Replacement team for Maryland? | Syracusefan.com

Replacement team for Maryland?

Flacusian

All Conference
With Maryland's departure from the ACC it makes it numerically necessary to find another school to take their spot. With the ever increasing decay of the Big East it wouldn't surprise me to see the spot taken by a Big East team. Uconn or Louisville are likely prime candidates.

Of the two who would you rather see take Maryland's' spot. I would like to see Louisville based on the desire for pure schadenfreude towards Uconn... Thoughts?

This isn't really a basketball issue. 15, 14 or 13 teams in a basketball conference all work fine. No need to add a team for basketball's sake. It's a much bigger issue for football (scheduling wise) and to some extent lax.

There are plenty of threads discussing this subject on the football side.

With Maryland's departure from the ACC it makes it numerically necessary to find another school to take their spot. With the ever increasing decay of the Big East it wouldn't surprise me to see the spot taken by a Big East team. Uconn or Louisville are likely prime candidates.

Of the two who would you rather see take Maryland's' spot. I would like to see Louisville based on the desire for pure schadenfreude towards Uconn... Thoughts?

At the moment at least, Louisville has both a better football AND a better basketball program than UConn. Just sayin'.

It isn't about adding a team to replace Maryland, definitely not a numbers game. It is about adding a football program that will do more than Maryland could do to help keep Florida State, Clemson, Va Tech or UNC happy.

Uconn doesn't do that and I don't think Louisville does either.

I think there are just a couple of things that prevent the ultimate demise of the ACC:

1. Notre Dame joins for football
2. ESPN steps up and makes a decision to invest in the ACC product as a strategic move having less to do with current value and more to do with long term strategic interests.
3. The ACC somehow picks off a football program that noone sees as a likely candidate at the moment...... a Texas, PSU or someone like that.

It isn't about adding a team to replace Maryland, definitely not a numbers game. It is about adding a football program that will do more than Maryland could do to help keep Florida State, Clemson, Va Tech or UNC happy.

Uconn doesn't do that and I don't think Louisville does either.

I think there are just a couple of things that prevent the ultimate demise of the ACC:

1. Notre Dame joins for football
2. ESPN steps up and makes a decision to invest in the ACC product as a strategic move having less to do with current value and more to do with long term strategic interests.
3. The ACC somehow picks off a football program that noone sees as a likely candidate at the moment...... a Texas, PSU or someone like that.
Good thinking...and pt.2 certainly should be discussed as right now it appears that Fox, Yes, and BTN are making significant inroads into the east coast for the future...ESPN needs to react and reload the ACC...I fully expect that to happen.

Good thinking...and pt.2 certainly should be discussed as right now it appears that Fox, Yes, and BTN are making significant inroads into the east coast for the future...ESPN needs to react and reload the ACC...I fully expect that to happen.
Since this is all about money it makes complete sense, hope you are right.

Wonder if we could ever have a shot at UK?? SEC and the ACC are almost even money wise.
Grabbing them would give the ACC Duke, UNC and UK. Syracuse and UK would be the biggest attendence schools in the nation.

Wonder if we could ever have a shot at UK?? SEC and the ACC are almost even money wise.
Grabbing them would give the ACC Duke, UNC and UK. Syracuse and UK would be the biggest attendence schools in the nation.

This has very little to do with basketball. I don't think UK helps the ACC with its FSU, Clemson, VA Tech and/or UNC problems.

Not even close between the SEC and the ACC. SEC is numero uno. Big Whatever is number 2 and the Pac 10 is number 3. ACC is about equal to the Big 12. Big East is far behind the ACC.

The name of the game is to keep FSU, Clemson and Va Tech happy. Any of them leave and it spells disaster. Remember, who drives the bus.

I was always jealous of the fact that Duke and UNC had a conference schedule filled with "decent" competition. The conference always consisted of #1 or #2 Duke/UNC and one other school each year (ie. wake, maryland, FSU etc.). The rest of the schedule was filled with "decent" teams. In the BE you are forced to run the gauntlet of 8ish very good teams, a few decent teams and a couple soft teams (rutgers, depaul, providence, usf)
Come tourney time the qualifiers for the tourney are beaten up.
I was excited to head to the ACC w/ UNC,Duke and Pitt as our only headaches. Now enter ND and possibly Lville. The very scenario I was hoping to get away from is following us. Oh well... at least we are used to it.