Report: Letter Winners of Distinction Dinner | Syracusefan.com

Report: Letter Winners of Distinction Dinner

cto

Administrator
I was hoping Tomcat would have posted something first that I could respond to. But since he has not yet done so, I will say just three things.

1) This is a great annual event that more of you should attend. Held every year honoring former SU athletes for their accomplishments after their playing days.

2). Star of the night was Mike Hopkins. One of the best acceptance speeches I have ever heard. Anything I could say here would not do it justice. I hope Tom of the photographic memory will recap if.

3) Award for best supporting actor of the evening goes to our own Outoftownie (whose screen name I have probably screwed up but just say he was an All American lacrosse player here). When the lighting on the stage failed, he rushed to the rescue with a flashlight which he held so that an award winner could read his speech. Aside from Mike's talk, it was the highlight of the evening.

Last edited:
Syracuse Basketball ‏@Cuse_MBB 1m1 minute ago
@Coach_Hopkins: Hopkins Family! ” Congrats Hop on Letterwinner of Distinction honor, well deserved!

B168SpJIMAAX-KR.jpg

I was hoping Tomcat would have posted something first that I could respond to. But since he didn't I will say just three things.

1) this is a great annual event that more of you should attend. Held every year honoring former SU athletes for their lives after their playing days.

2). Star of the night was Mike Hopkins. One of the best acceptance speeches I have ever heard. Anything I could say here would not do it justice. I hope Tom of the photographic memory will recap if.

3) Star of the evening was our Outoftownie (whose screen name I have probably screwed up but just say he was an All American lacrosse player). When the lighting on the stage failed, he rushed to the rescue with a flashlight to help an award winner read his speech. Aside from Mike, it was the highlight of the evening.
It was a great event. Urge anyone who loves SU hoops to try and attend this in the future.

Here is a quick overview of what happened when Mike was honored:

The process of honoring someone started with the emcee, John Nicholson, reading a short review of their accomplishments on and off the playing field. Then a short video was played that talked about the honoree in more detail, with pictures and sometimes video of them in action.

When it was time to honor Mike, John made a nice little intro for Hop, but instead of the Mike video playing immediately afterwards, there was a technical glitch and the screens just showed Mike's name. After 10 seconds of this, Mike turned to good buddy Adrian Autry, laughed heartily and said "I was so bad I don't have any highlights!" and laughed some more. Eventually the glitch was resolved and the video played. It was nice but Joyve and I were both disappointed that the famous picture of Mike with blood running down his face during the still painful UMass loss in Worcester (damn you Calipari) was not included. That picture. more than any picture or video, epitomized Mike's playing career at Syracuse.

Mike was called to the stage to give him speech. He sprang up to the microphone. Big smile. Long pause. It was clear he was not going to be reading something. It was clear he was going to speak from the heart, and it was going to be emotional.

He started by saying he was from Laguna Beach, California. The most beautiful place on earth. But all he wanted to do was spend time at the 2 basketball courts there. Said he was 12 years old when he first got hooked into college basketball. He was watching a game where a player was just dominating play, laughing all the time as he ran down the court. The crowd was absolutely huge, the announcers said there were 30,000 fans there. The fans were going crazy and were wearing shirts that said things like "It Is Freaking Cold Here".

He couldn't believe the atmosphere and the excitement. Found out the place the game was being played was the Carrier Dome and the player he was watching was Pearl Washington.

As this point, he almost lost it as his eyes met Pearl's. He said as an aside (not sure who he was talking to, maybe Autry?) "No, you were wrong. You said I would start crying 10 seconds in and it has been at least 15".

He went on to thank Pearl for inspiring him. He developed a dream, a crazy dream, where someday he would play at the Dome for Syracuse. I am paraphasing here:

"I was small, I was skinny, I didn't even have hair on my arms. I stunk. I really did. It was a ridiculous dream. It really was.

But I made it my goal and I worked, really really hard. I had a great coach in HS, Coach McKnight, who probably has won more games than anyone, with a 97% winning percentage. He was a great help. And somehow, my mentor, the guy I owe everything to (eyes brimming; looks at JB), somehow he decided to give me a chance (I think they took me only as a way to get other, much better players from my HS down the road).

I am so grateful, so fortunate to be here, to be surrounded by such great people. My dad told me a long time ago, the secret to a happy life is to work as hard as you can and to surround yourself with great people.

I have done that. Not to blow my own horn but every time I went on the court to play, I made sure I gave it 120%. Everything I had. Same thing as a coach. I strive to make sure I give my best possible effort every day. Coach (JB) taught me that and it is a huge part of who I am today.

Went on to thank a lot of his friends, the rest of the coaching staff and support staff at SU, his family and many others. Ended the search reminding the crowd his blood runs Orange, that he loves Syracuse greatly and shouted "Go Cuse" and saluted as he ended his speech.

All 5 of the honorees (it was a hell of a group; their accomplishments were amazing) gave excellent speeches. But Hop was the one that really killed it.

Always loved Hop as a player and a person and now a lot of the reasons are verified. How fortunate Syracuse is to have him for our future coach.

First, it was a great evening honoring some outstanding former student-athletes. An great group of honorees, from Hop and Pearl to Betsy Zaplin to the football guys. All were well deserved and very entertaining. I highly recommend the Letterwinner of Distinction Dinner to any SU sports fan. It is a SU sports history lesson in one night. 59 football national champions, SU hoops legends, title 9 trailblazers, it's all packed into one night.

Second, it was great to reconnect with the board members in attendance. Just in case verification was needed, I had a Ginger Ale (after a martini and a couple glasses of wine) it was delicious and very refreshing, surprised that tomcat didn't mention in his review. As for the flashlight situation, the on stage lighting was strange. A blinding Spotlight was on the honoree, but the was no light on the podium. Gerry Everling ('65 football and wrestling) was struggling to see his tiny 3x5 notecards and the flashlight on my iPhone 6 was a perfect solution. Technology, it's pretty amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for posting this. At least I got to see a little bit of Betsy. She only has still photos on her facebook page, and some of my friends who were there also have photos. I really would have loved to see her get this honor.
I remember after we won the championship in 2003. a few of us went to the NY athletic club to see JB and Gino A. get honored. Betsy and I were there, and about 6 other people at our table. We were so excited that Sherm came over and talked to our table. And now here she is sharing this honor with him.

First, it was a great evening honoring some outstanding former student-athletes. An great group of honorees, from Hop and Pearl to Betsy Zaplin to the football guys. All were well deserved and very entertaining. I highly recommend the Letterwinner of Distinction Dinner to any SU sports fan. It is a SU sports history lesson in one night. 59 football national champions, SU hoops legends, title 9 trailblazers, it's all packed into one night.

Second, it was great to reconnect with the board members in attendance. Just in case verification was needed, I had a Ginger Ale (after a martini and a couple glasses of wine) it was delicious and very refreshing, surprised that tomcat didn't mention in his review. As for the flashlight situation, the on stage lighting was strange. A blinding Spotlight was on the honoree, but the was no light on the podium. Gerry Everling ('65 football and wrestling) was struggling to see his tiny 3x5 notecards and the flashlight on my iPhone 6 was a perfect solution. Technology, it's pretty amazing.

Great to see you on the hoops side again, OOT. Hope you and yours are well, and that you get to spend a little time on this board in the coming season. Adrian awaits!

It was a great event. Urge anyone who loves SU hoops to try and attend this in the future.

The process of honoring someone started with the emcee, John Nicholson, reading a short review of their accomplishments on and off the playing field. Then a short video was played that talked about the honoree in more detail, with pictures and sometimes video of them in action.

When it was time to honor Mike, John made a nice little intro for Hop, but instead of the Mike video playing immediately afterwards, there was a technical glitch and the screens just showed Mike's name. After 10 seconds of this, Mike turned to good buddy Adrian Autry, laughed heartily and said "I was so bad I don't have any highlights!" and laughed some more. Eventually the glitch was resolved and the video played. It was nice but Joyve and I were both disappointed that the famous picture of Mike with blood running down his face during the still painful UMass loss in Worcester (damn you Calipari) was not included. That picture. more than any picture or video, epitomized Mike's playing career at Syracuse.

Mike was called to the stage to give him speech. He sprang up to the microphone. Big smile. Long pause. It was clear he was not going to be reading something. It was clear he was going to speak from the heart, and it was going to be emotional.

He started by saying he was from Laguna Beach, California. The most beautiful place on earth. But all he wanted to do was spend time at the 2 basketball courts there. Said he was 12 years old when he first got hooked into college basketball. He was watching a game where a player was just dominating play, laughing all the time as he ran down the court. The crowd was absolutely huge, the announcers said there were 30,000 fans there. The fans were going crazy and were wearing shirts that said things like "It Is Freaking Cold Here".

He couldn't believe the atmosphere and the excitement. Found out the place the game was being played was the Carrier Dome and the player he was watching was Pearl Washington.

As this point, he almost lost it as his eyes met Pearl's. He said as an aside (not sure who he was talking to, maybe Autry?) "No, you were wrong. You said I would start crying 10 seconds in and it has been at least 15".

He went on to thank Pearl for inspiring him. He developed a dream, a crazy dream, where someday he would play at the Dome for Syracuse. I am paraphasing here:

"I was small, I was skinny, I didn't even have hair on my arms. I stunk. I really did. It was a ridiculous dream. It really was.

But I made it my goal and I worked, really really hard. I had a great coach in HS, Coach McKnight, who probably has won more games than anyone, with a 97% winning percentage. He was a great help. And somehow, my mentor, the guy I owe everything to (eyes brimming; looks at JB), somehow he decided to give me a chance (I think they took me only as a way to get other, much better players from my HS down the road).

I am so grateful, so fortunate to be here, to be surrounded by such great people. My dad told me a long time ago, the secret to a happy life is to work as hard as you can and to surround yourself with great people.

I have done that. Not to blow my own horn but every time I went on the court to play, I made sure I gave it 120%. Everything I had. Same thing as a coach. I strive to make sure I give my best possible effort every day. Coach (JB) taught me that and it is a huge part of who I am today.

Went on to thank a lot of his friends, the rest of the coaching staff and support staff at SU, his family and many others. Ended the search reminding the crowd his blood runs Orange, that he loves Syracuse greatly and shouted "Go Cuse" and saluted as he ended his speech.

All 5 of the honorees (it was a hell of a group; their accomplishments were amazing) gave excellent speeches. But Hop was the one that really killed it.

Tomcat has the most amazing memory. He recreated Mike's speech here... 12 hours after the fact ... without having taken a single note at the dinner. (I know that because I was sitting next to him). Just amazing. I wish I had that kind of total recall when I was a newspaper reporter (back in the day before reporters recorded conversations/interviews).

And you're the one who killed it here. Thanks as always for these fantastic recaps, Tom. We all owe you a[nother] ginger ale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom