Recap of Roselle Catholic TOC Final | Syracusefan.com

Recap of Roselle Catholic TOC Final

T

tee1222

Here's a play by play of Tyler Roberson, along with two of our prospects Malachi Richardson and Asante Gist.

1st half

Roberson
Can finish with both hands
Good handle for a big man, does bring up the ball at times
Boxes out well, controls defensive glass
Really positions himself well on the defensive glass, snagged a few tougher, longer rebounds b/c of this
Dribble penetrates and has the awareness to find teammates and get them easier looks
After defensive rebound, does well to outlet the ball or even brings it up himself
Unselfish, found open look for Richardson three
Causes turnover, double teaming a ball handler outside the arch
This will carry over well to the next level when trapping from the wing in 2-3
Does well on the offensive glass, gave his team extra opportunities
Almost hit a deep shot to end first quarter. Tough shot but was still on target
Clears out space, owns the paint going up against 7'1 and 6'9 players
Blocks 7 footer's shot to start a break, help side play, but really got up high and quick to deny the shot
Runs the floor well, two handed dunk on a break
Missed a three on an isolation play, but just rims out
Up one on one against Towns. 7 footer with a great drop step move but even better block by Roberson
Incredibly athletic play and great timing

Richardson
Hit a tough runner in the lane to start off
Does show some athletic ability, got up high, slapped the backboard to nearly block a shot
Great touch from outside, knocked down 5 three pointers
Doesn't use his legs, but not a set shot either. But would like to see him elevate more on his shot
Tremendous confidence in his stroke
Penetrates, draws the foul, soft touch gets roll on shots
Rushed a tough shot
Comes right back the very next play and hits another three
Drew a hard foul in the open court, getting to the line consistently by penetrating, opening up some room for his jumper
3/4 Fts at ths point
Took a really wild shot in the lane, off balance but had nowhere to go, just committed too soon
Hits an open three, two of the three that have gone in were all net

Gist
One of two ball handlers in the starting rotation
Pressures the ball handler well
Blew by his man going to his left, acrobatic reverse layup, great penetration
Undersized for a typical SU guard, but still only a freshman
Amazing speed, agility and his dribble has promise but could tighten up the handle. Still, prevented turnovers by recovering his dribble.
Does a good job denying his man when playing without the ball
Very confident for an underclassman
Hounded his man, primary ball handler, the entire game
Took a hard foul, pretty tough. Not a slight frame for a smaller player
Missed a layup over 7 footer, but excellent job penetrating on the left side again. Just goes right by defenders
Penetrates again, passes to Richardson for wide open three

2nd half

Roberson
Great job of boxing out again, controls defensive rebound
Challenged another shot that falls, but good effort
Contests another one, but guard with an incredible reverse layup to get by him
Hits a deep shot with his foot on the three point line
Probably a little further along with his outside shot than CJ at this point
Penetrates on a clear out, but misses toughly contested shot
Alters another shot
Then blocks guard's shot, 3rd block of the game but only given credit for 2 in original box
Brings up the ball, spin move draws the foul, hits both
Drains another deep two, very fluid, smooth shot for a big man with a very nice follow through
Goes up high for another defensive rebound
Has limited second chance points for the opposition
On an isolation play from outside the arch, penetrates passed 7 footer, shot challenged but still finishes the layin
Aggresive defensive rebound in traffic
Again, beats his man on dribble penetration and lays it in
He's a mismatch when a big man guards him on the perimeter, yet is a force inside the paint regardless of the competition
With that, gives his team a 10 point lead late in the game
Flies in the air to snatch another defensive rebound
Announcers mention that Tyler is the full package. Plays the 5 for the most part at RC, will look to be a 3 or 4 up at Syracuse but can do it all
Similar to his counterpart in the game, can put the ball on the floor, confidence in his shot and is a tremendous inside presence
You can tell a lot of effort has been put into perfecting his craft
This versatility is exactly inline with Cuse recruitment of forwards
Hits both FTs late in 4th quarter
The very next play, another two handed flush in the open court
Grabs another defensive rebound
Hits 1/2 Fts, second one rimming out
Offensive rebound, but misses, gets another offensive rebound and finishes
Controlled the glass against a bigger team
Another block, but looked like a phantom foul and a clean block
Still bringing the ball up the floor late in the game
Finished with 19 points, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks, 1 steal, 1 assist

Richardson
Misses on a short jumper
Bad turnover to fuel a break on the other end
In motion, swishes another from the top of the key, beyond the deeper, non high school line
When he gets into a rhythm, he can put up points in big chunks
Hits another three from the far side of the court
When other team got back to within 1 point, Malachi's two threes extend RC lead to 7 to close out 3rd quarter
4 of 5 made threes have not touched the rim
Traces down long rebound
Asists on Roberson field goal
Poor shot selection
Next play, blocks his man's shot
Hits both FTs late in the game
Collected 22 points with the hot hand and added 6 rebounds, 1 block, 1 assist

Gist
Penetrates, spins, lays it in.
Doesn't seem to favor either side while putting the ball on the floor, keeps defender guessing
Bad shot selection, front rims an unecessary three try
Good job of pushing the pace again, but takes another forced outside shot
Needs to mature a little with respect to playing within himself
Although not assigned to primary scoring guard, has shut his man down to this point
Gets into the lane at will with his dribble
Easy conversion by getting out on fast break
Definitely excels in the open court
Asists on another Richardson three
Called for travelling, but no call on a reach
Still, good job of taking care of the ball against tough on the ball defenders in St Joseph
Calmly hits 2/2 Fts late
Did a good job controlling the tempo when RC's other point guard Saintil went out early in the 3rd quarter with 4 fouls`
8 points and 4 assists

2nd half

Roberson
Great job of boxing out again, controls defensive rebound
Challenged another shot that falls, but good effort
Contests another one, but guard with an incredible reverse layup to get by him
Hits a deep shot with his foot on the three point line
Probably a little further along with his outside shot than CJ at this point
Penetrates on a clear out, but misses toughly contested shot
Alters another shot
Then blocks guard's shot, 3rd block of the game but only given credit for 2 in original box
Brings up the ball, spin move draws the foul, hits both
Drains another deep two, very fluid, smooth shot for a big man with a very nice follow through
Goes up high for another defensive rebound
Has limited second chance points for the opposition
On an isolation play from outside the arch, penetrates passed 7 footer, shot challenged but still finishes the layin
Aggresive defensive rebound in traffic
Again, beats his man on dribble penetration and lays it in
He's a mismatch when a big man guards him on the perimeter, yet is a force inside the paint regardless of the competition
With that, gives his team a 10 point lead late in the game
Flies in the air to snatch another defensive rebound
Announcers mention that Tyler is the full package. Plays the 5 for the most part at RC, will look to be a 3 or 4 up at Syracuse but can do it all
Similar to his counterpart in the game, can put the ball on the floor, confidence in his shot and is a tremendous inside presence
You can tell a lot of effort has been put into perfecting his craft
This versatility is exactly inline with Cuse recruitment of forwards
Hits both FTs late in 4th quarter
The very next play, another two handed flush in the open court
Grabs another defensive rebound
Hits 1/2 Fts, second one rimming out
Offensive rebound, but misses, gets another offensive rebound and finishes
Controlled the glass against a bigger team
Another block, but looked like a phantom foul and a clean block
Still bringing the ball up the floor late in the game
Finished with 19 points, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks, 1 steal, 1 assist

Richardson
Misses on a short jumper
Bad turnover to fuel a break on the other end
In motion, swishes another from the top of the key, beyond the deeper, non high school line
When he gets into a rhythm, he can put up points in big chunks
Hits another three from the far side of the court
When other team got back to within 1 point, Malachi's two threes extend RC lead to 7 to close out 3rd quarter
4 of 5 made threes have not touched the rim
Traces down long rebound
Asists on Roberson field goal
Poor shot selection
Next play, blocks his man's shot
Hits both FTs late in the game
Collected 22 points with the hot hand and added 6 rebounds, 1 block, 1 assist

Gist
Penetrates, spins, lays it in.
Doesn't seem to favor either side while putting the ball on the floor, keeps defender guessing
Bad shot selection, front rims an unecessary three try
Good job of pushing the pace again, but takes another forced outside shot
Needs to mature a little with respect to playing within himself
Although not assigned to primary scoring guard, has shut his man down to this point
Gets into the lane at will with his dribble
Easy conversion by getting out on fast break
Definitely excels in the open court
Asists on another Richardson three
Called for travelling, but no call on a reach
Still, good job of taking care of the ball against tough on the ball defenders in St Joseph
Calmly hits 2/2 Fts late
Did a good job controlling the tempo when RC's other point guard Saintil went out early in the 3rd quarter with 4 fouls`
8 points and 4 assists
Roberson is the next in line as the tall/long wing zone player for Jimmy. You got to love the strategy if you are an Orangeman fan.

why haven't we offered Richardson yet?
I'm only guessing that it's age-based and they probably want to see more versatility. Although SU has already offered Briscoe a class 0f 2015 SG, Isaiah seems to have more of a complete game at this point while Malachi is strictly known as a shooter. To me, Dion, Brandon, Rautins, even Devo have more intangibles. Almost all were or are combo guards. Again, I'm only trying to justify the reasoning as I do really like his game and I'll bet as he matures as an upperclassman his game will evolve.

Aside from that, I would have to defer to Francis on this one.
:)

I'm only guessing that it's age-based and they probably want to see more versatility. Although SU has already offered Briscoe a class 0f 2015 SG, Isaiah seems to have more of a complete game at this point while Malachi is strictly known as a shooter. To me, Dion, Brandon, Rautins, even Devo have more intangibles. Almost all were or are combo guards. Again, I'm only trying to justify the reasoning as I do really like his game and I'll bet as he matures as an upperclassman his game will evolve.

Aside from that, I would have to defer to Francis on this one.
:)
You pretty much summed it all up imo. We're "all in" for Briscoe when it comes to guards in 2015. Will be interesting if Malachi develops into a wing down the ling.

Thanks for the credit, brother and for making this place so very enjoyable for everyone!
Damn Tee you're racking up the "likes."

That's impressive!!!! For your hard work, I reward you with some...

Jennifer-Love-Hewitt-Shape-.jpg

Damn Tee you're racking up the "likes."

That's impressive!!!! For your hard work, I reward you with some...

Jennifer-Love-Hewitt-Shape-.jpg

First, you get the likes.
Then you get the power.
Then you get the JLH.

Guys. Is Roberson going to be better than Grant at some point? Grant has a nice ceiling no doubt but it seems this Roberson is a real player! Can't wait to see him in Orange!

Guys. Is Roberson going to be better than Grant at some point? Grant has a nice ceiling no doubt but it seems this Roberson is a real player! Can't wait to see him in Orange!
Tough call, but yeah, really pumped on Roberson too.
They actually have similar games, and now that Tyler has won on the big stage, I like his confidence coming in.
He might have stiff competition for minutes from day 1. I almost feel that it's a toss up, as Grant has shown sparks of greatness already on the college level.
I'm stumped. :)

Edit: Tyler did recently make a 7'1 Kentucky signee look like a chump, so slight nod to Tyler.
By the way, does anyone know the result of the Kentucky Robert Morris game in the NIT opening round? Please, if anyone knows, thanks in advance for the info.

Tough call, but yeah, really pumped on Roberson too.
They actually have similar games, and now that Tyler has won on the big stage, I like his confidence coming in.
He might have stiff competition for minutes from day 1. I almost feel that it's a toss up, as Grant has shown sparks of greatness already on the college level.
I'm stumped. :)

Edit: Tyler did recently make a 7'1 Kentucky signee look like a chump, so slight nod to Tyler.
By the way, does anyone know the result of the Kentucky Robert Morris game in the NIT opening round? Please, if anyone knows, thanks in advance for the info.

Robert Morris won. Good stuff. Thanks!

Have never seen Roberson play, but IMHO, Jerami Grant will be the next great wing for SU.
He has that intangible Grant DNA and will make a similar jump to his brother's at ND.
I really see him as being "up next".

Have never seen Roberson play, but IMHO, Jerami Grant will be the next great wing for SU.
He has that intangible Grant DNA and will make a similar jump to his brother's at ND.

Oh I agree as well. Just seems like this Roberson is the real deal. IMHO, I think both of these guys have more upside than Joseph/Fair which is obviously a very good thing.

Agree with this re: his potential, making the sophomore jump, etc.

But I think his future will be as a stretch 4 in our system instead of a wing. He'll be our best post up 4 since Hakim, IMO.

Yeah, I have to say, we haven't even seen the best of Grant yet, which is scary nice. :)

Roberson's HS coach says that he will some day be the first player taken in the NBA draft. He has the entire package.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom