Report: Big East schools may vote to dissolve league | Syracusefan.com

Report: Big East schools may vote to dissolve league

If this happens, the basketball schools should figure out some way to keep the Big East name. Lots of basketball tradition over 30 years in that League. It would be sad to lose it. On the other hand, there's not much much football tradition with all the newbies entering next year.

Cto please tell me our board is on top of this. We have a lame duck president. Scary times

Cto please tell me our board is on top of this. We have a lame duck president. Scary times
Nancy is not a "lame duck" president. She will be 100 percent on top of everything until the day she leaves; it is just her nature. Also, we have far from a "lame duck" athletic director. Both Nancy and Daryl remind me of "the energizer bunny." They are always on top of things and involved.

Parochial League: St Johns,Georgetown,Depaul,Villanova,Providence ask St Joes if they want to belong.

Now that the ice is broken with ND, and MD is gone, it is conceivable that GT could become a basketball member of the ACC. Markets rule. Rivalries and history carry no weight.

if the league dissolves do we still have to pay the early exit fee?

hmmm...maybe then they could put the 5MM into replacing the bleachers with stadium seating.

if the league dissolves do we still have to pay the early exit fee?

seeing as though the league is dissolving because of teams like us leaving...umm. yes

I don't know why the hoops-onlies would want to dissolve the league. They'd give up auto-qualifier status and potentially lose tournament credits.

If I was in charge of the hoops-onlies I'd let the existing football programs leave without a fee and possibly let them keep their credits. I'd have the hoops-onlies retain the credits from WVU, Pitt, SU & ND and split the exit fees from those 4 among the remaining schools (that would exclude SU, Pitt, ND and Temple). I'd let the outgoing members stay until the current TV contract ends.

This way they get to keep the name, or change it, without being penalized.

I've argued for some time now that the Big East should return to be being what it once was: a basketball conference, only for the top northeastern basketball-only schools. Don't turn it into some bloated mess with schools all voer the map. They aren't going to retain their BCS standing, anyway.

Now that the ice is broken with ND, and MD is gone, it is conceivable that GT could become a basketball member of the ACC. Markets rule. Rivalries and history carry no weight.
Not gonna happen. ACC is likely not going to replace a major football member with, essentially, an only basketball school. As I keep reminding people it's football and money driving this bus...nothing more and nothing less.

Leave out DePaul and Marquette and include St. Bona, Niagara and Canisus and you hve a real nice North East Catholic league.

it's football and money driving this bus...nothing more and nothing less.
I wish you were wrong, but you're right. it's the sad reality.

If this happens, the basketball schools should figure out some way to keep the Big East name. Lots of basketball tradition over 30 years in that League. It would be sad to lose it. On the other hand, there's not much much football tradition with all the newbies entering next year.

I'd prefer they didn't, just so the Garden became unencumbered in March. The ACC tournament could then put MSG into a rotation.

Not gonna happen. ACC is likely not going to replace a major football member with, essentially, an only basketball school. As I keep reminding people it's football and money driving this bus...nothing more and nothing less.
Yeah, probably not. Here is what I'm thinking. The 3 football schools have to be satisfied and the only way to satisfy them is Louisville. Louisville is unacceptable to everyone else. A compromise might be to bring in the Ville, and Georgetown which would borth soothe the egos and gain the DC market now that Baltimore is lost. Ucon would be left out in the cold eventhough Boston is no longer opposed to them. Their football is not appealing and their market is small.

This article summary is from the UCon board:

But that aside, there was an interesting article in the Waterbury Republican-American this morning by Ed Daigneault(the local Horde guy) evaluating UConn and the ACC. Despite the fact that I have a print subscription, their website (which I "should" have unlimited access to) is a pain in the a**. So I will give you the gist of it.

(1.)UConn, according to his sources in the ACC, is the clear frontrunner although
Louisville has gained ground.
(2.)Florida State,Clemson and Georgia Tech have voiced their opposition to UConn based
on our football program, in their opinion, doing nothing to improve the quality of
football in the ACC.
(3.)No decision is likely until after the ACC university presidents meet on December 1st.
(4.)An ACC source said that the league is considering the possibility of inviting
UConn,Louisville and either Cincinnati or South Florida if Florida State and Clemson
leave. But that is far down the list of contingency plans.

IMO Cincinnati and S Fl will not be invited. Their football is not enough to compensate for their sad adademics. Now that ND broke the ice, maybe Georgetown as a pckg deal with the Ville? I would not bet on it but stranger things have happened in this brave new world.

It makes sense to me to dissolve the Big East from the basketball only perspective. Right now the basketball only schools are getting a percentage of what the basketball/football members are getting.

I bet that if the basketball only teams dropped the football teams and made a conference that looked something like: Georgetown, Villanova, St. Johns, Xavier, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, St. Joe's. They would make as much if not more money than they are making right now while only having to align themselves with other basketball only teams who make sense geographically.

What good is it doing St. John's right now to have to play South Florida in every sport (even the non revenue sports)? They can cut their travel budget, gain some semblance of stability, and in my best guess not lose any money by separating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom