Remember Mike Sweetney? | Syracusefan.com

Remember Mike Sweetney?

Great story. Glad he overcame the devastation that depression can be.

The money quote:

“I’ve become a mentor to a lot of people. Now, I’m changing lives and saving lives. It’s awesome. It’s overwhelming. I never would’ve thought the worst point in my life would turn into one of my best points.”

Awesome.

we could do worse for a big man coach

My first game ever was Georgetown at Cuse 2002-03. He was a heck of a player.

If I remember correctly that game went to OT and Carl Eilenberg announced "just like the good ole days!"

If I remember correctly that game went to OT and Carl Eilenberg announced "just like the good ole days!"
It was a good game, I believe a 89-83 victory. I have been hooked on Cuse sports since. I was 10 years old, and all I can truly remember was walking in and being amazed at how big the place was and how bright the court was compared to TV.

Edit- just checked it was a 93-84 victory, in OT.

Happy Chanuka!

The original zone buster, he and Ryan Humphries from ND were good for 20/20 every friggin game. Sweetney had great hands and footwork that made him such an effective big man. Same qualities that made Otis Hill, Arinze and Ricky great big men, my kingdom for another.

It was a good game, I believe a 89-83 victory. I have been hooked on Cuse sports since. I was 10 years old, and all I can truly remember was walking in and being amazed at how big the place was and how bright the court was compared to TV.

Edit- just checked it was a 93-84 victory, in OT.

Not to be that guy but we won in regulation 88-80 in the Dome. We won in OT in DC where we were trailing practically the whole game and then gmac went off in OT.

Not to be that guy but we won in regulation 88-80 in the Dome. We won in OT in DC where we were trailing practically the whole game and then gmac went off in OT.

Yep you’re right it was Haks senior year in 2005 that I was thinking of.

You are correct, I looked up the score and saw the game at Georgetown.

We whomped the Hoyas 3 times that year. But UConn handled us twice. We were fortunate that Texas beat the Huskies in the regional finals, or we would have faced them again in the FF semis. Calhoun was able to stifle GMAC almost every game his whole 4 seasons.

And the GTown game in DC was one of my favorites of all time. Tremendous comeback.

i remember him as a CUSE killer inside. i looked up some old boxscores . (he put up 32 and 13 and 31 and 19 in losses!) also could feed out of the high post . i also found this gem post game 2001 after a SU loss.
“We didn’t make shots. Game [over],” Syracuse Head Coach Jim Boeheim said.

where have i heard that before ?

Last edited: