Reading Calhoun press conf. story on ESPN | Syracusefan.com

Reading Calhoun press conf. story on ESPN

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8374089/kevin-ollie-happy-chance-lead-uconn-–-college-basketbal

It strikes me as pretty odd that Calhoun is going to continue to hang around in some sort of "Coach Emeritus" role, and that all these people are going to be evaluating Kevin Ollie throughout the season. The presser went out of its way to talk about Ollie's one-year audition, and that all these people will be evaluating him. And then they went out and got quotes from the 2 guys who would be front-runners to get the job - Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens.

Very weird story. I'll be shocked if Ollie is retained after this year. And how hard is it going to be to push Calhoun to the side? He sounds like he still intends to be very involved in the program. Seems to me that it's NOT the best way for a new coach to start out.

Yeah, when Calhoun started out as a head coach, would he have allowed a former coach to have input on a regular basis. Assuming the "input" is not sought, I would have to believe Calhoun would have knocked the former coach out and moved on.