Remember early in the season... | Syracusefan.com

Remember early in the season...

jec1521

2nd String
...when Gillon couldnt finish around the rim to save his life? What has changed? More comfortable? More confidence? Has he gotten better?

Either way, I didn't think a 5th year graduate transfer could improve this much throughout a season. He's directly responsible for most of our biggest wins.

Go Cuse

...when Gillon couldnt finish around the rim to save his life? What has changed? More comfortable? More confidence? Has he gotten better?

Either way, I didn't think a 5th year graduate transfer could improve this much throughout a season. He's directly responsible for most of our biggest wins.

Go Cuse
He was great finishing at the rim last night, but he's still generally not very efficient there, and doesn't seem to get many calls there from the officials. His three point shooting has improved tremendously over the second half of the conference schedule.

He seems to have more control over his body and is shading away from the defender with his off hand. He still scares me every time he goes to the hole.

I think he's still an inconsistent finisher, but when he's done it better in games, it is due to a couple of factors IMO:
  1. He's more assertive with his dribble, and gets into the lane purposefully which puts him in better position to take / make a shot
  2. He isn't fading away, trying to avoid contact [which lends itself to the shot being blocked]
  3. Teams defend him differently, giving him more room to drive
  4. The opposition over-commits to take our three point looks away, which opens up more room for him to drive

Last edited:
The nice thing is, he never scares me when he goes to the foul line. Been awhile since Cuse fans could say that.-VBOF

yes. Senior year Cooney regressed to the point where G was the best FT shooter

We're at 78.8% from the line in acc play. Nearly 80%!!

Against NC State, Gillon hit all the 3's, also team was 21-23 from the line. NC State, 11-20.

Clemson game; that was pretty close. We were 14-17 (Clemson shot the same)

UVA game, not exactly all the way down to the end, but we won by 4, only shot 13-20 in that game.

Last night, 22-25.

Go Cuse

not much. More body control and actually looking to score instead of trying to draw contact.

Still inconsistent. Last night doesn't change that. And yes, I still don't agree with forcing him to drive a lot of the game. Relying on something that has shown to have a low success rate (overall), isn't imo, the best strategy. Last night it worked, for sure.

He is anticipating and finding body contact much better, imo. It seemed like earlier in the season he was trying to get the ball on the glass as quick as possible and avoid contact. He's learning what an asset he is at the free throw line, seeking contact, and doing a better job of protecting the ball so he can finish through contact now. Or, at least, that's what he was doing in the Duke game last night.

not much. More body control and actually looking to score instead of trying to draw contact.

Still inconsistent. Last night doesn't change that. And yes, I still don't agree with forcing him to drive a lot of the game. Relying on something that has shown to have a low success rate (overall), isn't imo, the best strategy. Last night it worked, for sure.

Yeah, last night was great. Gillon was also 5-21 with ten TO the last 2 games.

he couldn't finish against Ga Tech earlier this week. the difference is the Duke defense, who had no one who could stay in front of him and no rim protection after that. The Duke forwards did an excellent job shutting down White and Lydon, but their guards were helpless against the athleticism of Gillon & Battle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom