Rebounding | Syracusefan.com

Rebounding

T

tee1222

This team is a way better rebounding team then last year's squad. I think we contested shots better in the lane last year, but too many times, this left the shot-blocker nowhere near the loose ball and for some reason, unlike this year, no one else was on the defensive glass to pick up for Fab's shot blocking. It was very frustrating to have all that good work left for naught when someone put the ball back on a 2nd try.

This year, not only do the guards do a better job, there's usually Fair/Rak/DC2/Keita to work the defensive glass. It must build confidence when there's a miss and we actually get the ball after the first shot.

From http://suathletics.syr.edu/cumestats.aspx?path=mbasket&year=2012&
Rebounds per game 42.0 33.8
Rebounding margin 8.2 (In Cuse' favor)

We were horrible and pretty sure, negative in rebounding margin last year.

something something 4 games something something

No no no it goes, "something something 4 games something something complete." Can't forget that "complete" at the end.

This team is a way better rebounding team then last year's squad. I think we contested shots better in the lane last year, but too many times, this left the shot-blocker nowhere near the loose ball and for some reason, unlike this year, no one else was on the defensive glass to pick up for Fab's shot blocking. It was very frustrating to have all that good work left for naught when someone put the ball back on a 2nd try.

This year, not only do the guards do a better job, there's usually Fair/Rak/DC2/Keita to work the defensive glass. It must build confidence when there's a miss and we actually get the ball after the first shot.

We are probably going to sacrifice some of our running game to rebound better this year.

Many of our most illustrious posters draw more conclusions on fewer games - why don't you give them the next time they post. Tee actually made a good point.

We are probably going to sacrifice some of our running game to rebound better this year.
Anyone else think we may also be more susceptible to fast breaks because of this? Triche is always crashing the offensive glass leaving only one guard back on defense. May have to sacrifice those boards to some extent when we play a team that likes to run...

I think that Kris wasn't interested in rebounding all the time. Fab was out of position often, Rak was a freshman and didn't play much, Baye struggled with his hands and our guards were leaking out. It was a bit of a trade off because when we did get the rebound we often turned them into easy buckets.

This year Rak is much improved and will play more. DC2 is a better rebounder than Fab or Baye. Southerland has improved his rebounding and our guards this year look to rebound. So even just 4 games in its obvious we will be a better rebounding team, but probably less runouts.

Last year verse Colgate we out rebounded them 39-35 and gave up 12 offensive boards. Today verse Colgate we out rebounded them 43-32 and gave up 7 offensive boards. For me the offensive boards is the only number I care about because those lead to extra and often easy shots. We were much better this year verse the same opponent. Looking at the boxscores the biggest difference is DC2 7 boards in 18 mins. Fab 3 boards in 17mins.

Edit: Kris had 1 board in 13 mins last year today CJ had 4 boards in 20 mins.

We've yet to play anyone who can rebound like a BE team yet so it's really hard to say. I agree that we SHOULD be better. Rak is doing a great job. I think James is really going to help. I'm guessing DaJuan has been told that he's a rebounder first and foremost. As another poster mentioned, the guards are hitting the boards- maybe they'll get out into transition if the bigs do their job- otherwise that'll be a sacrifice we make.

Dont worry about rebounding numbers. Rebound margin is the most useless stat in basketball. The only stat related to rebounding that means anything is second chance points.

If you look at last years team, they were terrible at rebounding the ball, but they were actually slightly better than average at second chance points. Why? Because even though they gave up more offensive boards than most teams, those boards rarely turned into points because Fab was there to block any put back attempts.

Add to this, the fact that instead of focusing on rebounding Syracuse focused on getting out in transition which accounted for almost half their points, and you see why rebounding was of little to no importance. The formula was, give up few second chance points, get major transition points in return. The formula was flawless, and one of the biggest reasons they only had one loss with Fab in the lineup despite being a mediocre offensive team.

This year's team is going to have to rebound better because they dont have a Fab Melo to block put back attempts, and they dont have a Dion who will score just about a hundred percent of the time he is in a one on one situation in transition. That does not mean they are in a better position in the rebounding/second chance points/transition points department than last year's team was. They are going to be significantly worse with everything accounted for. Hopefully they will make up for it by being superior offensively in the half court.

Last year verse Colgate we out rebounded them 39-35 and gave up 12 offensive boards. Today verse Colgate we out rebounded them 43-32 and gave up 7 offensive boards. For me the offensive boards is the only number I care about because those lead to extra and often easy shots. We were much better this year verse the same opponent. Looking at the boxscores the biggest difference is DC2 7 boards in 18 mins. Fab 3 boards in 17mins.

Edit: Kris had 1 board in 13 mins last year today CJ had 4 boards in 20 mins.

Seems like you are now supporting Tee's post. Can you explain your 'like' for garbs post?

If you look at last years team, they were terrible at rebounding the ball, but they were actually slightly better than average at second chance points. Why? Because even though they gave up more offensive boards than most teams, those boards rarely turned into points because Fab was there to block any put back attempts.

Add to this, the fact that instead of focusing on rebounding Syracuse focused on getting out in transition which accounted for almost half their points, and you see why rebounding was of little to no importance. The formula was, give up few second chance points, get major transition points in return. The formula was flawless, and one of the biggest reasons they only had one loss with Fab in the lineup despite being a mediocre offensive team.

I agree with a lot of what you say, especially about rebounding margin, but last year's team was really good offensively. 6th in the country in offensive efficiency. Mainly because of the lack of turnovers

Rebounding margin is overrated; though I would prefer not to finish 341st in the country in defensive rebounding% again.

Despite an attempt to demean the topic and the OP, this year's team is a better rebounding team. Yes, it’s apparent even after only 4 games. Sophomore Rak is better than Freshman Rak. Junior Keita is better than Sophomore Keita. Southy and Fair have always been much better rebounders than KJ. And, Coleman is a better rebounder than Fab. Too early to tell if MCW is consistently a better rebounder than Scoop but he’s off to a great start and there's no reason to believe that he won't be at least as good come mid-season or tournament time. It doesn't take 20 games to tell that this is a much better rebounding group than last year's. Whether or not there is a significant trade-off remains to be seen.

Despite an attempt to demean the topic and the OP, this year's team is a better rebounding team. Yes, it’s apparent even after only 4 games. Sophomore Rak is better than Freshman Rak. Junior Keita is better than Sophomore Keita. Southy and Fair have always been much better rebounders than KJ. And, Coleman is a better rebounder than Fab. Too early to tell if MCW is consistently a better rebounder than Scoop but he’s off to a great start and there's no reason to believe that he won't be at least as good come mid-season or tournament time. It doesn't take 20 games to tell that this is a much better rebounding group than last year's. Whether or not there is a significant trade-off remains to be seen.
I think your sarcasm meter is broken.

Anyone who took my post serious needs to step away from the internet.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I don't think that saying that we are a better rebounding team compared to last year's team is saying much at all, and I'm a huge rebound guy.

I too see a marked rebounding improvement, but also see many of the same rebounds as last year being left on the court that I expected to be corrected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom