Report from The RAC... | Syracusefan.com

Report from The RAC...

PeteCalvin

Hall of Fame
Orange Nation was definitely in the house!!!

Not sure what it looked or sounded like on TV, but I would say we had at least 40% of the seats were Orange. My section was easily 90%. The RU fans that sat behind me were impressed by the Orange turnout. The only advantage the home crowd had over us in terms of noise was the student section and the band. Take those two out of the building, and it would have been 50 - 50 in the decibel department.

I could tell the turnout was going to be big based on the Orange we saw in the parking lot 90 minutes before tip. There were far more pockets of Orange tailgaters than Scarlet.

This was my first time at the RAC. Really not a bad seat in the house, but on the outside it looked like something out of the novel 1984. It looks like a big, grey trapezoid from the parking area. Some people we were with likened it to a communist tomb from the former Soviet Bloc with all the little red flags hanging down. We expected to see Lenin's corpse on display inside. I know the Carrier Dome isn't an architectural beauty, but it has far more visual appeal than this place.

The RU fans we encountered were relatively quiet, but seemed rather annoyed with the number of Orange shirts converging on the building. I was rather annoyed with the size of the hot dogs they served. They charged more than the Dome does for a dog, and they were about half the girth. In addition, their portion sizes on the nachos left much to be desired. Guess I should have eaten before going in. Oh well, you live and you learn.

The first loud LGO chant hit the air when the team came out for their pre-game warm-up. The RU kids were waiting in the tunnel as the cheerleaders assembled. I wonder what they were thinking when they heard the chant? It had to sound like an away game for them. Our team's demeanor in the pre-Pre Game warm ups was pretty loose with a lot of dunks and such. That lax attitude seemed to follow them onto the court today. Dion shot threes with some younger kids on the opposite side of the court from the rest of the team. Brandon was getting stretched at half court. The rest of the guys were doing lob drills. Our three point shooting looked great in warm-ups. Dion made like 8 in a row as this little kid fed him the ball.

The game was one of those stinkers you hope to avoid in a visitor's building but seem to follow us around this season. We made foreign dude look all conference early and then allowed #10 to go off in the second. RU did a great job of picking apart the zone early. The back three guys were playing across the center of the paint, which left one guy open running the baseline behind them. RU popped the ball to the middle and then dumped it low for some easy layups. Eventually we dropped down, but we still couldn't rebound. RU had several loose and deflected balls fall right into their laps, which helped save possessions and kept the game close. Neither team was looking to shoot threes at all, which surprised me a bit. It almost seemed like JB told our guys not to take them unless it was wide open. Everything was dribble drive, which was scary every time KJO had the ball. I don't know where he left his handle, but he better find it before the Big Dance. He dribbled off his own leg three times.

Brandon and CJ had some sick throw downs which lit the roof on fire. I did not expect Brandon's. It looked like he'd never get that ball.

I found myself paying more attention to the SU huddle due to my vantage point. It's interesting to note that JB does not talk the entire time out, and I can see why. TV timeouts are an eternity. JB and the team sat there while the band was playing and didn't say a word. When the band stopped, JB addressed the guys and went over what he wanted them to do. It was quick, to the point, and the rest of the time was just rest period. One time he didn't say much of anything and Hop addressed the guys. It was very interesting to watch all those interactions.

I could write for another hour, but don't have time. It was a great time. A win is a win, but I am sick of these slow down, no offense affairs. We better get these games out of our system before March. We can't play offense like we did today and hope to advance. And we need to solve the rebounding problem.

Kudos to all the Orange fans under the roof today. I think we represented proudly.

To be honest, it didn't come across that well on TV. Could be where they place mics, that they focused on rutgirls students, etc. You could hear the orange fans but when rutgirls did something good it was a lot louder sounding on TV.

To be honest, it didn't come across that well on TV. Could be where they place mics, that they focused on rutgirls students, etc. You could hear the orange fans but when rutgirls did something good it was a lot louder sounding on TV.

I think it was a combination of their student section (which was packed), and our guys never running away with it. Every time we started to get loud in the second half, RU would get a three or a putback to kill our cheers.

I think it was a combination of their student section (which was packed), and our guys never running away with it. Every time we started to get loud in the second half, RU would get a three or a putback to kill our cheers.

That's probably true too. We seem most games to have 1 big run that sets the crowd off.

The loudest SU sounds I heard on TV were the Scoooooooooop! cheers.

What were the chants directed towards Fab when he was shooting free throws? One time it sounded like " you are ugly".

The loudest SU sounds I heard on TV were the Scoooooooooop! cheers.

The guys in front and behind me HATED the Scoop cheers. They made comments after every Scoop basket. I was laughing my ass off.

I was surprised by how loud the RU folks came across on TV. The mics must have been inside the student section.

What were the chants directed towards Fab when he was shooting free throws? One time it sounded like " you are ugly".

That's what it was. My son and I screamed back "you are LOSING!" after he sunk the second free throw. Later on in the game when Fab went back to the line they were screaming "Hooked on Phon-ics". I had to laugh at that one. That was good. Their students were loud today. They did well. They had Tony Soprano and Bruce Springsteen big heads, along with the Jeremy Lin in the front row.

There was once were you could hear the LGO chants. But other than the Scooooop moments you didn't get much on TV, though the announcers made mention of the Orange fans filling the place up.

They showed a section that was covered in orange about 4-5 times throughout the game.

Too the kid in section 207 that couldn't be older than 6 heckling the rutgers fans as they were leaving...bravo, you have been raised correctly

My guess was 60/40 Rutgers fans. They had much of the lower sections, but in the third tier, especially opposite the benches, it was filled with SU fans. It was definitely loud up there.

It was a great crowd, with rowdy, loud cheers for both teams. Nice atmosphere in a bare bones, glorified HS gym that looks like some kind of nuclear bunker from the outside.

Late in the game (4 point lead, I think), Rutgers with the ball, I was very surprised at how loud the "De-fense!!! De-fense!!!" cheers were. Way to represent, Orange Nation!

I'm glad they only showed the two kids wearing the squid hats 200 times. 201 and it might have gotten annoying.

I was there. It was more like 70-3o RU fans.

The RAC is crowded, hot and uncomfortable.

But I'll miss it.

The RU fans we encountered were relatively quiet, but seemed rather annoyed with the number of Orange shirts converging on the building. I was rather annoyed with the size of the hot dogs they served. They charged more than the Dome does for a dog, and they were about half the girth. In addition, their portion sizes on the nachos left much to be desired. Guess I should have eaten before going in. Oh well, you live and you learn.

Great write-up Pete. Obviously you attended Tomcat University for your schooling......

that was one and "hooked on phonics"was another.the halftime show was great,the hot dogs are boiled( yuck)and not nearly as good as the dome, but they will put kraut on the for an extra charge---not worth the 4.00 price w/o the kraut,though. we had good representation at this game my section 201 was almost all su and between 35-65 y/o with some little ones sprinkled in.

Great write-up Pete. Obviously you attended Tomcat University for your schooling......

Unfortunately Tomcat had to drop me two letter grades on this attempt because I forgot to mention the tubas. When I told him my seats were obscured view in relation to the band, he sent me to detention. ;)

In actuality I wasn't even trying to emulate Tomcat because no one can. I mentioned the food because I was pissed at how little I actually got for my $$$. Plus, their game program sucked. It was one program to cover four home games and not one friggin page was dedicated to the visiting teams. No rosters, no anything. To top that off, the damn insert they gave us to follow game stats was blank. No players listed. You had to fill it out yourself. Thumbs down on the food and the program. Thumbs up to our fans in the house and to our boys for getting it done. And respect to the RU students for their decibels and the Hooked on Phonics chant. The squid hat dudes sucked though. ;)

Unfortunately Tomcat had to drop me two letter grades on this attempt because I forgot to mention the tubas. When I told him my seats were obscured view in relation to the band, he sent me to detention. ;)

In actuality I wasn't even trying to emulate Tomcat because no one can. I mentioned the food because I was pissed at how little I actually got for my $$$. Plus, their game program sucked. It was one program to cover four home games and not one friggin page was dedicated to the visiting teams. No rosters, no anything. To top that off, the damn insert they gave us to follow game stats was blank. No players listed. You had to fill it out yourself. Thumbs down on the food and the program. Thumbs up to our fans in the house and to our boys for getting it done. And respect to the RU students for their decibels and the Hooked on Phonics chant. The squid hat dudes sucked though. ;)
roster was on page 8 of the program,i believe which for us visitors was a shi... program---agree on the food as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom