Rebounding in 2012-2013 | Syracusefan.com

Rebounding in 2012-2013

armory

All American
Easily one of my biggest complaints about SU teams over the years has been the consistently underachievement in the rebounding department. I always chalk it up to being just an inherent side-effect of The Zone & the run-n-gun style, but it also has seemed like rebounding talent has never been a priority for recruiting... and yes, I believe absolutely that rebounding is a distinct talent. It is also heavily dependent on having that 'rebounding mentality' that separates players regardless of height, weight, or athleticism.

Last year was clearly one of "those years" where rebounding became a serious issue, it became like a virus that spread to change the dynamic of the entire game. Teams slowed games to a crawl, dared us to beat them in the half court, then bet that they could get enough 2nd chances to force us to chuck 3s to compensate. It largely worked despite the fact that we found ways to grind out a win, but it was clear that poor rebounding directly led to a slower half-court game which is certainly not this program's forte.

So on to 2012-2013, here's my take on where I see the state of our rebounding woes:

Lose:

Scoop - Non-factor, remained the outlet, rarely ever ventured inside the arc.

Dion - Small loss. Dion has excellent talent and could have been a huge boost in the rebounding department... but he was probably the best transition player in the country, and like Scoop he would rarely help out on the glass.

Joseph - Average loss. You won't find a bigger critic of KJo's unwillingness to attack the boards than me... he could leap out of the Dome for a dunk but would rarely budge a Nike to get a rebound. He had decent talent for rebounding but absolutely no 'rebounding mentality'. The hard truth is that the loss of KJo will be likely be addition by subtraction in the rebounding department.

Melo - Above average loss. His physical gifts are undeniable, and while he didn't have the greatest positioning or timing, he had an excellent rebounding mentality to go after the ball ... Melo's #1 problem was his crippling addiction to blocking shots. Nothing puts a defender more out of position for a rebound than trying to block the shot; back to basket, momentum away from the hoop, and no balance. While he was being lauded as a defender, I was in the minority that believe his missed attempts to block shots gave up more 2nd chance pts than his actual blocks were worth. Will miss that massive 7 feet of manchild eating up the paint, but can't say I will miss his rebounding all that much.

Gain:

Cooney - Negligible addition expected, especially considering PT is TBD. However, since TC is not in the mold of the transition-happy guards I expect him to stick around to help on the glass more than last year's guards... and he is a beefier more athletic kid than he gets credit for.

Grant - As with Cooney, the PT will be the biggest factor, though I picture Grant being timid to bang with the thicker, older bodies in the paint ... at least until he fills out his frame after a year or two. From what I've seen of him he plays a more skilled game for a forward, not relying on power. This could be bad news for rebounding, hopeful but skeptic.

Coleman - Here is where a lot of the hope lies in the rebounding department. DC2 is one of those rare big men that has "it" when looking for a rebounder. Otis Hill is a common and appropriate comparison. Great footwork, uses his big body well, and just has that knack for timing/positioning ... not to mention sticky hands. Another thing I like about him that I noticed during the McD's AA game was his discipline to not over commit away from the basket (I had to be the only fan watching specifically if he would overcommit). I cant stand it when players leave their feet to contest a shot at the same time as the shooter, doing so commits you to the shot as much as the opponent, so if it is a fake then it becomes an instant 5v4... Melo did this ALL the time. I don't see DC2 doing this, primarily because he is not a big shot blocker.

also...

Rak - Love his new frame, but still curious where he will play in the zone. If under center, then he will have the same issues as Melo since Rak is a fantastic shot blocker... if on a wing then that muscle will definitely help crashing into the paint. On the topic of over-committing, this was a big weakness for Rak last year, he needs to practice a better defensive habit of committing after the shooter, not with the shooter... but he will surely be improved in that department being more comfortable in the zone. The big ? for Rak IMO is to unleash his aggression. He looked too much like a freshman last year, yet he clearly has that competitive anger that you need to be a great rebounder, he just needs to harness & use it.

good post. yeah, SU will be a much better rebouding team this year. i agree about melo committing so much to blocking shots that he left himself out of position for a lot of rebounds - which isn't necessarily a bad thing when you're as good a shot blocker as Fab was - but leaving yourself out of position is still an unfortunate side effect of that. having Coleman instead of Melo, and having Roc and Baye a year older (not to mention Roc stronger) is definitley an upgrade rebounding-wise. and good point about Coleman not overcommitting. i think this is one reason you occassionally hear critics say Coleman plays too passive sometimes and they chalk it up to his conditioning, but i'm not sure they're right. i think a lot of that is Coleman being smart, holding his ground, watching for where the rebound will come down, as opposed to frantically challenging every shot whether you have a chance to block it or not. I think this is in part what makes him the best rebounder in his recruiting class.

for grant, i think he's going to be pretty raw this year and will be more of a project. i don't expect much from him beyond giving us a little energy and defense off the bench, getting between 5-10 mpg in non-key spots, mixed in with a lot of DNPs. He played well overall in the U18 games, but never got comfortable shooting too far from the basket.

overall i think our defense will be a little down from last year - losing the BE defensive POY will do that - but the improved rebounding will help minimize the effects of that, and this team will be a much more balanced club. in addition to being a better rebounding team (which was arguably our biggest weakness last year), Coleman could give us more inside scoring in the low post, and Cooney (along with a senior Triche and Southerland) will give us stronger outside shooting as well.

I agree but I would add that Fair is a pretty decent rebounder as well.

If you think back to 03 - Melo's rebounding was just as big as his scoring. While in games like the title game we got beat on the boards - we could just as much dominate all year in that category. Having Rak as the shot blocker, and DC2 as the snag it and get the outlet rolling there is a lot of potential here. The length all around will help off-set not having a dominate shot blocker while the girth of DC2 will provide a much bigger challenge for the weakside attackers. MCW and Triche should be able to help but even more -so they should be able to get out on the wing and push the tempo. Our offense should be much more pro style with the ability to feed the post and kick it out in transition when Cooney is in the game. I know we have to temper our excitement due to the youth of MCW, Trev and the new role for BT but this group is just oozing with talent. Outside of BT, your talking about a starting 5 of which 4 may play at the next level.

I agree but I would add that Fair is a pretty decent rebounder as well.
Definitely! A better than average rebounder because of his hops and perhaps more importantly, his court sense.

Easily one of my biggest complaints about SU teams over the years has been the consistently underachievement in the rebounding department. I always chalk it up to being just an inherent side-effect of The Zone & the run-n-gun style, but it also has seemed like rebounding talent has never been a priority for recruiting... and yes, I believe absolutely that rebounding is a distinct talent. It is also heavily dependent on having that 'rebounding mentality' that separates players regardless of height, weight, or athleticism.

Last year was clearly one of "those years" where rebounding became a serious issue, it became like a virus that spread to change the dynamic of the entire game. Teams slowed games to a crawl, dared us to beat them in the half court, then bet that they could get enough 2nd chances to force us to chuck 3s to compensate. It largely worked despite the fact that we found ways to grind out a win, but it was clear that poor rebounding directly led to a slower half-court game which is certainly not this program's forte.

So on to 2012-2013, here's my take on where I see the state of our rebounding woes:

Lose:

Scoop - Non-factor, remained the outlet, rarely ever ventured inside the arc.

Dion - Small loss. Dion has excellent talent and could have been a huge boost in the rebounding department... but he was probably the best transition player in the country, and like Scoop he would rarely help out on the glass.

Joseph - Average loss. You won't find a bigger critic of KJo's unwillingness to attack the boards than me... he could leap out of the Dome for a dunk but would rarely budge a Nike to get a rebound. He had decent talent for rebounding but absolutely no 'rebounding mentality'. The hard truth is that the loss of KJo will be likely be addition by subtraction in the rebounding department.

Melo - Above average loss. His physical gifts are undeniable, and while he didn't have the greatest positioning or timing, he had an excellent rebounding mentality to go after the ball ... Melo's #1 problem was his crippling addiction to blocking shots. Nothing puts a defender more out of position for a rebound than trying to block the shot; back to basket, momentum away from the hoop, and no balance. While he was being lauded as a defender, I was in the minority that believe his missed attempts to block shots gave up more 2nd chance pts than his actual blocks were worth. Will miss that massive 7 feet of manchild eating up the paint, but can't say I will miss his rebounding all that much.

Gain:

Cooney - Negligible addition expected, especially considering PT is TBD. However, since TC is not in the mold of the transition-happy guards I expect him to stick around to help on the glass more than last year's guards... and he is a beefier more athletic kid than he gets credit for.

Grant - As with Cooney, the PT will be the biggest factor, though I picture Grant being timid to bang with the thicker, older bodies in the paint ... at least until he fills out his frame after a year or two. From what I've seen of him he plays a more skilled game for a forward, not relying on power. This could be bad news for rebounding, hopeful but skeptic.

Coleman - Here is where a lot of the hope lies in the rebounding department. DC2 is one of those rare big men that has "it" when looking for a rebounder. Otis Hill is a common and appropriate comparison. Great footwork, uses his big body well, and just has that knack for timing/positioning ... not to mention sticky hands. Another thing I like about him that I noticed during the McD's AA game was his discipline to not over commit away from the basket (I had to be the only fan watching specifically if he would overcommit). I cant stand it when players leave their feet to contest a shot at the same time as the shooter, doing so commits you to the shot as much as the opponent, so if it is a fake then it becomes an instant 5v4... Melo did this ALL the time. I don't see DC2 doing this, primarily because he is not a big shot blocker.

also...

Rak - Love his new frame, but still curious where he will play in the zone. If under center, then he will have the same issues as Melo since Rak is a fantastic shot blocker... if on a wing then that muscle will definitely help crashing into the paint. On the topic of over-committing, this was a big weakness for Rak last year, he needs to practice a better defensive habit of committing after the shooter, not with the shooter... but he will surely be improved in that department being more comfortable in the zone. The big ? for Rak IMO is to unleash his aggression. He looked too much like a freshman last year, yet he clearly has that competitive anger that you need to be a great rebounder, he just needs to harness & use it.
if it works to 34-3 again, i can live with it.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

if it works to 34-3 again, i can live with it.
Yeah that's the hard part about making a post like this. The whole 'there is nothing to critique, we were 34-3' is an initial reaction... but during last season it wasn't hard at all & there was plenty wrong.

Yeah that's the hard part about making a post like this. The whole 'there is nothing to critique, we were 34-3' is an initial reaction... but during last season it wasn't hard at all & there was plenty wrong.
well, we aee Syracuse fans. It could be perfect skies, temperature and humidity, and we would bitch the daylight hours were too short.

well, we aee Syracuse fans. It could be perfect skies, temperature and humidity, and we would bitch the daylight hours were too short.

I agree that it's hard to complain about a season where you win over 30 games. Rebounding will be better this year due to DC2 replacing Melo. I also think more minutes for Carter-Williams will be better than Scope on long rebounds due to more quickness and arm length. All the other factors remain the same since we still have Fair was really our best rebounder last year. Generally I feel like teams that get out in transition aren't as good at rebounding and great rebounding teams don't normally score the transition points. When you have Kris Joseph and wings like that trying to get down the court fast they just can't stay in and rebound.

A different way to looks at it, rebounding-wise:

Carter-Williams < Scoop
Triche = Triche
Fair/South > Joseph
Christmas > Christmas
Coleman > Melo

We'll see how well Coleman does. But he's certainly a better natural rebounder than Melo was. Christmas is a good rebounder, he's expected to get exponentially more minutes, and he's said to have improved. Every forward we have rebounds better than Joseph. Triche is a good rebounder for a guard. Carter-Williams, haven't seen it.

But I expect and hope we'll be improved.

Carter-Williams < Scoop
Triche = Triche
Fair/South > Joseph
Christmas > Christmas
Coleman > Melo

We'll see how well Coleman does. But he's certainly a better natural rebounder than Melo was. Christmas is a good rebounder, he's expected to get exponentially more minutes, and he's said to have improved. Every forward we have rebounds better than Joseph. Triche is a good rebounder for a guard. Carter-Williams, haven't seen it.

Why do you assume that MCW is a lesser rebounder than Scoop. MCW had 38 rebounds last year in 269 minutes, Scoop had 87 rebounds in 934 minutes. MCW was actually rebounding at a greater rate than Scoop. Those 38 rebounds extrapolate out to 131 had he played Scoop's minutes.....I know, not a perfect analysis.

Why do you assume that MCW is a lesser rebounder than Scoop. MCW had 38 rebounds last year in 269 minutes, Scoop had 87 rebounds in 934 minutes. MCW was actually rebounding at a greater rate than Scoop. Those 38 rebounds extrapolate out to 131 had he played Scoop's minutes.....I know, not a perfect analysis.

I'm happy to be corrected on that. I recalled Scoop coming up with some important rebounds at times but didn't remember Mike doing the same (scientific method, eh?).

In seriousness, we probably can't expect a sophomore (young sophomore, at that, with limited game experience) to rebound as well as a capable fifth-year senior, but stranger things have happened. It wouldn't be shocking for the young guy to rebound better.

Plus, given his teammates, he probably won't have to. Really excited to see what this front line can do; Melo and Joseph were so far below average in terms of rebounding (I just sat through the Ohio State game again...if I never see our small forward volleyball a rebound out toward midcourt again it'll be too soon).

My prediction is that we'll be pretty good at offensive rebounding, and pretty bad at defensive rebounding but better than last year. And we'll force enough misses and turnovers to where we're really good defensively

also...

In our system, it's the forwards, not the center, who are usually the leading rebounder. The C is mostly charged with challenging the shooter and cutting off the baseline drive.

When we have 2 forwards who can rebound (e.g., Hak & Melo, Roberts & Nichols), then we tend to be effective defensive teams who clear our share of defensive boards. The center challenges, and the weakside F is usually in position to rebound.

Now, the problems with the zone really get exposed when we have an undersized guy at 1 forward (e.g. Josh Pace). In those instances - and as a general game plan - teams put 2 rebounders on the weak side of the formation to attack the offensive glass, giving them a 2 on 1 advantage, unless either (a) the weak side guard cheats down to help on the defensive board instead of leaking out for the fast break, or (b) the center is able to recover from his shot block attempt in time to turn and help on the defensive board, or else the C does not commit quite as hard to the block.

This year, I look at Fair and I think he will be fine on the boards - he got 5 last year, and can probably improve to 7 per game, which is about what we need from him. Christmas is also going to spend some time at F, simply because he has played there in the past, understands the rotations to the corner shooter, and is more agile than Coleman, since he weighs about 40 pounds less. Christmas also needs to give us Terrence Roberts type of numbers at PF this year - say 8 points and 6 rebounds or so, although I think he can do better on the boards than that.

Coleman, unlike some of our past centers, seems to have good rebounding instincts, and he won't be getting off the floor as much to challenge shots. It's just not his game. He's more like an Arinze / Rick Jackson type who mostly plays below the rim. I think he's also going to be good for at least 6 rebounds a game, even given the limitations and challenges placed on the C in our system.

I think we are going to be a very good rebounding team this year. The one issue will be if Southerland can do a decent job on the defensive boards when he's in there.

I think alot of times our centers don't get far enough out away from the basket to rebound.
Rak has a knack for that though.

some of u haven't a clue as to how good rakeem is. he's the class of the best big men in the country. dc is young but going to be a stud. now we're a zone team. but it doesn't get boeheim better than this. what team ever had a big replacement better than baye.

From what I've seen of DC's play, he reminds me most of Wes Unseld. If he even shows half that skill level in his first year, SU will be improved in rebounding over last year. Put a maturing MCW -- who had an excellent assit:turnover ratio as a non-starting rarely playing freshman -- in the driver's seat at point and the Orange will be off to the races. They've always had excellent transition players and finishers off the break, but those plays can't begin without a rebound and a crisp outlet pass. I think the DC-MCW duo will be a formidable weapon this year and Cuse will bust teams up like Gallagher busts watermelons. I can hardly wait.-VBOF

I'm happy to be corrected on that. I recalled Scoop coming up with some important rebounds at times but didn't remember Mike doing the same (scientific method, eh?).

In seriousness, we probably can't expect a sophomore (young sophomore, at that, with limited game experience) to rebound as well as a capable fifth-year senior, but stranger things have happened. It wouldn't be shocking for the young guy to rebound better.

Plus, given his teammates, he probably won't have to. Really excited to see what this front line can do; Melo and Joseph were so far below average in terms of rebounding (I just sat through the Ohio State game again...if I never see our small forward volleyball a rebound out toward midcourt again it'll be too soon).

MCW;s highschool coach said and I quote "He might be the best guard rebounder in the country." And he wasn't throwing him in with a handfull of others.
Im not to worried about it.

From what I've seen of DC's play, he reminds me most of Wes Unseld. If he even shows half that skill level in his first year, SU will be improved in rebounding over last year. Put a maturing MCW -- who had an excellent assit:turnover ratio as a non-starting rarely playing freshman -- in the driver's seat at point and the Orange will be off to the races. They've always had excellent transition players and finishers off the break, but those plays can't begin without a rebound and a crisp outlet pass. I think the DC-MCW duo will be a formidable weapon this year and Cuse will bust teams up like Gallagher busts watermelons. I can hardly wait.-VBOF

dc can really run the court and handle and pass. when he decides to get his body nba worthty, he'll be an nba all star

Yes, there is more than a little Wes Unseld in his game, right down to the body type. If Coleman's passing skills translate immediately, this will be a fun team to watch in transition.

Carter-Williams < Scoop
Triche = Triche
Fair/South > Joseph
Christmas > Christmas
Coleman > Melo

Those are interesting comparisons (I think MCW>Scoop), but regardless, I think what's creating more rebounds is the way Coleman and Rak have divided defensive responsibilities. On repeated occasions last night, when they were on the floor together, Rak went out to block the shot (at least 4 blocks) while Coleman stayed home to clean up the glass (14 boards).

Works like a charm, because Rak has serious hops and is very quick getting out on shooters ... even at the perimeter. And Coleman's like an anvil down low. Once he gets position ... it's over.

This is actually the converse of what I anticipated preseason -- I thought Coleman would front with his size and Rak would clean the glass. But it's happening the other way, and so far, pretty effectively. Rak can elevate and get in the shooter's face without worrying that he's giving up the glass. And Coleman, who's not physically suited to block shots, is perfectly happy to collect the misses.

I've also seen them run the H/L once a couple of times ... this is more of a WIP at this stage. But still, lots of good things percolating out there.

Those are interesting comparisons (I think MCW>Scoop), but regardless, I think what's creating more rebounds is the way Coleman and Rak have divided defensive responsibilities. On repeated occasions last night, when they were on the floor together, Rak went out to block the shot (at least 4 blocks) while Coleman stayed home to clean up the glass (14 boards).

Works like a charm, because Rak has serious hops and is very quick getting out on shooters ... even at the perimeter. And Coleman's like an anvil down low. Once he gets position ... it's over.

This is actually the converse of what I anticipated preseason -- I thought Coleman would front with his size and Rak would clean the glass. But it's happening the other way, and so far, pretty effectively. Rak can elevate and get in the shooter's face without worrying that he's giving up the glass. And Coleman, who's not physically suited to block shots, is perfectly happy to collect the misses.

I've also seen them run the H/L once a couple of times ... this is more of a WIP at this stage. But still, lots of good things percolating out there.

Update: Carter-Williams > Scoop. 2013 Triche > 2012 Triche, too. We're getting much better rebounding from our guards so far.

Would have thought we'd see a lot more of the high-low; Coleman's difficulty with the ball in his hands might make that less successful than we'd hoped, though.