Rebounding | Syracusefan.com

Rebounding

cuseguy

Living Legend
We're fifth nationally in offensive rebounding, 255th nationally in defensive rebounding.

I read that, and that's crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like this, lol. One has to think that some of those off rebounding numbers are due to how often we jack up shots. Frequently and short in the shot clock. We're going to get some of those. Defensive rebounding is a disaster.

We're fifth nationally in offensive rebounding, 255th nationally in defensive rebounding.

I read that, and that's crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow. Just wow. 255th

Absolutely a disaster and the primary reason we lose to teams that actually shoot just as badly (or worse) than we do...I believe we win the second Nova game and Marquette had we rebounded just a little bit better! It's almost like our Forwards don't want to get dirty rebounding...If not for our Guards, we'd be far worse...Completely unacceptable!

Hey, it's a massive improvement over last year, when we were 341st. This is the 11th year Ken Pom has tracked stats, our average ranking in defensive rebounding over the last 11 years is 263rd, so we're doing better than we normally do.

Hey, it's a massive improvement over last year, when we were 341st. This is the 11th year Ken Pom has tracked stats, our average ranking in defensive rebounding over the last 11 years is 263rd, so we're doing better than we normally do.

And it's actually not all that unexpected considering how our defense forces bad shots from deep that tend to bounce out into the areas just past the forwards and before the guards (especially when they are deep contesting shots).

And it's actually not all that unexpected considering how our defense forces bad shots from deep that tend to bounce out into the areas just past the forwards and before the guards (especially when they are deep contesting shots).

Yeah. We did ok in the non conference and early BE play and I was hopeful we'd be at least average this year, but nah.

I've said this a bunch of times before, but my favorite stat may be the fact that our best defensive rebounding team, by far, int he last 11 years, was the worst team we had, the 2008 team.

Is it the zone at both ends? Harder to rebound as a zone defender and teams now zoning cuse.

Absolutely a disaster and the primary reason we lose to teams that actually shoot just as badly (or worse) than we do...I believe we win the second Nova game and Marquette had we rebounded just a little bit better! It's almost like our Forwards don't want to get dirty rebounding...If not for our Guards, we'd be far worse...Completely unacceptable!

Yep. Maybe even Georgetown too. They wanted it more in the 2H going after key rebounds.

And oddly enough I bet stats would show that our transition game isn't nearly the same this year. Our guards leaked out constantly to try and start the fast break last year and the years before, but they are both more committed to rebounding now.

Our rebounding is directly correlated with the style of play SU has. On Defense it is very hard to get in position to rebound from the zone. You can't always get a body on an offensive player when the shot goes up because there might not be one near you at that time. Also you may have a smaller player boxing out a bigger player or vice versa because that is who is near you at that time.

Offensively a lot of teams play zone against us leaving the defense in the same predicament we are in on the defensive side. Also SU's guards tend to rebound pretty well because Boeheim recruits bigger guards which gives them a rebounding advantage when shots get chucked up.

As I see it SU has never been a great defensive rebounding team despite having some decent sized inside men.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom