Recapping last night | Syracusefan.com

Recapping last night

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Excellent performance across the board.

It was so nice to see us play at our level, and not get bogged into what the opponent wanted to do. We beat our opponent, and given the coach of that opponent, that was a very satisfying outcome. Given our past history it would have been easy for us to slip back into rock fight mode and be content to try and slug it out, and I'm thrilled that we didn't.

It was very encouraging to see both units come out strong and execute right away. This is one of the best stretches I think I've ever seen out of a Syracuse defense. While it was a disappointment that we couldn't punch it into the end zone on our first two drives, it was good to get Das Boot going again with some kicks that involved at least a little pressure. Usually when you kick 4 field goals and win by 30 the kicks don't matter so much, but in this case they did and hopefully this gets Krautman some confidence and gets him feeling right so we can put the troubles we've had with the field goal game behind us.

Very nice to see such a good punt return out of Desir. We really need to be able to pose at least some threat in the return game, and hopefully that gives future opponents something to think about and is also something we'll see more of as the season progresses. Also glad to see Shamarko with a pick. He's a beast in run support, but I've never felt he was exceptional in coverage - grabbing some interceptions this season is hopefully evidence of the strides he's made there, and hopefully positions him to fulfill his dream of being drafted.

Big games from Lemon and Smith. Sure looked like Smith made the most of the room he was given, and it was nice to see Lemon rack up so many YAC. Glad he eventually got a TD this season. Amazingly, Smith is still seeking his first TD on the year. It'll be nice for the big fella when he gets to punch one in. Weird game for Moore - pretty rare that he see a game where you score a TD and average .3 yards a carry, although I do remember Bettis having a game once where he scored 2 TDs and rushed for -1 yard or something like that.

Nice to see us get a backup QB in. I'm greedy I know but it would have been cool to see him at least attempt a pass. We only completed passes to 4 players and I'm eager to see Flemming and Hale grab their first balls. Yeah, you read that right.

In the preseason progs I had us at 3 and 4 right now, but anticipated us ending up 4 and 8. I hope that I'm wrong. The defense looks stout and we look to be running the type of offense that just needs to do the damn thing and not get in its own way. Very encouraging win that hopefully says more about where we're at than where UCONN is.

Edit: One thing I forgot to add. It's a minor achievement, but it's nice to notch a second Big East win and be over .500 in conference.

We need three more.

youre talking first balls at cuse right? im sure they've grabbed balls back in high school.

youre talking first balls at cuse right? im sure they've grabbed balls back in high school.
images

Excellent performance across the board.

It was so nice to see us play at our level, and not get bogged into what the opponent wanted to do. We beat our opponent, and given the coach of that opponent, that was a very satisfying outcome. Given our past history it would have been easy for us to slip back into rock fight mode and be content to try and slug it out, and I'm thrilled that we didn't.

It was very encouraging to see both units come out strong and execute right away. This is one of the best stretches I think I've ever seen out of a Syracuse defense. While it was a disappointment that we couldn't punch it into the end zone on our first two drives, it was good to get Das Boot going again with some kicks that involved at least a little pressure. Usually when you kick 4 field goals and win by 30 the kicks don't matter so much, but in this case they did and hopefully this gets Krautman some confidence and gets him feeling right so we can put the troubles we've had with the field goal game behind us.

Very nice to see such a good punt return out of Desir. We really need to be able to pose at least some threat in the return game, and hopefully that gives future opponents something to think about and is also something we'll see more of as the season progresses. Also glad to see Shamarko with a pick. He's a beast in run support, but I've never felt he was exceptional in coverage - grabbing some interceptions this season is hopefully evidence of the strides he's made there, and hopefully positions him to fulfill his dream of being drafted.

Big games from Lemon and Smith. Sure looked like Smith made the most of the room he was given, and it was nice to see Lemon rack up so many YAC. Glad he eventually got a TD this season. Amazingly, Smith is still seeking his first TD on the year. It'll be nice for the big fella when he gets to punch one in. Weird game for Moore - pretty rare that he see a game where you score a TD and average .3 yards a carry, although I do remember Bettis having a game once where he scored 2 TDs and rushed for -1 yard or something like that.

Nice to see us get a backup QB in. I'm greedy I know but it would have been cool to see him at least attempt a pass. We only completed passes to 4 players and I'm eager to see Flemming and Hale grab their first balls. Yeah, you read that right.

In the preseason progs I had us at 3 and 4 right now, but anticipated us ending up 4 and 8. I hope that I'm wrong. The defense looks stout and we look to be running the type of offense that just needs to do the damn thing and not get in its own way. Very encouraging win that hopefully says more about where we're at than where UCONN is.

Edit: One thing I forgot to add. It's a minor achievement, but it's nice to notch a second Big East win and be over .500 in conference.

We need three more.

I wish they would double the gunners on punt returns ... Whigham was getting violated like a parking meter and not giving Desir much time to catch and head up field ... each and every time it seems the gunners get there so quickly ... its almost like no one is blocking them.

Krautman=Das Boot?
Hadn't seen that one before.
I love it.

Krautman=Das Boot?
Hadn't seen that one before.
I love it.
I can't take credit for it. I saw someone else use it and thought it was pretty good.