Retired Numbers | Syracusefan.com

Retired Numbers

CuseMan4

Starter
Since the one and done rule it’s obvious good/great players don’t stick around college basketball for long. With that being said in my opinion it’s much harder to have your number retired by the university if you are at the school for one or two years unless you do something like Carmelo. Since the one and done rule took effect in 2006 I believe? Does anyone think we have any players worthy of having their number up in the rafters, alongside the Motens, Melos and Pearls? ...Gbinije? Fair? Devo? Flynn?...just throwing names out there

Since the one and done rule it’s obvious good/great players don’t stick around college basketball for long. With that being said in my opinion it’s much harder to have your number retired by the university if you are at the school for one or two years unless you do something like Carmelo. Since the one and done rule took effect in 2006 I believe? Does anyone think we have any players worthy of having their number up in the rafters, alongside the Motens, Melos and Pearls? ...Gbinije? Fair? Devo? Flynn?...just throwing names out there
None of the names you just mentioned. The players have to have been great. Not very good.

• John Wallace must be next... no question he's the 3rd leading scorer all-time at Syracuse and kept us alive during the 1990's sanctions.
  • G-Mac in 10 years, I'd be okay with that. 4th all-time leading scorer, huge contributions to our 2003 title team, led us to multiple BET titles, NCAA runs, etc.
  • Warrick #5 all time scorer. Big time contributor to title team, 1st team all American as a senior
I draw the line there. You either need to be a top 5-top7 all time scorer/rebounder etc. or lead us to a title. Playing 37 games and leaving for the NBA doesn't make you a legend.

None of the names you just mentioned. The players have to have been great. Not very good.
Exactly what I’m saying though, with the one and done rule how many of those kids are actually going to stay around to have a major impact on the program worthy of having their jersey retired...pretty much none. I’m agreeing with you here and that’s why I bring this up. I do however think Fair has the best shot out of the last 10 or so years.

2kr2hg.jpg

I sometimes wonder if they will retire my number and/or create a board hall of fame for me to be inducted into when I leave. Some boards do have a HOF, which might be cool here.

I vote for John Wallace next. and would have to look at the numbers of the rest to determine the remaining order.

Last edited:
There is no question that John Wallace should be next.

After Big John, the three names that come to mind are Hakim Warrick, Stephen Thompson and Raf Addison.

There is no question that John Wallace should be next.

After Big John, the three names that come to mind are Hakim Warrick, Stephen Thompson and Raf Addison.
Rudy Hackett?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom