Reading between the lines | Syracusefan.com

Reading between the lines

cuseguy

Living Legend
In Poliquin's column, Triche talks about who will need to step up in JS's absence. Maybe Triche doesn't know how long JS will be out. But I would think he does. JS knows the deal.

Out indefinitely.

Somewhere between "suspended for a game" and "out for the remainder of the season".

I believe when they interviewed Jeremi Grant after the game, he said something to the effect that they didn't learn until this morning or right before the game that JSIII was not going to play. I'm surprised whatever the issue is that it went right down to almost tip off.

Probably waiting for word on whether he's cleaned up his first semester work. If the work isn't done, or he has to repeat an exam, etc.., that would explain the uncertainty. Second semester's about to start, and if you can't start because your first semester work isn't done, you're not in good standing academically and are therefore ineligible. This is just one explanation. He could have failed a urine test and has to seek counseling, get retested, etc.. That could take time as well. But my guess is unfinished coursework.

Running through these scenarios is getting to be routine with this team.

I believe when they interviewed Jeremi Grant after the game, he said something to the effect that they didn't learn until this morning or right before the game that JSIII was not going to play. I'm surprised whatever the issue is that it went right down to almost tip off.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...erami_grant_has_a_c.html#incart_river_default

Jerami Grant learned Friday night that Syracuse University had declared James Southerland ineligible to play. Grant knew the determination meant he would see more minutes than the 11 he had averaged in Orange games thus far.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...erami_grant_has_a_c.html#incart_river_default

Jerami Grant learned Friday night that Syracuse University had declared James Southerland ineligible to play. Grant knew the determination meant he would see more minutes than the 11 he had averaged in Orange games thus far.
Thanks. I knew I wasn't exactly sure when he said he heard, but I knew it was within 24 hours of tip off. As the interview was on the radio, you could hear Jeremi's tone and it sounded as if he was shocked about it.

That made me think that maybe it is only something temporary. Maybe he was late turning something in and received an incomplete in a course and is just waiting for the professor to grade him. Hopefully that's what it is.

Thankfully we don't play again until Saturday.

Either this will be resolved quickly, or Grant will get plenty of practice reps.

Thankfully we don't play again until Saturday.

Either this will be resolved quickly, or Grant will get plenty of practice reps.
Grant looked good today. He doesn't make a lot of silly mistakes for a freshman playing his first extended minutes in a close conference game. He's gritty inside, and his arms remind me of Hak. Put some weight on him and he could be a force.

Probably waiting for word on whether he's cleaned up his first semester work. If the work isn't done, or he has to repeat an exam, etc.., that would explain the uncertainty. Second semester's about to start, and if you can't start because your first semester work isn't done, you're not in good standing academically and are therefore ineligible.
I think you nailed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom