Reffing in the UL vs Manhattan game | Syracusefan.com

Reffing in the UL vs Manhattan game

swish7

All Conference
I went to the NCSU vs SLU and UL vs Manhattan games. Anyone else watch this game?

I usually do not get emotional about how other teams do. However, I got so caught up in UL vs Manhattan I couldn't help but feel like I was watching Carl Krauser vs Syracuse. I am not sure how it came through on TV, but live, Louisville got away with murder.

Their intensity is impressive to watch. However, their leaning, bumping, and grabbing left a sour taste in my mouth. Just what is a foul? The inconsistent reffing from one team's style to another simply has to be cleaned up. At one point M had 10 FT attempts to UL's 22, despite the fact UL was all over Manhattan. When Manhattan returned the favor, the call was a ticky tack on them. At points, the whole Amway Center in Orlando was groaning in disbelief. There was one call with Montrez Harrell where he grabbed and tossed a Manhattan guy around 3 times, and the foul was not called until the 3rd time.

Despite this, and their incredibly early sloppy turnovers, Manhattan went toe-to-toe with Louisville. They must have had 3 unforced errors in the first 10 minutes alone. If they turn the ball over maybe 1 fewer time, the game could have been theirs. Fighting fire with fire is an interesting strategy. They returned UL's defensive pressure. On offense, they used about 10 players and had at least 4 ball handlers on the court at all times.

SLU vs NCSU was awesome! The SLU coach was down and out, down by about 12 points with 2:30 left. From that point forward, SLU fouled literally every time NCSU touched the ball. No wonder I didn't get home until 1:30! It was 1 point to 2 points for the next 30 minutes of a 2:30 game. A severe out-coachment. Great stuff.

Louisville game was brutal to watch...

NCSt did what NCSt does. Horrible last 5 minutes. I think 5 games in about 8 days caught up with them.

there was a point in the 2nd half where i just started laughing cause literally every louisville possession was a manhattan foul, it was unbelievable.

biggest play of that game was when manhattan was up 3 with the ball with under 4 minutes left. just a god awful entry pass to the post that went out of bounds. i knew right there louisville was gonna win, that was manhattan''s chance to win and they didnt even get a shot off, just a lazy pass.

Gottfried made a mistake when Warren fouled out but I don't know how much he got out coached. His team and star player just couldn't make free throws. I still cannot believe they lost that game.

Manhattan let UofL off the hook. One bad pass against the press turns into the Luke Hancock show. Very disappointing. Manhattan deserved that game. Oh well, such is life in March.

Gottfried got severely out coached. Didn't make a single adjustment

That's what the Cards do. Foul every possession and dare the refs to call them on it.

the officiating in the L/M game was brutal and downright embarassing.

Yeah, I felt like it came through on TV (to answer Swish's question). When we're not involved in the game I don't care that UL gets away with murder, but it has to go both ways and last night it didn't seem to. UL would be pressing, someone would turn the corner on them, and UL would ride their hip till contact breaks. The same thing would happen on the other end, they would blow the whistle. Odd.

I'm never sure why they get away with so much when they're calling it sporadically against the other side. It also seemed like they were calling the game much tighter underneath against Manhattan, but CBS did a job with replays so it's hard to know for sure.

the officiating in the L/M game was brutal and downright embarassing.

Agree. I was (ineffectually) furious. The Manhattan players and coach handled themselves surprisingly well.

That's what the Cards do. Foul every possession and dare the refs to call them on it.
Give me a break. Tired of the same ole talk about this. The refs call the game as they call it. There's bad calls both ways. Louisville plays aggressive defense in man to man. That's what a team should do. The refs then call what they call. That game last night was a little rough to watch in the 2nd half with all the fouls both ways. UofL almost lost because of poor shooting (sound familiar), which they fixed at the end.

same thing happened last year, that's how UL won the title. Everyone knew they'd hack and grab their way through the tourney and they did

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom