Regarding Nerlens | Syracusefan.com

Regarding Nerlens

Reilly35

Starter
So Calipari says that Nerlens has insurance and therefore would have been fine if this was worse. So my questions are what is the premium on this type of insurance and who paid for it?? Is this something that has to be disclosed to the NCAA? Probably World Wide Wes covered the premium.

So Calipari says that Nerlens has insurance and therefore would have been fine if this was worse. So my questions are what is the premium on this type of insurance and who paid for it?? Is this something that has to be disclosed to the NCAA? Probably World Wide Wes covered the premium.

Totally within the rules has been for 10+ years now

geico.jpeg

If you are a bonafide NBA prospect, probably only payable once you enter NBA -- and probably some security is needed up front.

Totally within the rules has been for 10+ years now
I know it is within the rules. But to be paid by a booster or an agent? Does it need to be disclosed to NCAA so it isn't a violation? If not does the NCAA then say "so where did you get the money to pay for the premium?" kind of like "how did you pay to get to those workouts in Cleveland Mr. Kabongo?"

a bunch of top prospects have done this. didn't melo do this, or warrick?

I believe the ncaa actually pays it.

You are correct sir the NCAA provides the insurance based on their evaluation of your pro potential in order to keep kids playing in college without having to worry about loss of future earnings.

Pretty sure they are through Lloyds of London

Yes Lloyds is the underwriter NCAA provides. I don't think you an I are at odds on this just underwriter and provider are two different entities in the insurance process

I would love to read the exclusions on that policy! $20 says ACL's are excluded let's see where/when he is drafted.

I would love to read the exclusions on that policy! $20 says ACL's are excluded let's see where/when he is drafted.

Why would an ACL injury be excluded? The policy is meant to protect against career ending injuries that occur due to athletic related competition while in college. I doubt it covers snowmobiling and motorcycle injuries and the like, but I'd be surprised if any relevant injury was excluded. Illnesses, though, might be treated different.

I think the bugaboo is that it only pays out in the case of a "career ending" injury, and that the definition of a career ending injury is that you can never play again. It doesn't pay out if there is a career altering injury, so even if Noel comes back and is never the same there is no payout. Or at least it will be difficult for him to get the full payout.

Edit: Here is a good article on them:
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/08/are_you_in_good_hands.html

Why would an ACL injury be excluded? The policy is meant to protect against career ending injuries that occur due to athletic related competition while in college. I doubt it covers snowmobiling and motorcycle injuries and the like, but I'd be surprised if any relevant injury was excluded. Illnesses, though, might be treated different.

Because most policies exclude the most common event and force you to pay a premium for it. For example homeowners insurance doesn't cover floods...

I think the bugaboo is that it only pays out in the case of a "career ending" injury, and that the definition of a career ending injury is that you can never play again. It doesn't pay out if there is a career altering injury, so even if Noel comes back and is never the same there is no payout. Or at least it will be difficult for him to get the full payout.

Edit: Here is a good article on them:
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/08/are_you_in_good_hands.html
So a hundred policies a year for 20+ years and a "hand full of pay outs" over that time so lets do the math 20,000 to 30,000 a year plus 1.5% (cost of the policy) averages to be 25,375 x 100 players per year equals 2,537,500.00 per year x 20 years is 50,750,000.....yeah no money being made here!

What would have happened if this had happened in high school - which it certainly could have. Who would everyone blame? Or should kids be allowed to go pro at 16 , quit high school (many only attend high school too so they can go to college so they can hopefully go to the NBA). Sorry about Noel's injury, sad and painful when it happens to anyone. It happens all the time to people whose lives are derailed in one way or another as a result though. Kids lose the chance for college scholarships, kids have to drop out of school, some people lose their ability to earn a living for their family.

You are correct sir the NCAA provides the insurance based on their evaluation of your pro potential in order to keep kids playing in college without having to worry about loss of future earnings.
And the surgery? Dr James Andrews couldn't come at the same rate as the UK employee HMO option, so I'm wondering if the NCAA might be interested in who's paying for the kids reconstruction, and look poorly on a booster being involved.

one thing i've not heard mentioned about the play in which nerlens got hurt...

THAT WAS ONE A HELL OF A BLOCK!

What would have happened if this had happened in high school - which it certainly could have. Who would everyone blame? Or should kids be allowed to go pro at 16 , quit high school (many only attend high school too so they can go to college so they can hopefully go to the NBA). Sorry about Noel's injury, sad and painful when it happens to anyone. It happens all the time to people whose lives are derailed in one way or another as a result though. Kids lose the chance for college scholarships, kids have to drop out of school, some people lose their ability to earn a living for their family.

If high schools were making the 100s of millions of dollars that colleges are making off of these kids then the kids should be paid. It's not an age argument it's a money argument! Before colleges were making millions and millions off of athletics a scholarship was a fair deal, but now when 20 million TV deals get laughed at openly on internet forums a scholarship is not a fair deal it highway robbery!

So a hundred policies a year for 20+ years and a "hand full of pay outs" over that time so lets do the math 20,000 to 30,000 a year plus 1.5% (cost of the policy) averages to be 25,375 x 100 players per year equals 2,537,500.00 per year x 20 years is 50,750,000.....yeah no money being made here!

I interpret it to mean that, at today's rates, they are basically lending money at 4.75%, which is a notable discount to the rates charged by private companies.

I initially thought that the NCAA actually had a fund to pay for these services, as opposed to offering it as a loan. I suppose that could pose some legal issues in terms of deciding who actually qualified.

I interpret it to mean that, at today's rates, they are basically lending money at 4.75%, which is a notable discount to the rates charged by private companies.

I initially thought that the NCAA actually had a fund to pay for these services, as opposed to offering it as a loan. I suppose that could pose some legal issues in terms of deciding who actually qualified.

I agree but when you have a 0% default rate since only guaranteed prospects qualify you say you are not making money but you are, and since the schools are benefiting from these kids not going pro, why shouldn't the school pick up the bill? It should be included in the scholarship, instead of letting kids go pro we are letting them go in debt. That's great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom