Ranking BE POY candidates | Syracusefan.com

Ranking BE POY candidates

billsin01

All American
the thread on Siva being an awful BE POY candidate got me thinking about how I'd rank potential candidates. Here's my top 5 based on how I actually think the media will see it by the end of the season:

5) Siva
You can hate the guy or think he's overrated, but he is a talented kid. Had 8+ assists nine times last season, played pretty solidly in March (Good BE Tourney and played well enough at the point to lead L'ville to the Final Four). Is he anywhere near as good as many media types think he is? No, but he'll still put up pretty good numbers on a team likely to win the league.

4) Carter-Williams
I think MCW has a really good shot at this award in the sense that I think he'll be regarded as the best player on this team and this team is a pretty good bet to finish in the top 3. If he's as good as people think he could easily win the award, if he's not quite as good as we think, I'd still think he'll put up close to 6 assists a game and score in double-figures.

3) Porter
Double-figures in 9 of his last 12 games, at least 7 rebounds in six of those games and (surprise, surprise!) he'll be the focal point at G'town this year since Thompson seems to perennially be in scramble mode to field a starting 5. I don't know how good Porter actually is, but it's hard to imagine him losing shots to Starks, Hopkins, Lubick and the gang. Plus, G'town will likely finish north of .500 in conference, which seems to be enough to draw consideration if you put up 17-18 a game with 7-8 rebs.

2) Tray Woodall
I think Pitt played much better with Woodall in the second half of the BE season and March last year. I also think Pitt's teams are much better with a wealth of experience, which they have this season. I also think there's a solid chance Adams and Ziegler will add much needed talent to the roster. Add it all up and I think Pitt will be a few spots better than most preseason mags have them (3rd instead of what I've seen, around 5th or 6th). Woodall will get a bunch of credit as the senior and is likely to put up good numbers pretty efficiently (averaged 12 and 6 with good shooting percentages and decent assist:TO numbers last season.

1) Dieng
I honestly believe Dieng is going to be really hard to out-do for this award. I think he's better offensively than he looks, since his game isn't exactly pretty. Double-digits in rebounds in 7 of his last 10 (averaged 9/game for the year) and averaged 3 blocks per game. He doesn't have to do that much offensively to be a huge factor this season. Plus, I think L'ville is a decent bet, as previously mentioned, to win the league, which will get him extra votes.

Just missed the list: Cooley. Cooley's a good player and had a huge Feb. last year. He's a lock to be on a first or second team all conference. Just not sure I see him as a POY for some reason.

Darkhorses:
Behanan -- Had a big march and is pretty talented. Should get a bunch of minutes. If people buy into him as L'ville's best player then we're in good shape.

Harrison -- If SJU surprises

Kilpatrick/Wright -- if Cincy pushes into the top 3

Council -- If PC surprises

Thoughts?

I think Chane should be top-5, with Cooley, porter, Siva, MCW..

I think its Cooley's to lose. He will play 35 mins per night in an offense built for him to score a lot of points.

I think its Cooley's to lose. He will play 35 mins per night in an offense built for him to score a lot of points.

Yeah that was my thought. He'll get a ton of minutes and likely put up pretty big numbers.

while I'm confident that MCW will be very good, I am not certain that he will be SU's best player. This is not to discount MCW, it is to acknowledge the wealth of talent on the roster. For that reason, I would take MCW off the list of candidates and substitute "Syracuse's best player."

while I'm confident that MCW will be very good, I am not certain that he will be SU's best player. This is not to discount MCW, it is to acknowledge the wealth of talent on the roster. For that reason, I would take MCW off the list of candidates and substitute "Syracuse's best player."

Agreed A Syracuse player will be in the conversation.
I'd also go Behanan over Siva for Lville.

Can't stand Cooley. One of my top wishes this year is for Coleman to be a good player. Not so that Syracuse can be a great team, but so that he can destroy Cooley. Still bitter about 21 January.

Otto Porter's a darn good player, but I'd be surprised if he's in the running for player of the year. Tough to get enough touches to put up great offensive numbers in Thompson's system. Could have a nice 14/8 kind of season, though.

My pick is Cooley, followed by Kilpatrick, Otto Porter, D'Angelo Harrison, Vincent Council.

Although I expect Louisville and Syracuse to be the top 2 teams, I think both teams are so deep, each will have 2 or 3 candidates that are all strong that will kind of cancel each other out (Siva, Behanan, Dieng, maybe even Blackshear, and then we got MCW, Triche and Fair.) Meanwhile there will be a handful of candidates at other schools that will get a lot more playing time and so will score significantly more ppg, like the guys i have listed. But if Cooley comes close to 18 ppg and 10 rpg like i think he might, he'll probably take it.

I wouldn't put Woodall on the list. Pitt has other guys who are more important/better.

My list.

1) Cooley
2)Otto Porter
3)Vincent Council
4)D'Angelo Harrison
5)Sean Kilpatrick

I wouldn't put Woodall on the list. Pitt has other guys who are more important/better.

My list.

1) Cooley
2)Otto Porter
3)Vincent Council
4)D'Angelo Harrison
5)Sean Kilpatrick

True, but I voters love "senior leaders." I also think he's an important piece for them. Pitt always seems to do well with relatively talented senior point guards.

Edit: And I love Council but PC will have to surprise and be at least on the outskirts of contending (top half) to get him any consideration. Could happen, but I don't know that I'd bet on it.

Can't stand Cooley. One of my top wishes this year is for Coleman to be a good player. Not so that Syracuse can be a great team, but so that he can destroy Cooley. Still bitter about 21 January.

Otto Porter's a darn good player, but I'd be surprised if he's in the running for player of the year. Tough to get enough touches to put up great offensive numbers in Thompson's system. Could have a nice 14/8 kind of season, though.

Yeah, my only thought on Porter is who else scores there? Starks? Hopkins? Whittington? Porter should get the Freeman treatment and get plenty of touches, I would think.

Yeah, my only thought on Porter is who else scores there? Starks? Hopkins? Whittington? Porter should get the Freeman treatment and get plenty of touches, I would think.

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be a lot there. It's possible that Porter scores 19 of their 54 points each night.

True, but I voters love "senior leaders." I also think he's an important piece for them. Pitt always seems to do well with relatively talented senior point guards.

Edit: And I love Council but PC will have to surprise and be at least on the outskirts of contending (top half) to get him any consideration. Could happen, but I don't know that I'd bet on it.

Truth, I know a lot about Pitt basketball. And Woodall will have a good year, but their players of the year will be Ziegler, Patterson, Adams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom