

This is self-explanatory. Thorpe gone. Thompson screwing us. Washington out for the season. Sidibe gimpy until recently. Moyer still gimpy.

(3) Underperforming Players

Brissett cannot make a layup or shot within 5 feet of the basket. He is strong, and I am not sure why he does not go strong to the basket. The contorted layup does not work.

(4) ACC competition

The ACC does not seem to be as good as years' past. Every team is beatable, and there are a lot of teams in the middle of the pack.

The Zone; Failure to develop players; One and Dones. These are irrelevant, out of our control, or not unique to SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom