Re: Cooney. | Syracusefan.com

Re: Cooney.

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
I was talking to someone to get some updates on FB. As that was going on, in midstream, he told me that Trevor Cooney has been lighting it up in practice. Only BBall mention he gave. Hope so and hope it translates this year.

Yeah, we heard that was the case all of last year too. The best I can be is cautiously optimistic after watching him struggle in games last year. We shall see.

Yeah, we heard that was the case all of last year too. The best I can be is cautiously optimistic after watching him struggle in games last year. We shall see.

I would be interested to know whether that was in shoot around or if that was in scrimmages. Word was last year that even in scrimmages you could see his inconsistancy. If he is doing it in scrimmages that would be great to hear. Trevor is a hard worker, is in his third year on campus and is surrounded by young guys at his position. I would think that should really help his confidence in that he is needed.

Working on his legs this time, not as much upper body. Hey, he's a leg shooter, so makes perfect sense.
To have this guy blow up this year when we have many viable options at the position, just makes the younger guys better.

I too am cautious here, but if he settles in...we're making another run at it as I really think we have a lot of givens in CJ, Grant, Keita etc.

We will almost certainly be a Sweet Sixteen team this year, worst case. Our D alone will carry us that far. How far we go after that depends on how certain pieces fall into place. Cooney delivering at SG will go a long way toward one of those pieces falling into place. In no particular order:

1) PG - will Ennis deliver at a NC-contending level? Big unknown, but all preliminary reports look good. We don't necessarily need an All-American performance, but he has to handle the pressure, play the D, keep the TO's down, and make FT's.
2) SG - will Cooney deliver at a NC-contending level? He showed the ability as a freshman to play D, handle the ball as a SG, and attack the rim. Can he shoot the 3 as hoped? I like his mechanics when he spots up in the flow. Off the dribble, not so much. We certainly have other options , but Cooney is the primary one.
3) Development of a go-to guy - most NC contenders need a guy to whom they can go on a clearout when the called play does not result in a good shot, and the clock is winding down. IMHO, CJ is perfect for the role with his ability to put the ball on the floor, break down his man, and draw contact in the lane. However, will the mild-mannered CJ show that killer instinct? I think he will, but it is easier said than done.
4) Development of a consistent inside game - who will step up? DC2, Rak, Jerami? Someone else? We need to do better here than last year, IMO. We have to be able to draw the double-team, and kick it out for the 3. Being able to put foul pressure on the opposing center, and take advantage of size mismatches is critical as well.

I honestly like our chances. Usually, when there are this many question marks, I lose some confidence. But I feel our answers to these questions are very good in every case - these are better than coin flips. There will doubtless be some bumps and inconsistency along the way, but JB knows that it is not December that counts, but March.

Gonna be a fun year to be Orange.

I don't necessarily think Cooney is ever going to be a night in and night out volume scorer, but he's definitely capable of lighting it up on any given night, I think.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong this year or next and he will be a consistent go to guy, though.

We will almost certainly be a Sweet Sixteen team this year, worst case. Our D alone will carry us that far. How far we go after that depends on how certain pieces fall into place. Cooney delivering at SG will go a long way toward one of those pieces falling into place. In no particular order:

1) PG - will Ennis deliver at a NC-contending level? Big unknown, but all preliminary reports look good. We don't necessarily need an All-American performance, but he has to handle the pressure, play the D, keep the TO's down, and make FT's.
2) SG - will Cooney deliver at a NC-contending level? He showed the ability as a freshman to play D, handle the ball as a SG, and attack the rim. Can he shoot the 3 as hoped? I like his mechanics when he spots up in the flow. Off the dribble, not so much. We certainly have other options , but Cooney is the primary one.
3) Development of a go-to guy - most NC contenders need a guy to whom they can go on a clearout when the called play does not result in a good shot, and the clock is winding down. IMHO, CJ is perfect for the role with his ability to put the ball on the floor, break down his man, and draw contact in the lane. However, will the mild-mannered CJ show that killer instinct? I think he will, but it is easier said than done.
4) Development of a consistent inside game - who will step up? DC2, Rak, Jerami? Someone else? We need to do better here than last year, IMO. We have to be able to draw the double-team, and kick it out for the 3. Being able to put foul pressure on the opposing center, and take advantage of size mismatches is critical as well.

I honestly like our chances. Usually, when there are this many question marks, I lose some confidence. But I feel our answers to these questions are very good in every case - these are better than coin flips. There will doubtless be some bumps and inconsistency along the way, but JB knows that it is not December that counts, but March.

Gonna be a fun year to be Orange.
I have no issue with the overall thrust of your post, but two quibbles:

1) I don't know if I'd say Cooney showed the ability as a freshman to attack the rim. I'm aware he had a few dunks, but he lived behind the 3 point line and chucked up shots. I don't agree that Cooney has showed the ability to attack the rim and I don't think attacking the rim will ever be a huge part of Cooney's game. Moreover, your question on SG focuses exclusively on Cooney, while I think Gbinije is more likely to be the solution there.

2) I disagree that CJ has demonstrated the ability to put the ball on the floor, break down his man, and get to the rim. His lack of handle is what prevented him from jumping to the NBA, and I hope (expect?) that CJ put in long hours this summer honing his handle and ability to break down his man one on one. Last year he was able to use his athletic ability and his left handedness to get by defenders. However, anyone who regularly sat on his left hand and forced him to make a move right severely limited his ability to get to the rim. If CJ is going to be the number 1 scoring option this season, he'll need to improve here (I'm optimistic he will).

Finally, call me paranoid, but I don't like things like "worst case scenario this is a sweet 16 team". Too many things can go wrong in a basketball season. If CJ or Ennis gets hurt, or Ennis starts slow, loses confidence and proves he isn't ready for 30+ minutes a game, then things can go south quickly. I have high hopes/expectations this year and reasonably think a lot of things will fall into place, but we simply won't know until the games are being played.

I expect Gbinje to be the starting SG based on the little bit that I've seen and heard. I hope that Cooney can become a serviceable back up.

I have no issue with the overall thrust of your post, but two quibbles:

1) I don't know if I'd say Cooney showed the ability as a freshman to attack the rim. I'm aware he had a few dunks, but he lived behind the 3 point line and chucked up shots. I don't agree that Cooney has showed the ability to attack the rim and I don't think attacking the rim will ever be a huge part of Cooney's game. Moreover, your question on SG focuses exclusively on Cooney, while I think Gbinije is more likely to be the solution there.

2) I disagree that CJ has demonstrated the ability to put the ball on the floor, break down his man, and get to the rim. His lack of handle is what prevented him from jumping to the NBA, and I hope (expect?) that CJ put in long hours this summer honing his handle and ability to break down his man one on one. Last year he was able to use his athletic ability and his left handedness to get by defenders. However, anyone who regularly sat on his left hand and forced him to make a move right severely limited his ability to get to the rim. If CJ is going to be the number 1 scoring option this season, he'll need to improve here (I'm optimistic he will).

Finally, call me paranoid, but I don't like things like "worst case scenario this is a sweet 16 team". Too many things can go wrong in a basketball season. If CJ or Ennis gets hurt, or Ennis starts slow, loses confidence and proves he isn't ready for 30+ minutes a game, then things can go south quickly. I have high hopes/expectations this year and reasonably think a lot of things will fall into place, but we simply won't know until the games are being played.

And I don't disagree with what you've said either. I realize Cooney didn't play a lot as a freshman, and scored even less. But I do remember a few instances where he filled a lane or broke free in the half-court and "showed the ability" (not necessarily with regularity) to take it to the rack. He had a few nice highlights like that, and I'm hoping we see a lot more of it, because for a college guard he is big and strong and quite athletic, and will get those opportunities if he is aggressive.

Re CJ, you are right in that in the open floor (NBA-style), he didn't handle the ball much if at all. A definite negative for the pro game. But in the half-court game, at the college level, he can put the ball on the floor, spin and beat his man head-and-shoulders, and have the upper-body strength to shoot through contact. And I agree, I'd like to see him improve his right hand moves in that scenario. He shoots free-throws well, so he could develop into an effective crunch-time scorer.

And, yes, it is possible we don't do well in the tourney if none of the points I originally mentioned comes to pass, or we get some untimely injuries. . But that is an unlikely parlay of bad things - odds are between our D and our depth and our coaching that we will be in a position to contend at year's end.

Of course, Kentucky could gel and turn the tourney into a battle to see who gets demolished by Kentucky in the final. It could happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom